Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #16
aguedry
aguedry began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
How to Import BN Downloaded Books into Aldiko

How do I import B&N downloaded books into Aldiko? Can't seem to figure out how to do it.
Thanks
Angie
aguedry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Which version of the app are you using?
Just upgraded to the pay version so I'll see how that goes. Maybe that'll fix my issues. Well, maybe not ALL my issues but the one's with opening BN books in Aldiko.
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #18
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguedry View Post
How do I import B&N downloaded books into Aldiko? Can't seem to figure out how to do it.
Thanks
Angie
It doesn't work with the funky B&N DRM (there's no way to enter the required credit card info). It's for regular Adobe DRM which uses your Adobe ID.

You would have to remove the DRM from your books if that's something you would consider doing. Some people don't want to.

To import, the books would have to be on an SD card.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #19
ShadowDragon
Enthusiast
ShadowDragon has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguedry View Post
Thanks
Angie
Since I live in Canada I don't buy my books from B&N, but I believe the logic holds true....

If no one else has a direct answer to this, or if it simply can't be done, and there is no drm on the book in question, and the ebook ends in .epub, you might try the following.

With Root Explorer you should find your B&N Books in

/media/B&N Downloads/Books
copy them over to your SD card and place them into the folder
/eBooks/import/

Then do your import from Aldiko

A bit of dance for sure, but if there is no other easy way ...

EDIT: I see Scion and I posted at the same time

Last edited by ShadowDragon; 01-12-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: small addition
ShadowDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerperk View Post
Just upgraded to the pay version so I'll see how that goes. Maybe that'll fix my issues. Well, maybe not ALL my issues but the one's with opening BN books in Aldiko.
Don't mean to sound insulting. Did you remove the DRM from the books?
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #21
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I downloaded the free version of Aldiko......I like how you can read in landscape....
Maybe it's just the free version, but here's couple things I don't like....
No dictionary, like the stock reader
Not as many font choices
I moved/copied an BN epub book to the SD card, it seemed to import, but couldn't read it (Do BN books have DRM that prevent opening?)
Did the same for a library book, couldn't open it, assuming DRM thing.
The navigation is not as good as the standard nook reader (I don't see what Scion thumbnailed above, when I open a book)

Would the pay version of Aldiko on the market, make it better, and resolve my issues above.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #22
SCION
Séduisant

The pay version is version 2. The free version is 1.something. They are night and day. You want the pay version which will look like the screen shots I posted.

See post #18 about the DRM thing. This applies to version 2. The old version doesn't do DRM. None of the versions do the B&N thing.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #23
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
It doesn't work with the funky B&N DRM (there's no way to enter the required credit card info). It's for regular Adobe DRM which uses your Adobe ID.

You would have to remove the DRM from your books if that's something you would consider doing. Some people don't want to.

To import, the books would have to be on an SD card.
What is regular Adobe DRM, which uses Adobe ID mean?
ETA And how does it differ from any other DRM?

What good is Aldiko, if I can't read either my books from BN or my library books (I'm cheap, I really love the library books)

Last edited by The Joker; 01-12-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Another quesiton
Old 01-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #24
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
What is regular Adobe DRM, which uses Adobe ID mean?

What good is Aldiko, if I can't read either my books from BN or my library books (I'm cheap, I really love the library books(
Relax, don't you use your Adobe ID for library books? All the epubs that you can buy (besides B&N) use Adobe DRM (your Adobe ID).

As far as B&N books go, it's no different than reading Amazon ebooks on a Kindle or Kindle app only. If you don't want to remove DRM from your books, don't buy anymore B&N books. Buy epubs someplace else.

Edit: B&N's DRM requires knowing the associated credit card and account info.

Last edited by SCION; 01-12-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #25
The Joker
Addict

Quote:
Relax, don't you use your Adobe ID for library books? All the epubs that you can buy (besides B&N) use Adobe DRM (your Adobe ID).
I guess I do, I download library books using ADE (I've also used OMC), but when I went to open the libary book that I moved/copied to the SDcard, I get an error when opening the book, something about DRM. Same for the BN book...
Old 01-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #26
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I guess I do, I download library books using ADE (I've also used OMC), but when I went to open the libary book that I moved/copied to the SDcard, I get an error when opening the book, something about DRM. Same for the BN book...
Yes, the 1.something version doesn't do any DRM. It's just the version 2 that does. As of now, version 2 is only available as a paid app. Within the settings of the app is where you authorize your device. Just like how we did with the Overdrive app.

Again, you don't have to remove the DRM from non-B&N books. The app can read them.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #27
SCION
Séduisant

Just found out that with version 2 you can tap on a word to access dictionary or search Google or Wikipedia. Perhaps that'll get you to make the change.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #28
The Joker
Addict

ahhh....so If I get the pay version Aldiko, most of my issues with it will be resolved (except for BN downloaded books)...right? And I should be able to read my library books.....

I haven't actually bought anything from the market yet, I guess I need to set up an account....
Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #29
The Joker
Addict

I like that feature in the standard software.....doesn't work with the free version Aldiko....
Old 01-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #30
SCION
Séduisant

You'll come to appreciate it more when you understand how calibre and Aldiko play nice together. Many live by their calibre tags. It was disappointing to learn that the stock reader library shelves don't recognize calibre tags. Hence, everyone has to place their books on shelves one by one. If for some reason you need to reset your device and wipe out the content, you have no choice but to re-do the shelving process, one book at a time. Not to mention, some have a problem with the SD card thing and disappearing shelves.

Edit: I'll be missing in action for a bit. Will check in with you guys/gals later tonight.