Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Editing and the book growth problem

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this of their writing, but when I'm editing a manuscript, it has this uncanny ability to actually grow in size, even if I'm doing large amounts of hack, slash, and burn. Have any of you seen this before? I'm not sure how many actually keep an eye on their word counts, but I like to do it.

It's like a car geek who keeps one eye on the road, and one eye on the tachometer. But in my case it's one eye on the text and one eye on the word count. lol. I know it seems odd, but I think it's just fun and intriguing to watch how the word count changes over the course of editing.

Anyone else do this? And do you see your word counts actually rise as you do your editing?
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I generally find myself adding when I edit/revise. My first drafts tend to be a bit sparse on some things.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 04:52 AM   #3
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
This is generally true for me as well. My WIP's first draft was 60K works, now it's 87K and growing.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I think I tend to add, though I've never kept track of it.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
My books tend to get bigger with each draft because my early drafts leave out setting and description. During the revision/editing phase, I typically cut words, though. I can get wordy at times.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
dlmartin6
Debra L Martin
dlmartin6 doesn't litterdlmartin6 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I know during the editing process, my co-author and I, add in the background stuff - adding to the depth of the story. Letting the reader see, smell and feel themselves in a scene. Sometimes there's lots of words slashed, but these are mostly unnecessary and not adding anything to move the story forward. We usually end up with more words after a number of edits.
dlmartin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think that's fairly common. By editing, we take out the superfluous and flesh out what's left with pertinent facts we omitted the first time around. And the more you edit and revise, the better it gets. After awhile you learn what's necessary to the story and what's not.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Ahh. I don't call that "editing." I call that "revision." To me, editing is the last thing one does to prepare a book for sale or submission.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think my biggest thing is that I am doing a lot of hack, slash, and burn in my editing, whacking out large chunks of stuff that just doesn't work and either rewriting it, or just completely removing it, and yet the story still gets bigger. That just seems so counterintuitive to me. You would think that if you're subtracting a lot of things from the book because you told too much or got too wordy in sections that it would actually grow. Yes, I'm adding in a few areas here and there, but it never seems like I'm actually adding *THAT* much. That's why it seems so weird.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I think the danger is that you no longer "see" what is there, and so you think you have to describe it at greater length or in a different way. I just hope I'm not repeating myself.

Last edited by Luke King; 11-09-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

That's why it's good to edit for a while, and then take a month or more away from the book to let your brain cool down and get refocused on the story again. Sometimes what I'll do is write on one book for a while, then move on to the next, and then another before coming back to it. That's what's so nice about having a "todo" list as long as mine is. You always have lots of variety in your writing to keep you from hitting that point of over indulgence in one particular book.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #12
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this of their writing, but when I'm editing a manuscript, it has this uncanny ability to actually grow in size, even if I'm doing large amounts of hack, slash, and burn. Have any of you seen this before? I'm not sure how many actually keep an eye on their word counts, but I like to do it.

It's like a car geek who keeps one eye on the road, and one eye on the tachometer. But in my case it's one eye on the text and one eye on the word count. lol. I know it seems odd, but I think it's just fun and intriguing to watch how the word count changes over the course of editing.

Anyone else do this? And do you see your word counts actually rise as you do your editing?
I slash and burn, then I add intricacies to the plot and it ends up the size it was before - Few Are Chosen went from 120k to 90k to just over 100k.

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
I try to cut, especially after having people read my work and give me feedback. In fact, I actually edited - shortened - the print version of my book, then I published the digital version.

Randy
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
Enraptured
Connoisseur
Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Touch
My books always get smaller when I edit them.
Enraptured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
Tony_A20
Enthusiast
Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 3
I like to think I plan my books carefully, preparing outlines and plot structure, so the editing stage is mostly cleaning up sentence structure, word usage, and correcting grammar. I seldom cut/rewrite more than a couple of sentences at a time. My main effort is directed at reducing wordiness, and making the story flow for the reader. I have found a text speaking application (TextAloud) very helpful in this regard.

The upshot is, I generally reduce the wordcount by 5%, and produce a better story.

Tony A
Tony_A20 is offline   Reply With Quote