Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-02-2024, 05:27 PM   #1
Krytes
Enthusiast
Krytes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Referencing fonts installed on Android without embedding?

Hello,
My Chinese text has fonts in two distinct styles, and I'd like to be able to replicate that in the epub. Since it's Chinese, the fonts are huge (20+ megabytes for one of them), and embedding multiple fonts isn't really practical. I tried just referring to fonts that are installed on my computer/ebook reader by name, with mixed results - the Calibre reader on Windows picked up one of the fonts but not the other, and on Android only Reasily picked up both fonts - most readers ignored both. The relevant bits from the stylesheet are here:
Quote:
.ordinary {
font-family: "FZKai-Z03";
}
.handwriting {
font-family: "YRDZST-Semibold";
}
and the text looks something like
Quote:
<p class="handwriting">
<ruby><rb class="third" onclick="toggle('我3')">我</rb><rt name="我3">wǒ</rt></ruby>
<ruby><rb class="fifth" onclick="toggle('的5')">的</rb><rt name="的5">de</rt></ruby>
<ruby><rb class="second" onclick="toggle('同2')">同</rb><rt name="同2">tóng</rt></ruby>
<ruby><rb class="first" onclick="toggle('桌1')">桌</rb><rt name="桌1">zhuō</rt></ruby>
</p>
Is there a better way to get specific Chinese fonts without embedding them, or am I just using the wrong readers?
Krytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:33 AM   #2
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Sorry, I don’t think I can be of help, but I’m curious, if you can barely make it work for yourself, how do you expect it to work on other systems, isn’t it too impredictable? And if it’s just for personal use, why not use the one reader that works?

Also, how does the @font-face definitions look like? Maybe it would work better if you chose font-family: "YRDZST Semibold";?
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2024, 06:35 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Some Android readers ignore any stock or installed fonts on Android and ignore embedded fonts, no matter what is in the epub!

So for Android you need to use which ever ereader app works for you.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 04:31 PM   #4
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I don't have any advise on the question you actually asked. However, you may want to consider only embedding the glyphs from each font that are actually used in your text. (This is usually called "subsetting.")

I would expect this to drastically reduce the space taken up by the embedded fonts, probably to a very reasonable size.

Calibre and other programs can do this for you.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 05:15 PM   #5
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I discovered that not all font files can be subsetted with Calibre, but you might have better luck with Sigil...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=353435
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2024, 04:11 AM   #6
Krytes
Enthusiast
Krytes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
Sorry, I don’t think I can be of help, but I’m curious, if you can barely make it work for yourself, how do you expect it to work on other systems, isn’t it too impredictable? And if it’s just for personal use, why not use the one reader that works?

Also, how does the @font-face definitions look like? Maybe it would work better if you chose font-family: "YRDZST Semibold";?
It's purely for personal use, so I don't have to make it work for anyone else. The reader that works has other drawbacks, so I'd rather not use it if I have a choice. I'll try font-family and see if it helps.
Krytes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinese, epub 3, font