Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-11-2017, 12:18 AM   #1
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Is it ever okay to condemn a book without even attempting to read it?

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/the-t...a-twitter.html

I originally came across this link on a well known blog. It makes disturbing reading. Not only were negative reviews posted by people who openly acknowledged they had not read the book, but some commenting on the article were prepared to pronounce the original criticisms valid without reading the book, placing reliance on "trusted" sources on Twitter. Personally I doubt these trusted sources had themselves read the book.

Am I alone in being absolutely appalled by this?
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:44 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post

I originally came across this link on a well known blog. It makes disturbing reading. Not only were negative reviews posted by people who openly acknowledged they had not read the book, but some commenting on the article were prepared to pronounce the original criticisms valid without reading the book, placing reliance on "trusted" sources on Twitter. Personally I doubt these trusted sources had themselves read the book.

No you are not.

My position is you do not like the book then leave a review--if only you have read or tried to read it. Their are a number of authors that I do not care for but I will never go out and campaign to have their books and lively hood taken from them.

People need to remember that "One man's trash is another man's treasure".

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 01:59 AM   #3
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:

It is to be expected in a world of "Safe Spaces", "groupthink", the seemingly common belief that everyone is the center of their own universe and that difficult ideas should be purged from existence. No one likes all that 'thinky' stuff.

I am appalled, but I am not surprised.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:30 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is it any different to people giving a book they've never read a five-star review? Goodness knows that happens often enough!

Personally I think it's dishonest to "review" any book you've not read, but regrettably it's a common practice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:30 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Yes, I condemn all romance novels. Romance is not a legitimate genre.

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 03:24 AM   #6
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is it any different to people giving a book they've never read a five-star review? Goodness knows that happens often enough!

Personally I think it's dishonest to "review" any book you've not read, but regrettably it's a common practice.
There probably isn't a lot of difference in principle. Fake 5 star reviews are generally motivated by good old fashioned greed, the reverse by malice or in this case a self-righteous desire to censor what you regard to be repulsive. The original reviewer had every right to post her views. However, her next step was apparently to post on Twitter, sparking the hysterical campaign the subject of the article. Unfortunately her actual tweet, linked to in the article, is no longer available via that link.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 AM   #7
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Seems to be the way online nowadays, if someone thinks they have been offended (Rightly, or wrongly) the lynch mob descends.

Especially if it's do do with diversity in any way, accusations of racism are always be taken as proof by the perpetually offended, regardless of any facts.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:13 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There probably isn't a lot of difference in principle. Fake 5 star reviews are generally motivated by good old fashioned greed
I wasn't thinking of fake reviews by the author, but of the situation where "fans" of an author will give a book 5-star reviews as soon as it appears on Amazon (or whatever site we're talking about), even before it's released, on the grounds of "any book X writes is going to be great!".
Old 08-11-2017, 04:14 AM   #9
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
It's nothing new. Not books, but remember the furore surrounding Monty Python's Life of Brian?

Thousands of people criticised the film and even demonstrated against it, many of them proudly announced that they hadn't watched the film and never would do.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:23 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
It's nothing new. Not books, but remember the furore surrounding Monty Python's Life of Brian?

Thousands of people criticised the film and even demonstrated against it, many of them proudly announced that they hadn't watched the film and never would do.
And sticking to books, there were protests about the Harry Potter books promoting "witchcraft", and therefore being contrary to the teachings of the Bible. Many religious schools refused (and still refuse) to have the books in their school library because of that.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:30 AM   #11
darryl
Wizard

If is of course nothing new. Unfortunately it seems to have taken a rather extreme form on Twitter. Even some otherwise sensible people jump on the bandwagon. I actually felt a little sorry for the Teen blogger referred to in the article who was looking forward to the book but then chose not to read it, instead simply accepting the original review. An extreme case of peer pressure. Unfortunately it is confined to neither Twitter nor to Teens.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:31 AM   #12
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

You're a braver man than I, even with the Big Grins!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:06 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
No you are not.

My position is you do not like the book then leave a review--if only you have read or tried to read it. Their are a number of authors that I do not care for but I will never go out and campaign to have their books and lively hood taken from them.

People need to remember that "One man's trash is another man's treasure".

bernie
Remember when there was the outcry for the book sold on Amazon about pedophilia? That was a book most people had not read and would not read but the subject was one they could get behind and complain to amazon for selling the book.

So yes, you can give a thumbs down to a book without having read it depending on the subject matter without having read it first.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:08 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

It's also not realistic. You do not get men running around with no shirts looking for women to fall for them.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:27 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

:::smacks Monkey with pool noodle::::
It is the only genre in my book.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote