Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
chispi2
chispi2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Tech Specs of Hardware

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and am thinking on buying the Iliad 2nd Edition. I am worried about the power consumtion and would like to tell you some ideas, which perhaps can be of help.

If we had the technical specifications of all hardware -I am interested on transfer rates of RAM and internal Flash-, we could try to calculate how much time do the ebook need to hibernate after showing a page and waking up after pressing a key.

Since year 2000 I haven't programmed in C seriously, therefore I would need some time to understand the coding and the current project state.

I would let you know when I decide me on buying one.

have a nice day

Chispi2
chispi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
First you'd have to figure out how to get the iLiad to hibernate. They don't do that currently. The firmware will throttle the CPU in between page turns, but so far nobody that I know of has gotten the device to be able to hibernate. I think (although I'm not an expert) that the current kernel shipped with the iLiad does not support hibernation. That wasn't officially added until 2.6, and the iLiad comes with a 2.4 kernel.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
KewlKid38
KewlKid38 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
First you'd have to figure out how to get the iLiad to hibernate. They don't do that currently. The firmware will throttle the CPU in between page turns, but so far nobody that I know of has gotten the device to be able to hibernate. I think (although I'm not an expert) that the current kernel shipped with the iLiad does not support hibernation. That wasn't officially added until 2.6, and the iLiad comes with a 2.4 kernel.
I'm a new developer to the forums. I'm also yet to purchase my iLiad. This issue was one that has interested me and had me looking at code from iRex. Regarding the linux kernal and it's capablities.

According to the UP_APIC Powermanagement Patch e-mail found here. The suspend mode works fine.

I then checked the code from iRex and that patch appears to be available. I was thinking of just implementing that on my iLiad and seeing if I could get that to work as a simple win.

I also haven't seen or read anyone else talking about this method of fixing the problem. I was thinking it may not work because someone tried it at some point in time and wrote it off. Any opinions will be accepted kindly.
KewlKid38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
KewlKid38,
Your words will make iLiad users rejoice.
As far as I know, the hibernation feature has been asked for by users since iLiad came to the world, but I never saw any publicly announced efforts, no matter the results, to deal with this problem. I did saw some threads in the forum (or somewhere else) discussed why it's possible (or impossible) to implement hibernation on iLiad, but such assertion is to be evaluated. According to iRex, iLiad's hardware doesn't support hibernation.

You might want to browse these url:
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.p...hlight=suspend
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.p...ht=hibernation

Last edited by ericshliao; 03-08-2009 at 12:07 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #5
KewlKid38
KewlKid38 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
KewlKid38,
Your words will make iLiad users rejoice.
As far as I know, the hibernation feature has been asked for by users since iLiad came to the world, but I never saw any publicly announced efforts, no matter the results, to deal with this problem. I did saw some threads in the forum (or somewhere else) discussed why it's possible (or impossible) to implement hibernation on iLiad, but such assertion is to be evaluated. According to iRex, iLiad's hardware doesn't support hibernation.

You might want to browse these url:
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.p...hlight=suspend
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.p...ht=hibernation
Thank you very much for the links. and the background that I didn't have. According to iRex they were talking about stablity issues with a subspend and a throttling back of the CPU and other resources. I wonder if that ever happened. Since it was in FirmWare 2.7 during the articles.

I also have read of a 2.6 kernal hack that will boot 2.6 over 2.4 or some patches to patch the 2.4 kernal to 2.6

I also wonder about iRex's non involvement to keep the developers happy or more motivated to work on there iLiads. Why aren't they pushing this atleast from the back ground with pats on the back and evanglists?
KewlKid38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Seb7
Seb7 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
KewlKid38, or anyone else, did you manage to try the UP_APIC Powermanagement Patch? Or was there a reason you found not to try it?
Seb7 is offline   Reply With Quote