Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
PDF reader's for studying.

What are you all's thoughts on iPad pdf readers aimed at students/studying.

Easy highlighting being just one feature I'd want. Easy annotations is another.

I'm in training and in addition to the books we have pdf versions of the books.

I'd like to be able to highlight, and then easily jump to and from the things I've highlighted (like when it's time to study).

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
SplogSplog
Connoisseur
SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex DR1000S
I recommend iAnnotate, which I have been using for about a month now and find its annotation and highlighting features to be very good.
SplogSplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Look at Papers if you are studying anything scientific.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
I use iAnnotate daily. It's a great app for highlighting and note-taking. Highly recommended.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got iAnnotate, it's very nice. Now I wan't the same functionality in a windows app. Suggestions?

Lee
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
me2 have that app ,i it make my work easy.
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

Device: iPad
I am totally surprised that no one has mentioned Goodreader. They just released an update which now includes highlighting and annotations and notes and so on. This along with all of the other excellent features of Goodreader makes it the only real choice for reading PDFs on the iPad. iAnnotate simply isn't as good a reader as Goodreader in terms of features for organizing, searching, bookmarking and now highlighting and annotating.
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
leebase
Karma Kameleon

I'll have to give good reader another try, I have it but didnt try it after the update.

Lee
Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon

I have to agree - Good Reader is the far better choice, and is $1 verses $10 for iAnnotate. I like iAnnotate and am not put off by it's interface as some are. Actually, it kind of "feels right" when I'm listening to a lecture with pdf in hand following along and highlighting.

HOWEVER -- Good reader is a MUCH better app for simply reading a PDF. I actually felt that iAnnotate could use some "iBook" like reading features....well, Goodreader does.

AND -- the highlighting is really easy, once you figure it out. It's so unobtrusive, I can see why people who like Good Reader would be repulsed by iAnnotate. You basically just press and hold, like you do elsewhere in iOs for the copy/paste functionality. Only you can highlight, book mark, annotate, in addition to copying. Nice and easy.

Good reader simply does a whole lot more -- so take the time to read the manual as it's interface isn't particularly "discoverable".

For instance, it as a "trim margins" feature, but I didn't know it had a "fit to width" feature. So I trimmed the margins, and then just got a slimmer page that I then had to pinch/zoom to fill the screen -- so what was the point? Well, turn on "fit to width" and when you trim off the margins it automatically zooms to fill the screen. Nice.

And it has dimming and "night mode" features.

It has a built in "web server" for loading pdf's wirelessly. So you start it, and then go to your pc and type in the ip address of Good Reader on you iPad, and then upload files. Not sure if it's nicer than iAnnotate's app that runs on your pc and then shares directories that you access from withing iAnnotate on the iPad.

Still, it's $1 and significantly better in ways that are important.

Lee
Old 10-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Lee, can you tell me how to do fit to width? and also where can I read the manual? I've been a user of GoodReader for about a month now and didn't know I could do that.

I am glad I entered this thread and found this out....

EDIT: if it isn't obvious by now, I entered this thread to recommend GoodReader .

EDIT: Found how to do both! A great program just got even better.

Last edited by Dave Berk; 10-06-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
EDIT: Found how to do both! A great program just got even better.
iAnnotate includes it's quick start and user manual as pdf's. GoodReader's manual is on their website. I would recommend they put it in the reader by default.

I do like iAnnotate's way of loading pdf's better. I'd rather run a "server" type app on my pc and then pull from my iPad when I desire a pdf. Good reader is the opposite which means I have to be at my pc to put a pdf on it.

I do also like iAnnotate's highlighting better. Click the highlight tool then paint -- verses press, hold, move the text selectors, press highlight. But that's a minor point when put up against GoodReader's better reading experience and certainly considering $1 vs. $10.

Lee
Old 10-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I do like iAnnotate's way of loading pdf's better. I'd rather run a "server" type app on my pc and then pull from my iPad when I desire a pdf. Good reader is the opposite which means I have to be at my pc to put a pdf on it.
If you run an FTP or web server on your PC, you can then browse it with GoodReader and download the files.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
If you run an FTP or web server on your PC, you can then browse it with GoodReader and download the files.
Or, if like me you move between many different computers during the day, you can use GoodReader Dropbox support and not bother about the pcs .
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #14
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Or, if like me you move between many different computers during the day, you can use GoodReader Dropbox support and not bother about the pcs .
I've used goodreader and Google Docs to good effect. But I should eventually give dropbox a try.

Lee