Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-17-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
PDFOnline converts to PDF and back

PDFOnline is a free online solution to convert documents in various formats, images, and web pages to Adobe PDF. Even better, you can also upload an existing PDF file to receive back its HTML version via E-Mail (only restriction: 2MB size limit).

The results look good, no wonder since they use the SDK by BCL Technologies which is known to deliver pretty good results.

[via Lifehacker]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Wow, it better do a good job... the product is $2,500! (A measly $1,000 if you just want text output.)

It's a shame there's not better choices for converting pdf/eReader/iSilo formats into html/rtf/text.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
I used to have a service up for converting PDF to Plucker, but had to take it down due to some pretty ugly abuse from users in Brazil and other countries.

I found one company who created an entire service which used my free PDF to Plucker conversions for their customers... to the tune of over 700 conversions per-day, every day. They never even asked if they could use it in that capacity.

Sigh.

I may put it back up again, but I'll throttle it and add a way for users to "extend" the number of conversions per-day with donations or some other method to offset the bandwidth costs.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:16 AM   #4
tckober73
tckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it is

Device: PalmOne TungstenE / T5
Hi Hacker!
How about an add-on to plucker desktop?
Would be sweet to convert pdf to plucker within the desktop.
tckober73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:19 AM   #5
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckober73
Hi Hacker!
How about an add-on to plucker desktop?
Would be sweet to convert pdf to plucker within the desktop.
Probably unlikely, since this is non-free and I'm sure requires Windows-specific DLLs and controls to function properly (i.e. won't work on Linux or OSX using Plucker Desktop).

But why not email the maintainer of Plucker Desktop and ask? I'm sure he'd have a better answer than I would.
Advert
Old 05-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
Tomazaz
Tomazaz began at the beginning.

Another good free source to PDF converter at http://www.freepdfconvert.com

It can also convert back PDF to DOC and also support hyperlinks.
Tomazaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:21 AM   #7
hacker
Technology Mercenary

Interesting project, but they're just using Windows' Adobe distiller components on the back-end there (and it failed on quite a few of my documents, claiming they were passworded [they were not]). A neat project, but still has a ways to go before it can be really used for production.

The 30-minute delay between conversions is a bit of a pain too.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
Gavin
Gavin began at the beginning.

Device: TungstenE
There is a good, opensource PDF print driver available for Windows at
http://sector7g.wurzel6.de/pdfcreator/

The device that best handles PDF will be a shoe-in for best ereader I'd imagine.

Gav
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote