Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 11-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Moon Reader, converted epubs and Table of Contents

I've noticed that Moon Reader has problems reading some epubs which have been converted to the epub format from some other format. I have seen the problem arise with some converstions from azw3 and mobi.

What usually happens is that Moon Reader will only display the cover, title page etc but will loop back through these rather than progress further in the book. Frustratingly, the same epub shows no errors on validation checking and works normally in all other reader applications tried.

After investigating the matter it turns out that the problem is the table of contents. The latest offending ebook had a TOC with 27 chapters all pointing to the title page. In fact, the ebook has over 40 chapters. The original azw3 file had the same TOC contents.

The best solution is, of course, to produce a correct TOC. For this particular ebook I opened it in Sigil, searched for the word "Chapter" and manually inserted H1 tags around each of the 40 odd chapters. I then generated a TOC, saved, and voila! This will not, of course, be a suitable solution for all similar situations. For instance, this particular book had no H1 tags in it at all and did not mark chapter headings in any unique way.

Another solution is to simply edit the epub to delete the TOC file. Moon Reader will then read the EPub, but of course without the benefit of a working table of contents.

And, a final alternative, simply use another reader for the ebook in question. Personally I am used to Moon Reader which I really like, but I do also hear good things about Mantano and Aldiko.

Hopefully this will be of help to those encountering similar problems.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:12 AM   #2
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have been encountering this same issue. A lot of my .mobi files have been having this type of issue. At first I thought it was my tab's issue. I tried to re-install the application and it was okay until it recurred again. I'll try the solution you've said... Thanks.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert