Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-08-2009, 02:31 AM   #46
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
One man's spam is another man's lunch meat. There does seem to be a moderator bias in favor of the Sony & the Kindle.
Even if there was (which there isn't), so what?

Just because an "official" representative of a company - with which we have no affiliation - makes duplicate posts of something that has been posted in our forums hours and days before doesn't make his post in any more "official" or "newsworthy".

I wish we would receive a little more respect from someone who is on the verge of abusing our community as a marketing tool to increase sales.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:31 AM   #47
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
and here we were told that Aztak's cost was so high that selling them under $200 was losing money? Same spin different day.
I seriously doubt that anyone is losing money on ereaders. As consumer electronics go, these thing have one of the highest margins around. When Asus and Acer can build full on netbooks and make a profit at $300 each, how can anyone not be making a ton of money selling ereaders with no keyboard (to speak of), no hard drive, a processor that's whimpy even by cell phone standards, a tiny battery, an open source OS, etc. for two or three hundred dollars? Build cost for these things can't be over about fifty bucks.

Why do you think everyone's jumping on the band wagon? The margins these things draw can only be dreamed of in any other niche of the consumer electronics arena.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 03:59 AM   #48
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Surely no one is considering any loss on selling reading devices. But the margins will vary quite a lot between the hundreds of thousands of items Amazon and/or Sony have manufactured and the somewhat few thousands e.g. Bookeen, Astak or other small companies can afford at one time.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:54 AM   #49
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Surely no one is considering any loss on selling reading devices. But the margins will vary quite a lot between the hundreds of thousands of items Amazon and/or Sony have manufactured and the somewhat few thousands e.g. Bookeen, Astak or other small companies can afford at one time.
Even distinguishing high volume and low volume sales, ebook readers are some of the most egregiously overpriced consumer devices available. I find it laughable that people are happy that we've broken the $200 price barrier for inferior technology and mediocre design (and I'd shake my head at anyone who tries to tell me that color choices make any real difference).

Wodin is absolutely right about why many manufacturers are trying to hop on. They're after easy profits with minimal fuss. Choices may be a good thing, if they're not all just clones of the same 2 or 3 devices. Getting some greedy big companies into the game may hurt sales of the independent clone salesmen, but it may be for the benefit of the technology. Big players will not be able to compete well with straight-up clones of others' designs. Perhaps they'll continue using the same low-grade technology, but will have to distinguish themselves with design and interface innovation. That doesn't mean there will be big improvements...but I can't imagine it getting any worse.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #50
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post

Just because an "official" representative of a company - with which we have no affiliation - makes duplicate posts of something that has been posted in our forums hours and days before doesn't make his post in any more "official" or "newsworthy".

I wish we would receive a little more respect from someone who is on the verge of abusing our community as a marketing tool to increase sales.
The only abuse I see is that of MR is not reporting on ALL devices from companies both large and small.

It appears there is a form of censorship being practiced. There are duplicate posts on just about all devices.

Look at your week in recap - Sony with two articles - Astak with none - Somehow I recall not only the Official Press Release, but also a price cut RETROACTIVELY on the Astak Pocket Pro.

Last edited by Musicman; 08-08-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #51
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
The only abuse I see is that of MR is not reporting on ALL devices from companies both large and small.

It appears there is a form of censorship being practiced. There are duplicate posts on just about all devices.
Last time I checked, iRex was NOT a large company.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #52
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Last time I checked, iRex was NOT a large company.
Either they luckily slipped passed the censor, or they are viewed as no challenge to Sony or the Kindle.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #53
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Either they luckily slipped passed the censor, or they are viewed as no challenge to Sony or the Kindle.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #54
Musicman
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
What can I say, Mel Gibson has nothing on me as far as conspiracy theories go!
Old 08-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #55
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post

Are you implying that MR does have an affiliation with Sony & Amazon?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #56
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Slayda, why are you asking?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #57
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I seriously doubt that anyone is losing money on ereaders. As consumer electronics go, these thing have one of the highest margins around. When Asus and Acer can build full on netbooks and make a profit at $300 each, how can anyone not be making a ton of money selling ereaders with no keyboard (to speak of), no hard drive, a processor that's whimpy even by cell phone standards, a tiny battery, an open source OS, etc. for two or three hundred dollars? Build cost for these things can't be over about fifty bucks.

Why do you think everyone's jumping on the band wagon? The margins these things draw can only be dreamed of in any other niche of the consumer electronics arena.
Perhaps you're too young to remember when the HP-35 calculator first came out at $395. It had very limited storage and no programability but it was the only hand-held, scientific calculator on the market and was probably did not have much of a markup. It was new technology, just like e-ink screens are today.

Now you can purchase a programable scientific calculator for about $20. Eventually ebook readers will also be greatly reduced in price as technological advances are made.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #58
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Well, even if there are a lot of small companies jumping the bandwagon right now, the customer still will benefit from the current market development.

1.) The more competition, the sooner prices will fall
2.) The more companies buy from some large manufacturers, the cheaper a single unit gets; consequence, see 1.)
3.) The software will distinguish the devices. Stability, updates, functionality, features. As long as the technology itself doesn't show that much of a rapid improvement (and it won't), I'll stick to the company which offers the best firmware.

But at least I'm able to decide.

Back to the current discussion: I also somehow get the impression the MR is in favor of news from Amazon or Sony. So what? Those are the big two companies right now. It's only natural that there is more interest in news about them than in any small company.

I'm not interested in Kindle news, so I don't read them. I'm not that much interestet in Sony, so I just flip through those news. Those are the forums at MR I usually don't visit either. It's quite a large board right now, with space and room for any device and any preference.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #59
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Perhaps you're too young to remember when the HP-35 calculator first came out at $395. It had very limited storage and no programability but it was the only hand-held, scientific calculator on the market and was probably did not have much of a markup. It was new technology, just like e-ink screens are today.

Now you can purchase a programable scientific calculator for about $20. Eventually ebook readers will also be greatly reduced in price as technological advances are made.
Main difference is that the technology used in these ebook readers is not new and not expensive. Technologically speaking, they're inferior to most PDAs and cell phones. It's not the build cost that is driving market prices with these devices. Unfortunately, technology is rarely what determines the value of a product when it comes to marketing that product.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #60
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Back to the current discussion: I also somehow get the impression the MR is in favor of news from Amazon or Sony. So what? Those are the big two companies right now. It's only natural that there is more interest in news about them than in any small company.

I'm not interested in Kindle news, so I don't read them. I'm not that much interestet in Sony, so I just flip through those news. Those are the forums at MR I usually don't visit either. It's quite a large board right now, with space and room for any device and any preference.
I don't think there's a significant problem with information about products from smaller companies...it's the relatively shameless abuse of the website by representatives from those companies for advertising.

I don't mind hearing about the company's news, though I strongly dislike the way they're trying to weave advertising into it directly. I'm sure that sentiment is shared by quite a few folks.