Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Lockblade
Lockblade began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Sony Connect on Windows XP 64-bit

I've had my 505 for about two months now, an I love it. That being said, Sony's connect software is complete crap. I just upgraded to a 64 bit system and installed x64 on it. Has anyone been able to get Sony Connect installed on Windows XP x64 Edition?
Lockblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
IMO the Sony software is just fine, for what it is. I know it's very basic, but it works without any major issues.

No, it doesn't work on 64bit XP AFAIK.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are you sure Ebook Library with the 505 doesn't wprk on a 64-bit Windows? Remember, the 505 i seen as a mass storage device and may not need any special USB driver to work with Ebook Library. The only way to know is to try it. I for one would like to know if it works.

But regardless if this works or not, a lot of other software WON'T work on a 64-bit Windows. So you are best off to go back to a 32-bit Windows where software does work.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you sure Ebook Library with the 505 doesn't wprk on a 64-bit Windows?
Nope, not sure at all. I seem to remember a post or two here complaining about it not working though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The Sony software definitely does not work with 64 bit Vista, I don't think I've heard on 64 bit XP, but I wouldn't expect it to work there either: the Sony folks have been pretty blunt about saying it doesn't work with 64 bit Vista, I think they've gotten tired of the question.

I wasn't aware that there was a 64 bit XP -- how long has it been out without my noticing?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
Funny if you go to the download tab at the ebookstore the description of the software says "Windows® XP or Vista® Version 2.0 10.6 MB"

It is possible they are misstating compatibilities, or maybe they updated software works with vista?
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Oh the software has worked on Vista since last February, just not on 64 bit Vista.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Fitzwaryn
Connoisseur
Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Works fine on XP 64 bit... at least for loading books. We don't use the Sony Connect store so couldn't tell you in that regard, but does just fine for loading lrfs on to the Reader.

My wife's machine is an XP 64 bit. We loaded it on there and haven't had any problems with it.
Fitzwaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
a 64 bit XP -- how long has it been out without my noticing?
XP x64 been out for couple of years, I been running it on machine for 1 1/2 years. Most of the problems with the x64 is driver related. Since the drivers are built into the connect software, it will all fail. Vista x64 is pretty similar to XP x64 so most driver "technically" can work. The problem is Vista has built in compatibility checking and that will flag the driver are incompatible. There are ways to turn that off and things usually work, but its a pain.
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #10
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've been using the Sony Connect store and software on Vista64. I outlined the procedure several months ago. Basically, it's not the software that doesn't work. It's that the installer craps out -- aborts the install when trying to install the PRS-500 32-bit driver. I was able to install to another computer and copy the files to the proper location on my Vista64 machine.

Everything works great, except I must connect before launching the software.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:10 AM   #11
Lockblade
Lockblade began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Thanks, I'll try that. I thought that the problem was that XP64bit is a different version of Windows NT than XP. Makes installing drivers for an old Sound Blaster more trouble than it's worth.
Lockblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
However, it will not work for the 500 as the 500 NEEDS the Sony USB driver to work. The 505 is seen as a mass storgae device by the OS's USB driver, so no additional USB driver is needed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #13
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I can't believe that the updated version of this software (released on 7/24/2008) won't install on Vista64!!!!

How hard is it for Sony to rewrite the installer ever-so-slightly to say that if the OS is 64-bit windows, then don't install the old PRS-500 driver. I know how easy it is. I write InstallShield installers as part of my job.

With the new DRM and PDF-reflow stuff, I hope I'm still able to copy/paste the files from a 32-bit system as I did with the previous version.

-Mike
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:03 AM   #14
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Mike, I posted instructions on a thread in the troubleshooting forum how to install the Connect software on Vista x64.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24827
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote