Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
unused_bagels
unused_bagels began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300
Question Calibre and DRM, Linux

So now that the wife and I have made the switch to non-proprietary, we have run into a roadblock with our Sony PRS-300s everywhere we turn. Kindle has an incompatible DRM-signed book that I'd have to un-sign to convert in Calibre, and Sony's elibrary doesn't recognize my reader (because it's running out of a fake C drive).
Can someone please tell me how to set it up such that:
-I don't have to pirate windows
-I don't have to dual-boot
-I don't have to use VMware
-My wife can buy and transfer new books once I've configured it
-I can buy books from somewhere that has a reasonably amazon/sony-sized store

Answers like "google is your friend" or "you can't do it" really won't help. I've already spent an afternoon searching.
unused_bagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Sorry but it is against site rules to provide explicit instructions on how to use DRM removal tools on this site and it is against site rules to link directly to sites that host such tools.

Your best idea is really to google for "ApprenticeAlf". Read his blog / FAQ etc and ask any questions you want in the comments section of that site.

As for not wanting or willing to use a virtual machine, that will be a drawback. That is the easiest solution. There are some solutions for using the latest version of Wine under recent versions of Linux. The issue is the DRM is not simply signed. It depends on operating specific calls, uses information that is hardware specific, and even ebook file specific. So using the tools on Wine will probably be the only way to do what you want to do.

To be any more specific would violate the site rules. PM me here is you still can't find the proper link and I can help with that.

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #3
hairybiker
Banned
hairybiker began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
I believe there is an earlier version of the Kindle s/w that DOES run under wine, try searching for that. I don't use it myself so can't help.
hairybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
mrmls
Enthusiast
mrmls has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 950
I haven't found a version of Kindle for PC that runs under wine. Also it is hard to acquire older versions.
mrmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Which version of wine? Withe the very latest versions from the 1.3.x series with x>=18, I have had success running all of the most recent versions of Kindle for PC up to version 1.7 (which I have not tested with yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmls View Post
I haven't found a version of Kindle for PC that runs under wine. Also it is hard to acquire older versions.
KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 04:32 AM   #6
mrmls
Enthusiast
mrmls has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Which version of wine? Withe the very latest versions from the 1.3.x series with x>=18, I have had success running all of the most recent versions of Kindle for PC up to version 1.7 (which I have not tested with yet).
I tried with stable version 1.2.3, good to hear that it works with latest versions. I will try next time I will need Kindle books
mrmls is offline   Reply With Quote