Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 05-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
cwiebe
cwiebe began at the beginning.

Device: android phone
Synch Reading between Kobo Mini, PC and Android

I am looking to purchase a Mini. I would like to be able read books loaded from Calibre and have the reading position sync'd between the Mini, the PC and my Android (4.1) phone.

I have heard sync'd reading positions is only possible with purchased books, I am hoping that information was incorrect.

Thanks in advance.
cwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwiebe View Post
I have heard sync'd reading positions is only possible with purchased books, I am hoping that information was incorrect.
Thanks in advance.
Kobo can not sync reading positions for side loaded books. This is because Kobo severs can not track your reading progress for books they did not sell you or retain information about those books because Canadian Internet privacy law.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
cwiebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Kobo can not sync reading positions for side loaded books. This is because Kobo severs can not track your reading progress for books they did not sell you or retain information about those books because Canadian Internet privacy law.
I can believe Kobo doesn't want to do it, but that decision would not be because of 'internet privacy law'. Thanks for your reply!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am sorry for replying to a thread started by a skeptic who can't believe the truth. Ok know it all you tell me why Kobo refuses to do this and why I would respond with a tall tale.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
cwiebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I am sorry for replying to a thread started by a skeptic who can't believe the truth. Ok know it all you tell me why Kobo refuses to do this and why I would respond with a tall tale.
I appreciated your reply. I said so. But the reason Kobo doesn't sync books I own among devices has nothing to do with 'Internet Privacy Law'. Are Chrome, Google Music, Facebook, Dropbox, etc, etc, etc somehow exempt from this 'law' ?

The Nook does sync among devices, so does the Sony reader. Just sayin'.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
filmo
Wizard

Kobo is a Canadian company based in Toronto subject to Canadian law. The Barnes & Nobel (Nook) and Sony are not Canadian companies. Internet privacy is good. Look at US NSA (National Security Agency) trying to record every internet communication possible just in case it is needed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Security_Agency

Sync reading positions for side loaded books by Kobo e-readers and Kobo e-reader programs on Android and I-devices has been discussed here many times. Kobo employees said it would violate Canadian law. A member of this forum has posted a link to this law which is up for review now.