Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Using composite_formatter.safe_format with multiline text?

I'm moving an email conversation to here.

I am enhancing the Generate Cover plugin to support template driven expressions from a text input field. I thought it would be nice if I changed the input to be a multiline QTextEdit, thereby allowing the user to do multiline expressions like:

Genre: {tags}\n
Published: {pubdate}

However the problem I have is that composite_formatter.safe_format() strips newline characters out. Now if I substitute in something else like <br/> it will work, but then it will blow up if you try to use a multiline complex {} expression.

Any suggestions? I need something that template formatter won't strip out that I can split on afterwards, but that won't cause multi-line formulas to blow up...

Or do we just tell users not to do multi-line formulas?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Can't you treat each line as a separate template?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think so? I can't split before I call the template formatter, because I might be splitting in a formula. I was trying to avoid complicating my UI (and all the code related to drawing) by having multiple UI controls. Or were you thinking of something else?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was assuming that the values between the { } characters never contain newlines. I don't see why they should.

If this is true, then the following should work.
Code:
lines = text.split('\n')
result = []
for l in lines:
    result.append(composite_formatter.safe_format(l, mi, 'XXX', mi))
val = '\n'.join(result)
This code gives you back the multiline text, with template fields inserted.

Am I missing something?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
kiwidude

Well, I was looking at your examples of what people "could" do in templates with functions and program mode. Your examples on the help page show multi-line templates inside the {}.

Now if you say those are "not likely" scenarios or something I needn't bother supporting then fair enough...
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

General program mode templates do not go between {} characters. They must begin with the word 'program:' and the program goes until the end of the string. The concept of a multiline template goes away, because the entire string is one template. It makes little sense to me for someone to use a general program mode template in the situation you are describing. If they *really* need something of that complexity to generate a field value, then they can use a composite column or build a python template function.

Template program mode expressions can in theory be multiline, but in practice they never are. I think it is safe not to support them.

One thing that my suggestion does not cover is fields that contain explicit newlines, where these newlines are significant. Non-multiple text fields come to mind. These normally use HTML, so I am not convinced this is a problem. Is it?

BTW: I have no particular problem with adding a parameter to safe_formatter not to collapse white space. I just want to be sure it is needed before I do it. If I do this, then you could pass the entire string in one go. The downside is that there would be no white space processing, so templates like
"abc {series} def" would evaluate to "abc def" (two spaces) if there is no series. Perhaps this is OK.

Last edited by chaley; 04-28-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
kiwidude

If you are happy multiple template expressions aren't frequently needed, that is good enough for me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't putting an unreasonable restriction in. So don't bother about the parameter, thanks.