Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 04:21 AM   #166
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carchase View Post
Not sure if this is what you're asking, but there's an iphone simulator built into the Iphone SDK. The sdk is free once you register. You'll need a mac of course.
Kind of, yeah.
Thanks.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:51 AM   #167
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
You may be able to use a PayPal account attached to a US address but I haven't tried this way. The Kindle App is free so you wont need any money in the PayPal.
I have already tried this; but it didn't work. Still trying to find a way. I have already googled to find a way; but no good luck.
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 05:00 AM   #168
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkabir View Post
Does anyone know how to get kindle application in countries outside USA? I live in New Zealand, and kindle app is not available in appstore here. Any idea?
Register an account at iTunes with a free "redeem code" if you can find one. You don't have to give your credit card this way (select "none" as a payment method) and you can choose USA as your country. AFAIR you'll need some false indentity generator to get a proper ZIP code and state.

There's another method which I didn't try. Go to iTunes store, find a *free* app. Click "Get App", then select "Create New Account". As your payment method select "none."
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #169
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I keep thinking that these big companies force people to do illegal things... Everybody understands "global community", except big companies, that still love to divide the world in small, bite-sized, pieces.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:52 AM   #170
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
So, I spent some time with Automator, Calibre, and MobiDeDRM tonight, and ended up with a nicely automated conversion process between Amazon and Sony. You'll need OS X 10.5, Calibre, and MobiDeDRM installed for this workflow to work, and you'll need to modify it to fit your LRF conversion preferences and specific environment (where you store your ebooks, where you put the MobiDeDRM scripts, what your PID is, etc.), but I thought I'd share it in case anyone else could find it useful. Note that you'll have to already have the Amazon files on your computer first - either through a file browser on a jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch or through a backup extractor.

The program will take either single or multiple files from an initial file open dialog box, and then decrypt them using the MobiDeDRM scripts (which aren't included in this workflow, so you'll have to find them yourself and have them on your computer), convert them to LRF using one of Calibre's mobi2lrf command-line tool, and add them to the Calibre library using the calibredb command-line tool. I've left actually putting the files onto the Reader out of this workflow, so you'll need to use your favorite method for putting books on the Reader once it is done to finish the process. Hope this is of some use to someone else - I know I'll be using it a fair amount.

Workflow: http://files.me.com/ahintz/3dr1b8

Last edited by ahintz; 03-05-2009 at 06:07 AM.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #171
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can someone post a link to iPhone Backup Extractor that works with the iPod Touch under Windows please?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #172
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The app is #4 in the iTunes store for free apps.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #173
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I registered my Son's iPod Touch to my Amazon account. So, now he has access to all 26 of my books. The real nice thing is that you can't buy books from the Kindle app. You have to go into amazon store with Safari to buy books. This means my Son has access to all my ebooks, but has no way to buy more. He has to request that I buy them.

Is there a way to disable Whispersync in the iPod Kindle app?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #174
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Is there a way to disable Whispersync in the iPod Kindle app?

BOb
I can't find a way to define which devices should sync. It seems to be all or nothing.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #175
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Well I'm in the uk, went out and bought an iPod Touch today (needed a new mp3 player anyway).

Setup a US Amazon account and US iTunes account. Bought a $10 gift voucher using my original US Amazon account (which I've had for many a year) using a uk credit card and sent it to me new accounts email address. Successfully redeemed it seconds later.

Registered my iPod to my US iTunes account. Entered my amazon details into the kindle app. Then was able to buy an ebook immediately and sync'ed it with my iPod over wifi.

Sitting reading it now!

Will attempt a backup, extraction, drm removal and conversion for my PRS-505 later after work

By the way I'm all for staying within the law. But it's ridiculous the hoops you have to jump even though you WANT to pay for content!

Last edited by deltop; 03-05-2009 at 11:27 AM.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #176
feisley
feisley began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Another interesting "feature" of the Kindle for iPod/iPhone app is that if you have non-DRM'd MobiPocket format books, you can upload them to your device and read them as well.

Note this only works with a Jailbroken iPod/iPhone and you will need to rename the file extension to .prc for the reader to discover them in the eBooks folder.
feisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #177
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can someone post a link to iPhone Backup Extractor that works with the iPod Touch under Windows please?
Try this: mobilesync-inspect I haven't had much time to play around with this but it looks like it'll work in Windows.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #178
LittleMe
LittleMe began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch. Would like a Kindle 2.
Oops I already posted my thoughts about the app in the iPhone section.

Can anyone tell me the font that the Kindle app uses? I would I like to use it for ereader.
LittleMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #179
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMe View Post
Oops I already posted my thoughts about the app in the iPhone section.

Can anyone tell me the font that the Kindle app uses? I would I like to use it for ereader.
Appears to be Georgia, which is the one I generally use anyway.

(Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind...)
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #180
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I can't find a way to define which devices should sync. It seems to be all or nothing.
Yes, it does seem so.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle