Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Yikes! Kindle Abuse! Call the Cops!

2 new Kindle ads. This first one freaks me out.

From CrunchGear:

This one is really cute (but I still have some concerns).

daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
You're right about #1 - all that action - and not even in a protective Kindle cover!

[although I did chuckle at the dog - all my cats have "marked" my kindle as I read]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
What is the problem with the first ad?

Anyway, as I can see Amazon is now trying to attract the children to buy their product, since they sell more for adults. Amazon is intelligent
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
You're right about #1 - all that action - and not even in a protective Kindle cover!

[although I did chuckle at the dog - all my cats have "marked" my kindle as I read]
I don't use a Kindle cover. But my Kindle is like a God for me. Seriously, every time I'm going to touch on my Kindle DX, I wash my hands.

Covers are old-fashioned for me
Old 11-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
NO COVER? That can't be true..................

And did I hear a faint music of Harry Potter in the add? The one book(s) that isn't to be had as an ebook?

desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
OK, Daffy, I'm confused. What is wrong with either ad? Sure it would be nice to have a cover on the Kindle, but almost everyone I know who owns a Kindle didn't buy a cover and treats their Kindle as shown in video 1.

As for video 2, I actually think the ad is clever. The boy has broad reading interests and what better way to satisfy it than with an e-reader? Well, I guess, if grandma really wanted to give the very best, she could have gotten him a Sony, but second best isn't so bad.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
OK, Daffy, I'm confused. What is wrong with either ad? Sure it would be nice to have a cover on the Kindle, but almost everyone I know who owns a Kindle didn't buy a cover and treats their Kindle as shown in video 1.
Well, I predict many returned Kindles due to broken screens and maybe a few lawsuits. "Hey, the commercial didn't show a cover!", "I didn't know I shouldn't sit down with my Kindle in my back pocket or keep it in a drawer with sharp jewelry." and so on and so on.

Same with the kid. eBook readers are still fragile devices, so a cover should have been shown (although I thought I saw a green one for a second in the 2nd spot but it was the wrapping paper).

Quote:
Well, I guess, if grandma really wanted to give the very best, she could have gotten him a Sony, but second best isn't so bad.
<insert raised eyebrow smiley>
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

I was going to say, oh noes! it's nekkid!!! kindle kitten was all about chewing on the corners of the kitten and had gotten page turns down to a science. Arwen and Strider just rub on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Campos View Post
What is the problem with the first ad?

Anyway, as I can see Amazon is now trying to attract the children to buy their product, since they sell more for adults. Amazon is intelligent
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post

As for video 2, I actually think the ad is clever. The boy has broad reading interests and what better way to satisfy it than with an e-reader? Well, I guess, if grandma really wanted to give the very best, she could have gotten him a Sony, but second best isn't so bad.
Attached Images

kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
They show the kindle nekkid but not the hot woman in the bed? Talk about getting your priorities wrong.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
paulroberthill
paulroberthill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi + 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Campos View Post
My niece would love a kindle. She's a bookworm like me, & comes from a family that doesn't even own a bookcase! She reads on the toilet, in bed & in the bath. My mum supplies her with books from boot fairs.

Took her to Waterstones in Piccadilly (Europe's largest bookshop) and she was in heaven. LOL

I guess some of my genes made it through!
paulroberthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
rocking baby while reading the kindle?
check
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
[QUOTE=daffy4u;1208814]2 new Kindle ads. This first one freaks me out.

/QUOTE]

totally agree. You can' fling it about, or stick it into uour back pocket, and throwing it into your jewelry drawer?.......thats just asking for trouble.

I've grown to love reading it 'nekkid' (the Kindle!) but allowing the dog to lick all over it??

UH UH! To me, its being advertised as being way more sturdy than it is.....and its going to come back and bite them.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I made this comment on the second video, over on YouTube, which I repeat here:

Quote:
Amazon has hit a home run with this commercial.

To me at least, it tugs at the heart strings as I grew up with a passion for reading and learning.

I loved buying, receiving and reading books and could never get enough of them.

Add a savvy grandma to the mix who sees the power of having a "book" that's really unlimited books and, well, I wish I'd had a Kindle as a kid. I'll have to settle for one as a big kid.
Another nuance I missed: the glimmer in grandma's eye when she sees her grandson's passion for reading.

I really love this commercial.

Last edited by cjottawa; 11-11-2010 at 08:42 AM.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 AM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I don't have a cover (yet) for my Kindle, and while I do have concerns about the glass screen, I think it's pretty usable without much or any protection.

That back pocket thing though...I've never understood that. We've got commercials where folks put smartphones with big glass screens into their back pocket too, sometimes leaving half the phone exposed. Do people actually do that? I practically never sit down, and I can't imagine putting a glass-screened device in my back pocket.

Addendum: ...I hope the kid in the second video has been resourceful in finding free ebooks on his own. Otherwise, with the grandmother's account (she was apparently not monitoring purchases on her account, and I doubt the kid has his own credit card [but it's America so who knows]), that kid could become a dangerous financial parasite.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 11-11-2010 at 02:31 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 AM   #15
Nathan Campos
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulroberthill View Post
My niece would love a kindle. She's a bookworm like me, & comes from a family that doesn't even own a bookcase! She reads on the toilet, in bed & in the bath. My mum supplies her with books from boot fairs.

Took her to Waterstones in Piccadilly (Europe's largest bookshop) and she was in heaven. LOL

I guess some of my genes made it through!
Nice to hear this