Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
richough3
Enthusiast
richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Alcott, Louisa May: Little Women (Illustrated) V0.5 October 2009

The illustrations, by Frank T. Merril, are taken from the 1880 version of the book which was published by the Roberts brothers. It was the first time both the original Little Women and Good Wives were compiled into a single book known as Little Women or Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. The text was taken from the Gutenberg project and the illustrations were taken from the scanned book on Google books.

The EPUB version lasck the List of Illustrations until I learn out how to implement it properly.

Google Books scanned Little Women

Gutenberg Project Little Women
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Little Women.epub (5.67 MB, 1326 views)
richough3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
richough3
Enthusiast
richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

V.095 - Added Illustration links and rearranged some of the pictures to be more consistent with the List of Illustrations.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Little Women V095.epub (5.71 MB, 962 views)
Old 10-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Oh, thank you! This is one of my all time favorite books - nice to have an illustrated version.

EDIT: I'm reading this now and enjoying it very much. Very nice work! Thank you!

Last edited by khalleron; 11-09-2009 at 12:02 PM.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Thank you so much.

My all-time favourite book Bless you.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
I've started working on this book to try to make it 'look' as much like the google scan as possible (e.g. text wrapping around images, fixing alignment of the verse in the preface, etc.). While doing this, I've also noticed that a lot of the punctuation differs between the Google scan and the gutenberg text - mostly that the use of hyphens and semicolons is considerably more in the Google text. Personally, I prefer the Google punctuation, feeling that it is more expressive so I've started updating that too. While I've got it opened up, if anybody has found any other corrections, let me know and I'll try to get them in to before releasing it. Thanks!
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In the time of this book, manuscripts were, of course, hand written, and punctuation was added by the publisher, hence different editions can be radically differently punctuated. You find this a lot with 19th century novels.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Imagine the effort of manually setting every letter for the printing press for each edition - the detail and precision work that would go into it. People really took pride in their work in those days. And today, a new 'edition' - an eBook - often doesn't get any attention at all. I was at the Stephen R. Donaldson website the other day and he was complaining that his fans were writing him about obvious OCR errors in his eBooks and the publisher wouldn't fix anything without people giving specific examples. The author was powerless to do anything about it. Where is the pride in the published work? An eBook, at full price, should at least have the full quality of the printed book. Bad enough all the restrictions on use.

Last edited by EricDP; 07-24-2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Corrected a typo. No material change.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Thank you, richough3!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
richough3
Enthusiast

I hope you all enjoy it, but it was my first major EBook conversion project, so there's more that could be done to it. I chose the picture locations based on how they were titled in the List of Illustrations but I don't know how to wrap text, so I left it as it was. As for punctuations, I went with the Gutenberg version because it made more sense, to me, but I included the italicized words from the version on Google books. I used Calibre for the conversion to EPub and things like the tabs don't work like they did with the Mobi version. I can always send you what I have to help you with your project, EricDP.

Last edited by richough3; 07-30-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
EricDP
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richough3 View Post
As for punctuations, I went with the Gutenberg version because it made more sense, to me
I agree, with you there. Originally, I had though the Gutenberg punctuation was just OCR error, but after having read what HarryT wrote (that each edition could have its own punctuation, there is not authoritative source, and it is not necessarily the author's style but is instead the editor's), I decided it didn't really matter and stayed with the Gutenberg punctuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richough3 View Post
But I included the italicized words from the version on Google books.
I agree here too and in my version I've found a few more instances that I've italicized. I've also added a bunch of french accents to words that were missing them, and corrected several that were wrong.

I've also made a bunch more changes included straight quote --> curly quotes, smallcaps formatting in TOC and where names appear signing letters, centering blocks of verse, but within the block, the verses are left aligned (as in the 1880 edition), floating chapter header images where the first letter is part of the image so that it aligns with the text.

I'm also looking at re-sampling the images and reducing colour-depth so that they are both sharper and smaller file size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richough3
I can always send you what I have to help you with your project, EricDP.
If you have more I'd be interested in looking at it, thanks!

This has turned out to be a much larger project that I thought - quite a challenging book, but when its ready I think it will be worth it.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
richough3
Enthusiast

This was an interesting read on the history of the text.

http://www.enotes.com/american-histo...e/little-women

It would be nice to find the version that was illustrated by May Alcott.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #12
EricDP
Groupie

Thank you for the additional information. I have to confess I've never actually read the book and was doing this more as a technical exercise, but the more I touch it and read about it the more I'm looking forward to reading it. I think when I'm done the "technical re-write", I will have to read it through (and, no doubt, do some more editing). After that I will finally have something worth releasing. Months to go I expect... I hope you like the results.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #13
EricDP
Groupie

I've uploaded the new version! Please let me know if you have any comments/feedback on the layout. I've proofed it on my nook, but don't have any other devices on which to test and see how it flows. Thanks!