Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Hev b
Hev b began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
lonely planet guides

I see that amazon are selling lonely planet guides in kindle format. Does anyone know if the kindle format can be downloaded for the sony reader, or if it is possible to get LP guides for the sony?
Hev b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
You cannot load teh Kindle format to a Sony device. Lonely Planet do pdf versions though, however Sony doesn't have the greatest software for viewing pdfs. As you can also buy the Lonely Planet guides pdf versions by Chapter rather than the whole book you may wish to try a chapter first.
Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
You can buy guides in digital format, by chapter, directly from Lonley Planet. The guides are in pdf format. I have no idea how well they will render on the Sony.

Loney Planet Guides (by chapter)
Angst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I've used LP pdfs on my 505 (specifically the Slovenia, Shanghai and Tibet sections from the Eastern European and Chinese guides).

The map pages wouldn't zoom in beyond small, reflow worked fine for the other pages.

Since you only need to buy one chapter why not try it? They've recently moved to a flat pricing for all chapters rather than pricing on size, so pick the biggest chapter you're interested in and go for it!
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:09 AM   #5
dsenior
dsenior began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505 and Sony T1
I have tried it and not sure I would recommend doing it. I have just downloaded the Yorkshire chapter from the UK Lonely Planet. Downloading the 66 pages 3.5mb pdf file was easy from their site and reasonably priced. Viewing of my Sony 505 was not so good. The zoom function had no effect on the font size which remained small and difficult to view. It might be my age! Even with reading glasses it was small. Interestingly some text were in text boxes which appeared large. Turning pages were slow and spoilt the experience. At times I thought my 505 had crashed. So using the 505 in the "field" may not be practical. It may be easier to print it out.
dsenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert