Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
BEARLOBE
BEARLOBE began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
A little help finding a suitable e-reader.

Hey guys, I'm new to the world of e-readers. I've recently bought a Kindle Touch, which I love. Unfortunately it's missing a few features which would come in handy. I'll list those below, and if there's any e-reader that you guys know of which fits all of the points I'll probably grab one.
  • Page numbers, similar to the ipad (pages per chapter and the entire book)
  • Calibre support, specifically with series. Before I had the KT I arrange all of my ebooks into series on Calibre, only to find that KT doesn't support it.
  • Touch screen. I've only used the ipad, iphone and KT. I don't think I'd like an e-reader without touch screen.
  • Dictionaries. This is my favourite feature of the KT.

I'm not terribly concerned about which format it supports, as I use Calibre. Mobi or ePub would be preferable though.

Thanks
BEARLOBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Are you looking for e-ink or tablet type? Where are you located? Those 2 points would be important factors for recommendations...
If a tablet is OK, then any that allows for the installation of the Aldiko app would work.

I have both a Kobo Vox and a Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Aldiko app meets most of your requirements except mobi format books and dictionary. However it does allow you to Google any word that you "long-press" from within the app to get a definition.

It can be used with the Calibre server to download your books wirelessly, allows reading of pdf as well as epubs. You can group your books into "collections" with this app as well as search by "tag".
It allows for borrowing library books without using the Overdrive app, gives page number you are at as compare to total book pages and has many more features (and it's free).

Last edited by Cdesja5; 04-29-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
BEARLOBE

Sorry, I should have specified that I'm looking for something with e-ink. I already have an iPad, which I sometimes use for reading, as iBooks has my favourite page interface of all the different apps I've tried and the Kindle Touch, mainly due the the page numbers. I prefer to read on the Kindle though as it's easier on the eyes.

I am in Australia at the moment, but I spend a lot of time travelling so I'm not particularly concerned about access to stores and such.

Last edited by BEARLOBE; 04-29-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEARLOBE View Post
[*]Calibre support, specifically with series. Before I had the KT I arrange all of my ebooks into series on Calibre, only to find that KT doesn't support it.
What kind of support are you looking for? With Calibre you can use a plugboard to have it include the series name and number with the book title when you transfer the book to the KT and then put the book into a collection from the KT if so desired.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
BEARLOBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What kind of support are you looking for? With Calibre you can use a plugboard to have it include the series name and number with the book title when you transfer the book to the KT and then put the book into a collection from the KT if so desired.
I really just want to reader to be able to sort the books into series, as you've explained there. Are you able to give me a URL explaining this? It would make life just a little bit easier.
Advert
Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Metadata plugboards are what you are after. The first two listed in this sticky thread are for series.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
BEARLOBE

Thanks. I've given it a try, but it doesn't appear to support the Kindle Touch. There's not an option for it, so I tried the other Kindles instead but with no luck.

Edit: I managed to sort that out by just choosing the "any device" option.

If I could just solve the page number issue it'd be perfect!

Last edited by BEARLOBE; 04-30-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEARLOBE View Post
If I could just solve the page number issue it'd be perfect!
Doesn't the Kindle Touch display the page number when you touch the top of the screen? Or when you select Menu like on the Kindle Keyboard?

There is a probably a hack to permanently display page numbers if you jailbreak your Kindle, check out the Developer's Forum.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
BEARLOBE

Yes, but ideally I'd like the page display to be more similar to iBooks, where it shows how many pages are left in each chapter as well. It's only a minor inconvenience, but I always have to skip ahead to the next chapter to see how long the current chapter is. As far as I can see, there aren't many hacks available for the touch at the moment, but I'll look into it.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No reader supports telling you how many pages are left until the end of the chapter. The closest you'll get is with a Sony Reader which can show you the page number the next chapter starts on if the ToC is correctly built.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Perhaps a Kobo owner can chime in. The Android app does page numbers in the current chapter along with % of the entire book. I don't know though if that transfers over to their eInk readers or if it's close enough to what you're wanting.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote