Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
Zimmy
Connoisseur
Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
X-Ray is very underwhelming to me.
I expected it to be like an entire wikipedia article on the book I was reading cross referenced by where ever I was in the book.
A place where fans of the book could add detail and plot analysis.

All it seems to be is a few major character descriptions. A very broad overview. I still find myself using wikipedia over it.
Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

X-Ray was useful to me when reading Dance with Dragons. It gave me a quick, offline way to remind myself who some of the more minor characters and locations are.

X-Ray is not a gimmick, but its usefulness just depends on how much info authors/publishers decide to put into it.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesilver View Post
X-Ray was useful to me when reading Dance with Dragons. It gave me a quick, offline way to remind myself who some of the more minor characters and locations are.

X-Ray is not a gimmick, but its usefulness just depends on how much info authors/publishers decide to put into it.
Actually it depends for the most part on whether Shelfari users are reading the book and creating descriptions there. Publishers/authors can contribute as Shelfari users, but I doubt many do. (other content is pulled from wikipedia)

Crowdsourcing is the strength of XRay, but also its weakness.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #19
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Excuse me, but I am thinking in a lateral way. Normally most people have never used search within a book, so it may take longer at first compared to x-ray. But using search on the web is considered a skill, so perhaps by using search inside a book more can develop as a skill?

Though x-ray will be faster, it involves no skill....I mean search is a skill, which may lead to obscure connections to possibilities within and outside the book.

X-RAY ON YOUTUBE:

Kindle Fire HD 8.9 hands-on with X-Ray for video and ebooks

Last edited by peter12345; 12-11-2012 at 04:37 AM.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Actually it depends for the most part on whether Shelfari users are reading the book and creating descriptions there. Publishers/authors can contribute as Shelfari users, but I doubt many do. (other content is pulled from wikipedia)

Crowdsourcing is the strength of XRay, but also its weakness.
It was my understanding that the offline x-ray info that's included in the ebook file was added by the publisher/author, and then Shelfari only came into play if you click on the Shelfari link to view more detailed info.

Are you saying that publishers only have the ability to include Shelfari data in the offline file? They can't add their own custom info without having to edit the Shelfari website?
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #21
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesilver View Post
It was my understanding that the offline x-ray info that's included in the ebook file was added by the publisher/author, and then Shelfari only came into play if you click on the Shelfari link to view more detailed info.

Are you saying that publishers only have the ability to include Shelfari data in the offline file? They can't add their own custom info without having to edit the Shelfari website?
I don't think it would be limited to wikipedia and / or shelfari. The X-Ray in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings I just bought today is very detailed - unless of course wikipedia and shelfari is equally well taken care of.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote