Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
SingleEyePhotos
SingleEyePhotos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Syncing Metadata between 2 libraries

I've found a few threads that seem close to what I'm trying/hoping to do, but none that are exactly what I'm looking for...

When I created my original Calibre library, I added the books from my primary Kindle device, so the library shows the DRM for that particular device. I tweaked metadata to my satisfaction, and all was well.

Now, I'm planning to upgrade to a different device. I know I can't just send the books in my current library to the new device. So, I'm planning on creating a new library for the new device, but it will (eventually) hold the same books as the original library. My question is - is there a way to sync just the metadata to the new library so I don't have to go back and manually update all the info for each of the books a second time?

Or is there a better/more efficient way to do this? I have multiple devices on my account, but generally only sync between my primary device and Calibre (creating the DRM). Is there a way to create the new library without the DRM - I don't mean to strip it, but to not have the DRM 'assigned' until a book is sent to a specific device - so that I can use one library across all devices and save myself this problem when I upgrade again down the road?

To summarize:
Book is in Library 1 with updated metadata and DRM'd to Kindle A.
Same book is in Library 2 with questionable metadata and DRM'd to Kindle B.

Can the metadata for that book be moved/sync'd/merged from Library 1 to Library 2?

Or am I going about the whole process the wrong way?

Thanks!
SingleEyePhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You should be able to have only one Calibre library. Add a custom field with information about what device the book is usable on, and allow duplicate entries. But it still is quite a mess...

I never add any DRM protected books to my Calibre library. I never buy any books, unless I am sure I can remove the DRM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert