Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #16
kwnewton
kwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle
How about the Skiff?

Does anyone know if the Skiff will support native PDFs? It looks like a really nice size screen.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3048...-ebook-reader?
kwnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #17
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Does one have to get a big expensive eReader to read PDFs decently?

Eyup. Pretty much.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 03:24 AM   #18
jfontana
jfontana began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Re: Does one have to get a big expensive eReader to read PDFs decently?

OK, thanks again Frabjous. It looks like sopdf is what I might need. Now there's a problem. I downloaded it to try it out myself with other documents but I happen to be also a Linux user. I thought this would run under wine but for some reason Wine doesn't let me install it. Do you run sopdf under Wine?

JM
jfontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #19
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Wine is not necessary. There's a linux port of sopdf (by Emit) on page 2 of the sopdf thread. If you can't find it, let me know.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #20
jfontana

OK, got it. Thanks!

JM
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 06:23 AM   #21
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The best option is an Irex Reader 1000S but it's more expensive than the Sony. No way around - perhaps a Kindle DX will also work.

The Zooming of PDF files aren't that satisfying.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #22
jfontana

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The best option is an Irex Reader 1000S but it's more expensive than the Sony. No way around - perhaps a Kindle DX will also work.

The Zooming of PDF files aren't that satisfying.
I'm sort of coming to this conclusion. I'm going to wait and see what happens after this eventful CES. As more companies come up with big screen e-readers the only reasonable development is that prices for big screens have to come down and come down considerably. What I know is that I'm not paying more than 400€ for an e-reader. If that means I have to zoom my pdfs and have a less than satisfactory experience, so be it. I'm hoping that Sony will come up with a big screen e-reader and that the price will be more reasonable than the price of Irex readers. Irex makes really good products but they are not being smart with their pricing. They will have to lower their prices or disappear.

After this very useful discussion what I have decided is that I will wait a couple of months to see if prices come down. If they don't, I'll buy a Sony 505 or similar product and zoom my pdfs with sopdf or whatever. Companies making big screen ereaders will have to wait a few more years (or whatever it takes for my ereader to get broken) to get my money.

JM
Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #23
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

You may be interested in the GUI for sopdf that Nathan Campos has made, and I've just recompiled for linux:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=733549
Old 01-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #24
jfontana

Hi Frabjous,

I was indeed interested since I've been testing sopdf and I love it. I've been following the developments at CES and when I saw that all the new big screen readers are going to be very expensive and are not going to be available for a few months, I decided I cannot wait and I will most likely go for a less expensive product even if the screen is smaller. Then sopdf becomes essential.

Anyway, I was going to try the GUI since that would make things a bit more comfortable with sopdf but I ran into problems. On the command line sopdf works perfectly but when I tried to execute the binary file you compiled for Linux (% ./soPDF_Frontend) I get the following error message: "bash: ./soPDF_Frontend: cannot execute binary file
".

JM
Old 01-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #25
frabjous
Wizard

I would post about it in the other thread. Nathan would know a lot more about the problem than me. You might need to compile your own... not sure.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #26
jfontana

OK, Thanks Frabjous. I think I know what's going on. I did '%file soPDF_Frontend' and I saw that it had been compiled for a 64 bit processor. I still have a 32 bit processor. I'll recompile the source.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #27
frabjous
Wizard

Yeah, I should have mentioned that in the other thread. I will do so.