Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2023, 05:02 AM   #1
MysteryMan2
Member
MysteryMan2 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 18
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2014
Device: ASUS TF101
Replacement for Calibre Companion?

My current set up is as follows:

I use Calibre on my Windows PC to manage library of eBooks (I think the repository is on Dropbox but can't remember where!)

I use Moon+ Reader Pro on my Android devices (tablet and phone) to read the books. I like this app and it keeps track of reading position so I can swap between the devices quite easily

I use Calibre Companion on the Android devices to access the repository (on Dropbox), browse my books, download to device and kick off the Moon+ Reader app.

This all worked fine for years, but, the latest version of Calibre Companion has broken things as it no longer detects any reader apps. I can work round this but it is not particularly slick.

What I need is another method/app to put on Android that will allow me to interact with the Calibre repository. Any suggestions?
MysteryMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 03:27 PM   #2
MysteryMan2
Member
MysteryMan2 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 18
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2014
Device: ASUS TF101
Sorted!

I have installed Calibre Sync and this seems to do what I need
MysteryMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2024, 08:43 PM   #3
akailiajade
Member
akailiajade began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 14
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2018
Device: Acer Iconia One 8 Tablet
Add Calibre to Your Net Libraries in Moon+ App to Access Your Calibre Library

I've been searching for an answer to the broken CC problem for months. To my amazement, I think I finally found it!

You can add Calibre to Moon + by giving the app the IP address for your Calibre Library. Just go to Net Libraries and add a new catalogue for Calibre. There's a button to bring up a fill-in-the-blank to add the IP address of your Calibre Library. You can find the IP address of your library under the Content Server information in Calibre.

I don't know how this will work going forward and I take ZERO RESPONSIBILITY for anybody's individual results. But I was so excited to be able to access my Calibre books again, that I just had to share!

Good luck!


Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMan2 View Post
My current set up is as follows:

I use Calibre on my Windows PC to manage library of eBooks (I think the repository is on Dropbox but can't remember where!)

I use Moon+ Reader Pro on my Android devices (tablet and phone) to read the books. I like this app and it keeps track of reading position so I can swap between the devices quite easily

I use Calibre Companion on the Android devices to access the repository (on Dropbox), browse my books, download to device and kick off the Moon+ Reader app.

This all worked fine for years, but, the latest version of Calibre Companion has broken things as it no longer detects any reader apps. I can work round this but it is not particularly slick.

What I need is another method/app to put on Android that will allow me to interact with the Calibre repository. Any suggestions?
akailiajade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:23 AM   #4
MysteryMan2
Member
MysteryMan2 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 18
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2014
Device: ASUS TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by akailiajade View Post
I've been searching for an answer to the broken CC problem for months. To my amazement, I think I finally found it!

You can add Calibre to Moon + by giving the app the IP address for your Calibre Library. Just go to Net Libraries and add a new catalogue for Calibre. There's a button to bring up a fill-in-the-blank to add the IP address of your Calibre Library. You can find the IP address of your library under the Content Server information in Calibre.

I don't know how this will work going forward and I take ZERO RESPONSIBILITY for anybody's individual results. But I was so excited to be able to access my Calibre books again, that I just had to share!

Good luck!
This sounds interesting and will definitely give it a try. However, I failed at the first hurdle! Can you explain how "You can find the IP address of your library under the Content Server information in Calibre.", please?

Thanks
MysteryMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 12:30 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 37,049
Karma: 148321038
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMan2 View Post
This sounds interesting and will definitely give it a try. However, I failed at the first hurdle! Can you explain how "You can find the IP address of your library under the Content Server information in Calibre.", please?

Thanks
Calibre => Preferences => Sharing over the Net => Start server. The status line in the pane will show the server IP address and port.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Content_server.png
Views:	52
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	207729  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2024, 06:56 AM   #6
MysteryMan2
Member
MysteryMan2 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 18
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2014
Device: ASUS TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Calibre => Preferences => Sharing over the Net => Start server. The status line in the pane will show the server IP address and port.
Thanks for reply.

Not sure this is going to work for me as I keep my Calibre library on Dropbox.

The IP address I see when I "Start Server" is a local one on my PC (192.168.1.180)!

Would I need to have my PC running in order to use your technique?

Thanks
MysteryMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:53 AM   #7
akailiajade
Member
akailiajade began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 14
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2018
Device: Acer Iconia One 8 Tablet
Find Address of Calibre Content Server

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMan2 View Post
This sounds interesting and will definitely give it a try. However, I failed at the first hurdle! Can you explain how "You can find the IP address of your library under the Content Server information in Calibre.", please?

Thanks
Hi MM!

Yes. Go to the menu at the top of the screen in Calibre. Click on CONNECT/SHARE. When the drop-down opens, select START CONTENT SERVER. Calibre will take you back to the menu. Click CONNECT/SHARE again, & you will see a selection to STOP CONTENT SERVER. Directly to the right of that, you will see the server address.

I wish there was a way to paste an image here. It would make things so much easier! I think I've given you the information you need to find the address. Let me know if it works for you.

Good luck!
akailiajade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 08:30 AM   #8
akailiajade
Member
akailiajade began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 14
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2018
Device: Acer Iconia One 8 Tablet
Yes, you do have to have the PC running to access the server. I've been overcoming this hurdle by importing my books into my phone/tablet. I have tons of storage on both devices so this is a viable option for me. I recognize that it may not be for you. My library is about 1200 books. I like being able to browse my entire library for an unread book, or to reread a favorite book.
akailiajade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:32 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 37,049
Karma: 148321038
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMan2 View Post
Not sure this is going to work for me as I keep my Calibre library on Dropbox.
Please move your library back to local storage. Using network attached storage for your library is asking to have problems. See I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS? in the calibre FAQs.

The messages posted here about such errors generally start "I've kept my library on <NAS, storage service of your choice, whatever> for years and now my library will not mount or I can't see any books in it, etc.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:32 AM   #10
MysteryMan2
Member
MysteryMan2 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 18
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2014
Device: ASUS TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Please move your library back to local storage. Using network attached storage for your library is asking to have problems. See I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS? in the calibre FAQs.

The messages posted here about such errors generally start "I've kept my library on <NAS, storage service of your choice, whatever> for years and now my library will not mount or I can't see any books in it, etc.
My current setup, with Calibre library on Dropbox and using Calibre Sync works OK.

If I put the library on local storage then I wouldn't be able to access from my tablet and phone whenever the PC was switched off......unless I am missing something!
MysteryMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 09:25 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Quoth's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,760
Karma: 87663463
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ireland
Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMan2 View Post
My current setup, with Calibre library on Dropbox and using Calibre Sync works OK.
Yesterday or today. You'll lose it. Do a local backup today.

Inherently it's doomed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:44 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 37,049
Karma: 148321038
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMan2 View Post
My current setup, with Calibre library on Dropbox and using Calibre Sync works OK.

If I put the library on local storage then I wouldn't be able to access from my tablet and phone whenever the PC was switched off......unless I am missing something!
Perhaps you should look at the number of messages in the calibre forum about people who have stored their live libraries on various cloud storage ranging from a local NAS to Dropbox/OneDrive/etc. The common theme is "I've been doing this for years and now my library is corrupt/I've lost most of my books/etc. Help!"

Keep your library local and sync it when calibre is closed to Dropbox/OneDrive/whatever. You can use a sync utility that allows for incremental syncs so only the changed bits get synced which is my personal preference.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 04:32 AM   #13
MysteryMan2
Member
MysteryMan2 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 18
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2014
Device: ASUS TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps you should look at the number of messages in the calibre forum about people who have stored their live libraries on various cloud storage ranging from a local NAS to Dropbox/OneDrive/etc. The common theme is "I've been doing this for years and now my library is corrupt/I've lost most of my books/etc. Help!"

Keep your library local and sync it when calibre is closed to Dropbox/OneDrive/whatever. You can use a sync utility that allows for incremental syncs so only the changed bits get synced which is my personal preference.
OK, thanks......I'll do that!
MysteryMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:37 AM   #14
MysteryMan2
Member
MysteryMan2 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 18
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2014
Device: ASUS TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by akailiajade View Post
I've been searching for an answer to the broken CC problem for months. To my amazement, I think I finally found it!

You can add Calibre to Moon + by giving the app the IP address for your Calibre Library. Just go to Net Libraries and add a new catalogue for Calibre. There's a button to bring up a fill-in-the-blank to add the IP address of your Calibre Library. You can find the IP address of your library under the Content Server information in Calibre.

I don't know how this will work going forward and I take ZERO RESPONSIBILITY for anybody's individual results. But I was so excited to be able to access my Calibre books again, that I just had to share!

Good luck!
OK, I have moved my Calibre library to my local PC hard drice, as suggested, and set up the Net Library in Moon+. This worked and I can see all my books. However.......

Am I right that in order for this to work....
  • The PC needs to be switched on
  • Calibre needs to be running
  • I need to START CONTENT SERVER
  • Have the mobile/tablet connected to my home WiFi

If all these are true then this is not a practical solution to my situation!

I would like to be able to access my Calibre library from both my phone and tablet (both Android).

Looks like I still need to use Calibre Sync. Can this be used with the library on the PC?
MysteryMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 02:58 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 37,049
Karma: 148321038
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Not quite right. The way I was looking at it was that when you close calibre, you would sync any changes to your cloud storage (OneDrive, Dropbox, whatever) and use Moon+ to access your library in the cloud the same way as you previously did.

This would allow you to access your library from anywhere without have to use calibre's content server and having to make it accessible from outside your home LAN.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Android] Calibre Companion Noob, Need Help Making Calibre Library Show Up on Shelf bookiebabe Calibre Companion 4 02-10-2017 09:37 PM
Calibre companion, calibre-server, and url-prefix: A question for the dev duckpuppy Calibre Companion 4 10-10-2016 09:05 AM
Using Cloud Service with Calibre Companion vs a Local Calibre Server varaonaid Calibre Companion 26 04-10-2016 01:55 AM
Calibre Companion: upcoming calibre 1.13 release forces full metadata send chaley Calibre Companion 3 12-04-2013 11:20 AM
Calibre (or Calibre Companion) For Fetching News Directly Onto Android Tablets? mojumoka Devices 2 12-11-2012 12:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:25 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.