Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #76
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I find this firmware to be a big step forward in terms of usability of the UI in general thanks to the addition of the paging buttons.

Also, I have noticed that the "My Words" feature now properly sorts the list either alphabetically or by recency! I have been waiting for this feature to work since I bought my Kobo e-reader this year and am delighted that this works now! Fantastic!
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:27 AM   #77
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
[...] it appears/seems you can only have 1 collection on the homescreen at any given time which is definitely a big no no for me.

Out of curiosity, why? You get the four currently reading books on the top row... what exactly is gained by access to several different collections from the home screen?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2018, 03:37 AM   #78
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Out of curiosity, why? You get the four currently reading books on the top row... what exactly is gained by access to several different collections from the home screen?
If youre only a book reader might be enough, as you dont need to go into collections that often.
But then there are also comic book readers, about 15-30 minutes per book, and you often want to switch series.
So i see his point, and would also welcome multiple collections on home screen in newer firmwares.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #79
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaLx3m View Post
If youre only a book reader might be enough, as you dont need to go into collections that often.
But then there are also comic book readers, about 15-30 minutes per book, and you often want to switch series.
So i see his point, and would also welcome multiple collections on home screen in newer firmwares.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Aaahh yes that makes sense, thanks for explaining!
Old 12-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #80
koboclarahd
koboclarahd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD
Hey all! I'm new to mobileread, ereaders and kobo, so please go easy on me as I'm not sure where to post this.

I picked up the Kobo ClaraHD and am very happy with it. However, the second I got it, I booted it up and modded the firmware as explained here:

https://yingtongli.me/blog/2018/07/29/kobo-sd.html

I want to know if its safe to just update the reader or is there any other way that would be preferable?
koboclarahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #81
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboclarahd View Post
Hey all! I'm new to mobileread, ereaders and kobo, so please go easy on me as I'm not sure where to post this.

I picked up the Kobo ClaraHD and am very happy with it. However, the second I got it, I booted it up and modded the firmware as explained here:

I want to know if its safe to just update the reader or is there any other way that would be preferable?

Hello! Welcome, and congratulations on your new Clara, good choice!

You say you modded the firmware, but you are linking to a blog that guides you through the process of upgrading the internal microSD card...

- if you upgraded the microSD card, your Clara will work normally as if you hadn’t upgraded the card except it will have more storage. So there’s no problem updating the firmware
- if you modified the firmware with add-ons or patches, it is still safe to update the firmware, but your modifications will be lost and you’ll have to re-do them

Hope that helps
Old 12-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #82
koboclarahd
koboclarahd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD
Quote:
Hello! Welcome, and congratulations on your new Clara, good choice!

You say you modded the firmware, but you are linking to a blog that guides you through the process of upgrading the internal microSD card...

- if you upgraded the microSD card, your Clara will work normally as if you hadn’t upgraded the card except it will have more storage. So there’s no problem updating the firmware
- if you modified the firmware with add-ons or patches, it is still safe to update the firmware, but your modifications will be lost and you’ll have to re-do them

Hope that helps

Thank you for making me feel welcome and taking the time to check the link. I followed the next steps in it, and also did that setting change which allows the tablet to utilize the footer better. I have not upgraded the SD card yet as didnt really feel the need.

However, worst case scenario, has anyone imaged their card so or is there a 'factory reset' option I can use to revert to original if things dont go well?
koboclarahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #83
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you for making me feel welcome and taking the time to check the link. I followed the next steps in it, and also did that setting change which allows the tablet to utilize the footer better. I have not upgraded the SD card yet as didnt really feel the need.

However, worst case scenario, has anyone imaged their card so or is there a 'factory reset' option I can use to revert to original if things dont go well?

No problem!

I’m still not quite sure which modification steps you followed or which settings you changed... In any case, any regular settings in the GUI will stay the same with a firmware update. So will any changes in the .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf file. Any firmware patches and add-ons will be removed when you update.

Don’t worry, a normal update really won’t harm your Clara. If really necessary a factory reset can be done from within the settings menu, or if that’s not possible you can factory reset manually by holding the power button for 30 while the Clara is off and plugged into a power source.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #84
denisuu
Zealot
denisuu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx Leaf 2 (White)
Quote:

I also followed that tutorial, I just did the upgrade it's still working without registration and telnet/SSH is still working too!

Did you follow this step too?: Hacking the Kobo Clara HD – 4.1: Telnet over USB

Last edited by denisuu; 12-15-2018 at 02:30 PM.
denisuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #85
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Found a minor bug on the Kobo Aura:

If I adjust the brightness using the two-finger swipe, and then open the brightness menu by tapping the sun icon, the slider does not reflect the current setting but rather the setting from the last time I used the slider. Not a big deal, just a small annoyance.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #86
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Found a minor bug on the Kobo Aura:

If I adjust the brightness using the two-finger swipe, and then open the brightness menu by tapping the sun icon, the slider does not reflect the current setting but rather the setting from the last time I used the slider. Not a big deal, just a small annoyance.
That bug has been present since 4.11.11980 and has been reported by me in that thread, and also saw one more member report it as far as i remember in 4.11.11982 thread.
Probably reported in wrong place idk, since it still hasnt been fixed.

Edit: Btw im using Original H20, so i suppose its safe to asume its present on all devices.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #87
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:

This forum isn’t Kobo’s forum. The best way to report bugs is to report them to Kobo.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #88
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That bug has been present since 4.11.11980 and has been reported by me in that thread, and also saw one more member report it as far as i remember in 4.11.11982 thread.
If you only reported it here, then yes, it is the wrong place. This is not an official support forum. You need to report the bug to Kobo.
Quote:
Edit: Btw im using Original H20, so i suppose its safe to asume its present on all devices.
Just tried this on my devices. It works properly the Aura ONE and Clara HD. But, not the Glo, Aura H2O and Glo HD. So, it is probably a problem on the devices without the colour changing lights.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:40 PM   #89
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
i prefer it mainly because i have 14 pages worth of collections to go through therefore i find it much easier to have as many of them as possible on the home screen. sometimes i may have 2 or 3 books showing and the rest are collections or i might have 4 books and a couple of collections. ultimately i do it because i have the choice to do so. the old home screen in my opinion is much more user friendly in that regard. thank you for asking

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:08 AM   #90
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
ultimately i do it because i have the choice to do so. the old home screen in my opinion is much more user friendly in that regard.
The new home screen works for me. I've gotten used to it. The changes to the firmware in the last few versions have made it worth the update.

But if Kobo were to decide to go to some dolled-up version of the old configurable tile home screen, I would be very happy they did.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote