Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
Feitosa
Feitosa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle with Duokan
Duokan on PW3?

Anyone tried Duokan on Kindle paperwhite 3 (G090)?

Just took one and to be honest I'm scared to try the jailbreak thing, I mean the PW2's steps with opening the device and soldering thing... I've already broke my old NT with this opening thing...

I used to have some problems with Duokan and it's frustrating but at least it was easier to me install and I was able to read my PDFs.

Thanks
Feitosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:25 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Duokan is not easier to install than the MobileRead jailbreak and packages -- they use our jailbreak (without accreditation), but their own certificates.
Installing third-party software on older Kindle firmware was easier, though -- whether MR or Duokan.

I don't expect Duokan to work, they haven't opened their sources and currently the only way to jailbreak is over the serial port -- which they don't support.
If/When a closed-Kindle jailbreak is discovered, Duokan will incorporate that method.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2015, 03:22 AM   #3
Feitosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Duokan is not easier to install than the MobileRead jailbreak and packages -- they use our jailbreak (without accreditation), but their own certificates.
Installing third-party software on older Kindle firmware was easier, though -- whether MR or Duokan.

I don't expect Duokan to work, they haven't opened their sources and currently the only way to jailbreak is over the serial port -- which they don't support.
If/When a closed-Kindle jailbreak is discovered, Duokan will incorporate that method.
Sorry, but what is MR?

Eschwartz, in my opinion installing jailbreak in my old NT was harder than install duokan... It was necessary to read a lot instead of just put Duokan's files into the Kindle and reboot... But I'm not complaining, in fact, I really appreciated the experience, learning how to jailbreak and, in the end, the results were much better than Duokan.

I had no idea that they used your jailbreak, I thought it were a parallel and independent operational system (like my PC with ubuntu and windows).

Thank you!
Old 07-30-2015, 04:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feitosa View Post
Sorry, but what is MR?
This site: MobileRead.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:22 AM   #5
Feitosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This site: MobileRead.
Thanks Harry! It seems pretty obvious now that you already told me! lol
Advert
Old 07-30-2015, 04:25 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not at all. We all use these abbreviations, but they aren't necessarily obvious to new members .
Old 07-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feitosa View Post
Eschwartz, in my opinion installing jailbreak in my old NT was harder than install duokan... It was necessary to read a lot instead of just put Duokan's files into the Kindle and reboot... But I'm not complaining, in fact, I really appreciated the experience, learning how to jailbreak and, in the end, the results were much better than Duokan.

I had no idea that they used your jailbreak, I thought it were a parallel and independent operational system (like my PC with ubuntu and windows).

Thank you!
Hmm, possibly it is easier. I am the type to think more about the technical difficulties.
The hacks here are modular, you only install the things you want.

Duokan is an alternative OS -- but technically, it hooks into the early boot processes and loads its own window manager and apps. It shares the same kernel.
Either way, to install Duokan you need root -- which is the difficult part.
Imagine if Ubuntu could only be installed if the bootloader was signed by a certificate matching a public key in the BIOS/UEFI. Hmm, Secure Boot, anyone?

Hits rather close to home, doesn't it...
Old 07-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Duokan is an alternative OS
What does it change the o/s to? I was under the impression that it was still Linux - just a different reading application.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

It changes it to Duokan linux. As far as an end-user is concerned -- a I said, on a technical level it is just a low-level window manager sharing the KindleOS bootloader, kernel, initsystem, etc.

P.S. Two independent Ubuntu partitions on the same computer are alternative OS's.
Different linux distros are commonly referred to as distinct OS's.