View Poll Results: Which do you preferr to read on a Tablet or Ereader
Tablet 35 17.95%
EReader 157 80.51%
Other (such as Desktop or a Laptop) 3 1.54%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2013, 03:16 AM   #31
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Well, I gave that one away in 2002, when I got my Palm Treo...
Too bad that model didn't exist in 2002, as it's from 2008... I wanted this one because it can take a few bumps and most importantly, it's water proof (after having drowned 3 phones in quick succession...)

Besides that, I prefer a 7" screen over a 5" or even smaller... (unless that 5" is a 4:3 format)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:30 AM   #32
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Too bad that model didn't exist in 2002, as it's from 2008... I wanted this one because it can take a few bumps and most importantly, it's water proof (after having drowned 3 phones in quick succession...)

Besides that, I prefer a 7" screen over a 5" or even smaller... (unless that 5" is a 4:3 format)
What I meant is my last dumb phone, and they all look quite similar. To each his own, my smart phones have paid for themselves very quickly each time. All depends on your personal situation.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #33
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
What I meant is my last dumb phone, and they all look quite similar. To each his own, my smart phones have paid for themselves very quickly each time. All depends on your personal situation.
I checked out the Note 2 of my mother, for reading. That one has a 5.5" screen. That one I thought had a screen that was on the bottom side of being usable for regular reading. No matter how smart a phone is, I still think it's too small to read from. A phablet comes close, but barely... I found my ideal size in the 7" tablet.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #34
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I haven't picked up an e-ink reader months - my table is my ereader - but sometimes I think it might be nice to own one of the newer front-lit devices. Is that just nostalgia?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #35
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
I just love being able to do everything on one device, and be able to do it faster.
I still use my ereader but just love the tablet, maybe because its new. Haha.
Tried to sync both devices using the kobo app but it didnt seem to work, maybe its just me.

Cheers, mick.
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #36
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I prefer to read on my Kindle Keyboard.
I prefer to read on my bed or a chair with my eink reader in front of me.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I read our local newspaper on my iPad, and an occasional magazine or graphic novel on it as well, but for books I love my Kindle Paperwhite. The iPad's note-taking capabilities for books is the pits, and highlights aren't automatically stored in one place as they are on the Kindle. The iPad is a very poor device for doing research for book reviews, not to mention the glare when trying to read outside during the day, even in the shade.

Ereaders were made for ebooks. For all other portable needs, there are tablets.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #38
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
These old eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
E-reader for my old eyeballs! Tablets give me a killer headache after just a few minutes. I can read on an e-reader for hours.
S
I used a series of old HP pocket pc for over ten years to read prc and mobi format books on. As I like to read in the dark I love my tablet. The price on my cheap "bathtub reader" ebay no name tablet was low enough that if it drops in the water I won't cry too long.

The other features on my samsung tablet don't distract me any more than reading in the same room as my computer which is on 24 7 or having the phone (either cell or landline) ring.

If you are distracted by apps and games then you are not really into your book. Another advantage of a tablet is something I came across on about eight books. They read well in Moon+ Reader Pro (which has a very adaptable brightness level) but isn't my usual first pick when in fbReader all the paragraphs had ran into each other.

If tied to an ereader you are tied to the formats that reader supports and if a new format comes out you will either need a new reader or you will have to skip books of that format. With a tablet you just need to install a new app and 9 times out of 10 it will be available for free.

When amazon closed all the program download links on mobipocket.com and one by one the six hp devices needed a reinstall of the reader with none available because of my stupidity, I swore I would not be tied to one vendor.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #39
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Welcome LadyKate! Enjoy your reading.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #40
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
If tied to an ereader you are tied to the formats that reader supports and if a new format comes out you will either need a new reader or you will have to skip books of that format. With a tablet you just need to install a new app and 9 times out of 10 it will be available for free.
You do have a good point there. I pre-ordered a book on Amazon and I started reading as soon as it came out. When I wanted to read that book during the day, I couldn't use my sony... And using my husband's kindle wasn't an option either as my husband was using that.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #41
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Even though I read on a tablet I still use a certain apprentice and Calibre to convert my books to epub.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #42
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Even though I read on a tablet I still use a certain apprentice and Calibre to convert my books to epub.
Apache
Me too, but I wanted to read the book the moment I saw it was out (why else pre-order it?)
Old 07-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
(why else pre-order it?)
Because it's something random that caught your eye and you were afraid you'd forget about it otherwise?

Because you enjoy the pleasant surprise of books (that you'd put out of your mind months ago) appearing on your device as if by magic?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #44
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Because it's something random that caught your eye and you were afraid you'd forget about it otherwise?

Because you enjoy the pleasant surprise of books (that you'd put out of your mind months ago) appearing on your device as if by magic?
It was my ever pre-ordered book ever... I never pre-order books. So, if I do, I only do it so I will have it at the first opportunity So, taking out the time it would take to start my laptop, find the virtual machine which has the cleaner and conversion software on it, clean and convert it, import it in my main Calibre database, and put it on my tablet + sony, would take way too much time. Especially as it was already late...

At least with my tablet, I don't have to worry about formats. And while I don't really like the Kindle reader at all, it is usable...
Old 07-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
At least with my tablet, I don't have to worry about formats. And while I don't really like the Kindle reader at all, it is usable...
Oh, you're preaching to the choir! Knowing I can read any format from any retailer almost immediately is certainly a plus for tablet reading. I was just responding to the pre-order question ... in a vacuum, so to speak.

I like the "things appearing as if by magic" effect. I still giggle every time the cover of one of my various short-story magazine subscriptions shows up in my Fire HD's Carousel. Magic!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote