Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2019, 12:06 AM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
At this point, Kobo aren't offering an update to a 4.x firmware. I assume 3.19.5761 was chosen because it has the needed security updates, and, as they had previously released it for the Mini for the rakuten affiliate, they already had a tested release.
Okay. Thanks. Sorry for my confusion. I changed my affiliate several months ago so I could use sync to upgrade to 3.19.5761. Am I already where I need to be then? Was the email just a general notice to all Mini users regardless of their current firmware release? If so, I'll just turn the WiFi back on, and the Mini will continue to get access to the bookstore. The one Touch is at 4.12.12111, so I guess both of these are where they need to be for this security upgrade? (The second Touch is at 3.19, I believe.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:55 AM   #32
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago Leite View Post
I click on the button and nothing happens... :/
Same thing happens to me.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:06 AM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Okay. Thanks. Sorry for my confusion. I changed my affiliate several months ago so I could use sync to upgrade to 3.19.5761. Am I already where I need to be then? Was the email just a general notice to all Mini users regardless of their current firmware release? If so, I'll just turn the WiFi back on, and the Mini will continue to get access to the bookstore. The one Touch is at 4.12.12111, so I guess both of these are where they need to be for this security upgrade? (The second Touch is at 3.19, I believe.)
Distribution of the update is the same as all other updates. The device checks with the server, if the available firmware is later than the installed firmware, it is downloaded and installed. As your Mini is already on 3.19.5761, nothing should happen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:55 AM   #34
Tiago Leite
Tiago Leite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Same thing happens to me.
Hi Robert

To do this update is mandatory to update the Kobo Mini by using a computer (Windows or OSX).
Trying to update by using only the Kobo device will result in that odd OK message.
Tiago Leite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:30 AM   #35
marianico
marianico began at the beginning.

Device: No way
Older Kobo Devices Require Update; Kobo Ending Support for Sony Readers, Kobo Mini

Is this true? No more kobo Store in the Mini even though we update to mandatory firmware. Pocket too?
marianico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianico View Post
Older Kobo Devices Require Update; Kobo Ending Support for Sony Readers, Kobo Mini

Is this true? No more kobo Store in the Mini even though we update to mandatory firmware. Pocket too?
No, the headline is misleading. The Mini will work if it's updated. Meanwhile, my Kobo WiFi, my Sony PRS-2 and the App on my Blackberry Q10 will quit working. I can probably load an Android version of the app on my Blackberry, but I liked having native support.

EDIT: When I followed the link to Kobo, I noted the Mini is not on either list ("unaffected" or "dropping support"). But I'm pretty sure they wouldn't say an upgrade is necessary, just so they can cancel support for it.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-30-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:24 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago Leite View Post
Hi Robert

To do this update is mandatory to update the Kobo Mini by using a computer (Windows or OSX).
Trying to update by using only the Kobo device will result in that odd OK message.
I did a factory reset on my Mini and it updated to 3.19.5761 over the air. I then updated it to 4.1.12111 (which it was on before the factory reset). Perhaps this weekend, I'll pop the internal uSD card out and see if it has had the recovery partition modified. If not, after Feb. 28th, you will need to use the Kobo desktop app after a factory reset.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-30-2019 at 06:26 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:36 PM   #38
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Here's the wording for the Mini notice I got ...

Your Kobo Mini eReader requires a mandatory software update by February 28, 2019. To stay aligned with global internet security standards, we are releasing a mandatory software update for all Kobo eReaders.

If they weren't planning on letting you use the Mini on their Bookstore, I don't think they would be concerned about it "staying aligned with global internet security standards." At least I hope that's the case.

Looks like I got it wrong.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-30-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:21 PM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here's the wording for the Mini notice I got ...

Your Kobo Mini eReader requires a mandatory software update by February 28, 2019. To stay aligned with global internet security standards, we are releasing a mandatory software update for all Kobo eReaders.

If they weren't planning on letting you use the Mini on their Bookstore, I don't think they would be concerned about it "staying aligned with global internet security standards." At least I hope that's the case.
It is possible they won't let you use the store from the device, but that it will be able to sync books that have been purchased in other ways (web, other devices, apps). And it will mean you can continue to use the browser and the WikiPedia and Google searches.

This is probably being caused be changes needed on the servers. To support the older devices and firmware, the servers need to be able to support the APIs used by them for both the store and the security protocols. If Kobo want to update the servers and software, they need to remove support for the older security protocols. Kobo also use Akamai for supplying files to the devices. It could be a change at Akamai that is prompting this.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:26 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

This is not what I got in my email, but it looks like the Mini is also being cut loose. (Which is weird since it's the same age as the Touch.) From the Kobo website ...

https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...mmon-questions

Quote:
What does this mean for my Kobo Mini?

As of February 28th, 2019, the Mini will no longer be supported by Rakuten Kobo. This means it will no longer receive software updates, and will not be able to connect to the Kobo Store.

Kobo Mini requires a mandatory software update by February 28th, 2019.

To stay aligned with global internet security standards, we are releasing a mandatory software update for all Kobo Mini eReaders. Without this update, the Kobo Mini will no longer be able to exit the setup process after a factory reset is performed.

No items in your Kobo library will be affected.

To update the Kobo Mini’s software: ...
What's the point of forcing the update, if you can't use the Mini on Kobo's site anyhow?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:32 PM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
It is possible they won't let you use the store from the device, but that it will be able to sync books that have been purchased in other ways (web, other devices, apps). And it will mean you can continue to use the browser and the WikiPedia and Google searches.
Okay. But why require a forced update just to use on other websites? It would be nice to continue to have the option to update or not.

Quote:
This is probably being caused be changes needed on the servers. To support the older devices and firmware, the servers need to be able to support the APIs used by them for both the store and the security protocols. ...
Except the Touch will continue to be supported which (I think) is older than the Mini? It's almost like something changed from the time I got the original email and now.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:59 PM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
No, the headline is misleading. The Mini will work if it's updated. (Well apparently not.) Meanwhile, my Kobo WiFi, my Sony PRS-2 and the App on my Blackberry Q10 will quit working. I can probably load an Android version of the app on my Blackberry, but I liked having native support.

EDIT: When I followed the link to Kobo, I noted the Mini is not on either list ("unaffected" or "dropping support"). But I'm pretty sure they wouldn't say an upgrade is necessary, just so they can cancel support for it. It looks like I was wrong. Dang.
Corrections made ... it looks like I was wrong.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:58 PM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay. But why require a forced update just to use on other websites? It would be nice to continue to have the option to update or not.
The security issues will be from the other sites as well. There are probably some sites that will reject the Mini connecting.

But, apart from the email and the reason given, the update is the same as any other update. Kobo have never given you a choice about updating. If you sync and there is an update available, it is downloaded and installed. This is the same.
Quote:
Except the Touch will continue to be supported which (I think) is older than the Mini? It's almost like something changed from the time I got the original email and now.
That's something I've been wondering about for a while. I never saw why they didn't keep updating the Mini. For the Touch, I asked Kobo about it at one time, and the answer was basically that they had sold a lot of them.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:13 AM   #44
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I own two Kobo Mini units, so I tried the over-the-air Wi-Fi upgrading on them. On the first, it failed, giving an OK dialog after having downloaded the update, but failing to install it, and not restarting.

On the second one, it worked flawlessly.

Both were on firmware 3.4.1 to begin with; the upgrade takes the unit to 3.19.5761 (12/29/15).

So, why did the update on my first unit fail, with just an OK dialog, and no actual update installed (even though it downloaded fine)? I believe the culprit was lack of storage space on the device -- but there was no error message to that effect.

I went into my library on the device, sorted by size, and deleted several particularly large books, getting me to the point where I had about 200MB free (sadly, I didn't note the exact figure). I then ran the synch again, and my first unit properly completed the update as well.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:41 AM   #45
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I own two Kobo Mini units, so I tried the over-the-air Wi-Fi upgrading on them. On the first, it failed, giving an OK dialog after having downloaded the update, but failing to install it, and not restarting.

On the second one, it worked flawlessly.

Both were on firmware 3.4.1 to begin with; the upgrade takes the unit to 3.19.5761 (12/29/15).

So, why did the update on my first unit fail, with just an OK dialog, and no actual update installed (even though it downloaded fine)? I believe the culprit was lack of storage space on the device -- but there was no error message to that effect.

I went into my library on the device, sorted by size, and deleted several particularly large books, getting me to the point where I had about 200MB free (sadly, I didn't note the exact figure). I then ran the synch again, and my first unit properly completed the update as well.
that makes sense. my Mini is on 3.16.0 and if i go below 100MB and add a book/books the cover/covers show as blank because of lack of space on the device.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote