Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
LynnO
LynnO is on a distinguished road

Device: nook, color nook, droid 2
Experience with pay for library cards other than Philadelphia Free?

Sorry if this has already been discussed. Like a good newbie, I tried to search for the info, but the word library.....

So, anyone purchase a library card from one of the other libraries listed in the recent library book count thread?

I did purchase a card from the Philadelphia Free Library (FLP) and it's wonderful. However, that system seems to be a bit overloaded and from what else I read a bit underfunded. So the catalogue is somewhat limited. They do seem to do a pretty good job with some of the best seller list. They also are heavily tilted towards mysteries and thrillers, with good reason probably.

I'm looking for a broader selection. One library that look super appealing is Orange County Florida. The $120 a year, or 10 dollars a month is a pretty good price if you're a heavy reader! I'm sure I've read twice that value at the FLP. Plus Orange County seems to have some unlmited licenses for the most popular best sellers.

My library is part of a state consortium, and the biggest library in the state. Our state won't be getting Overdrive access- according to the librarian. We have a two year old HUGE state of the art library, it's an absolute gem. However, materials purchases come from a voted on sales tax. And the those receipts are way down. So, not gonna happen.

I have family all over the country so I could probably get two or three cards from other places. No one else wants to switch over to an eReader. I didn't either, but I'll never go back and strongly prefer not to read "real" books anymore. With library funding so low all over the place, I'd prefer to pay for the access.

So- other experiences please?

All right, sorry to be so long winded. And thanks.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
DC Library & Volusia Co Library (Overdrive)

I joined the DC library using their online form
http://www.dclibrary.org/services/getacard

and received a member number immediately in my e-mail that was good for 30 days. To keep it going after the first month, though, I was supposed to present myself at one of the DC libraries with ID to get a physical card - and since I live in NC that was not going to happen, so the membership lapsed. During that short time I was able to borrow some nice mystery genre ebooks and added more to my wishlist, so if you do have access to DC I would highly recommend this as an option.
http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com...owseeBooks.htm

The Volusia County FL library also lends ebooks (epub and audiobooks), so if you have family there (Daytona Beach area) it would be worth checking out.
http://overdrive.volusialibrary.org/...en/Default.htm

Hope this helps?
ngrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The DC public library is a great value at $20 per year. The selection is quite good.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
LynnO

Thanks for the suggestion, but I live in the middle of the US and won't be getting near DC anytime soon. But I'm sure others will appreciate hearing about your experiences with their catalog.

As I mentioned, I'd prefer to go above board, so getting a family member to get me a card is not my preferred route.

I'd love to hear from someone who knows more about the Orange County FL nonresident card. Do they allow you to check out ebooks? Is the access restricted? I'm so tempted to get someone's number to try it out. I know several people with reciprical rights to that library.

Interestingly, I tried to check the library catalog of the library system my nephew (who spends tons of time with my family) belongs to, and it flagged my ISP as not being in it's geo area. It's a state over from mine.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
I think the Seattle library offers non-resident cards and has a healthy selection of ebooks. Unfortunately, this week is a furlough week due to budget cuts, and the website is limited functionality so I can't see for sure. I think I saw that they cost ~$85 before though.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
It would be best to call the library before making a financial commitment. I've emailed many libraries recently and most tell me that their contract with Overdrive prohibits them from giving cards to out-of-state residents. Some still do but others had to stop. If you do call, make sure you explain it would be for ebook downloads only.

Regarding Orange Cty: Many of their books are YA and romances so make sure they have the titles and subjects that interest you. They do obtain multiple copies of titles.

You dont say where you live but many county libraries have reciprocal agreements with neighboring ones.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me tim View Post
I think the Seattle library offers non-resident cards and has a healthy selection of ebooks. Unfortunately, this week is a furlough week due to budget cuts, and the website is limited functionality so I can't see for sure. I think I saw that they cost ~$85 before though.
I contacted them last week. Unfortunately, they had to stop issuing cards to out-of-state residents.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
LynnO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Regarding Orange Cty: Many of their books are YA and romances so make sure they have the titles and subjects that interest you. They do obtain multiple copies of titles.

You dont say where you live but many county libraries have reciprocal agreements with neighboring ones.
I should look at the Orange Cty again. From what I remember, many of the books I have on hold, were available for immediate download and they had a good selection of books that interest me. I read romances as well as fiction and nonfiction.

No one in my state has ebooks, so no reciprocal. We have a statewide catalogue that includes the community colleges and university. As mentioned, few libraries are friendly to out of state people. And the states surrounding me are no exception.

Might just have to go grey and have my nephew get a card number. Although after some more research, his library only has audiobooks, and my system has plenty of those. so, he'd have to get a card and then get a second at a better library in his state where there are ebooks.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
kkay5
kkay5 began at the beginning.

Device: B&N eReader
My library does not have ebooks so I belong to three out of state libraries - FLOP, Orange County, and Fairfax. I am able to get ebooks from Orange County and the wait times are not bad at all. I can't read the books fast enough!
kkay5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #10
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Well if you know someone in New York City, I think the NYPL is supposed to have the largest selection of ebooks in the country, around 10,000 I heard.
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkay5 View Post
My library does not have ebooks so I belong to three out of state libraries - FLOP, Orange County, and Fairfax. I am able to get ebooks from Orange County and the wait times are not bad at all. I can't read the books fast enough!
You have all bases covered

Membership costs do add up. Do you think you can let one of them lapse?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
kkay5
kkay5 began at the beginning.

Device: B&N eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
You have all bases covered

Membership costs do add up. Do you think you can let one of them lapse?
I could let them lapse, but I won't! Paying membership fees for 3 libraries is way cheaper than buying all those books!
kkay5 is offline   Reply With Quote