Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
Jadeleigh19
Jadeleigh19 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Unhappy Kobo Glo HD not connecting to laptop

Only had my Kobo Glo HD a month. Connected it to my laptop when i first got it to add books to my ereader, everything was fine... yesterday i went to connect it again to add some more books and the ereader says im connected (Black screen with ereader and computer shown) but my laptop said something about unrecognisable error... today ive tried again and my laptop isnt even registering that something is connected. Ive gone through forums and restarted this and that, changed this and that, removed this and that but nothing is working... even tried connecting it to 2 other PC's but the same thing is happening... ran out of books to read!!!
Any ideas what the issue may be and whether it could be fixable at my end? or is there another way to put the books on my ereader?
Jadeleigh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
From the description, it sounds like you are using Windows. Which version? And is it up to date? The description fits the problems with Windows 10 discussed in Calibre not seeing Kobo in Windows 10 Preview builds. But, if are using Win10 and have everything up to date, then it should be OK.

Any chance to try a non-Windows computer? A Mac or something running Linux should be good to prove whether it is the device.

An alternative way to get books on the device (other than buying from Kobo), is via the browser. If you are using calibre for ebook management, you can enable the server and use the browser to look at the book list and download the books. It isn't perfect, but it lets you get something to read while sorting out the real problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
You said you tried 2 other computers, but have you tried a different USB cable?
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:42 AM   #4
Jadeleigh19
Jadeleigh19 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Yes i have tried many different USB cables...
i have windows 10 on my laptop but whether it has updated within that month between the kobo connecting and not connecting i don't remember. Ive never had to connect through calibre before so not sure how that will work
Jadeleigh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:11 AM   #5
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
It used to work for me with Surface Book, the latest versions of Windows 10 and connecting via the dock, but it was growing more difficult these last days: it often didn't work on the first try, but I often had to try several times, sometimes just unplug/plug, sometimes doing a restart of the PC, though even then the device had the "connect" pop-up on first starting but lost it with the PC password screen.

This morning the connection doesn't work, whatever I try, on the Aura One, H2o or Glo HD, even though the last upgrade on the PC was on 16 October, and on the devices 10 October at the latest (Aura One).
They still load if I connect through the dock (not if I connect direct on the Surface.

I don't understand what could cause it when nothing changed anywhere.

@davidfor: I'm using Calibre portable to facilitate syncing with my old Asus laptop, with its own problems (no sound for one since I'm on Windows 10), but was a boon when a virus killed my old Sony for a while, and I need nowadays to upgrade my Tom-tom, which is not recognized by Surface either, since day 1, dock or not. Is it compatible with Calibre management (never heard of that before)?

EDIT: ok before I asked I should have looked at Calibre before asking questions. It won't be easy anyway, since I have 2536 books on the One today, and use 4.1 Go of the 6.9 available. Also many covers above the 600x800 size limit (the compress images tool doesn't change that).

Last edited by anacreon; 10-23-2016 at 04:31 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@anacreon: I'm not sure if there is a question in there or not.

I have no idea about the problems with the Surface. I don't have one, so I can't test.

For the old laptop, are you copying your calibre library to this? And then planning to do you syncing to the device from the? I'm not sure what you mean by "Calibre management". I did say "use calibre for ebook management" with a suggestion of using the server function so that books could be downloaded to the device over WiFi. I'm not sure if that's the bit you were referring to.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@anacreon: I'm not sure if there is a question in there or not.

I have no idea about the problems with the Surface. I don't have one, so I can't test.

For the old laptop, are you copying your calibre library to this? And then planning to do you syncing to the device from the? I'm not sure what you mean by "Calibre management". I did say "use calibre for ebook management" with a suggestion of using the server function so that books could be downloaded to the device over WiFi. I'm not sure if that's the bit you were referring to.
That's the bit. What I don't understand is how I can download books with the Calibre metadata/shelves and sync reading positions between calibre and the device via wifi.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
That's the bit. What I don't understand is how I can download books with the Calibre metadata/shelves and sync reading positions between calibre and the device via wifi.
Sorry, through the browser you can only download the books. The metadata should be set in the books already or updated when calibre is sending the books to you (I'm not completely sure about this). The shelve and reading positions won't be sent.

The browser/calibre server option is not ideal, but it works. I made the suggestion in my original post as it gives a way to get books onto the device until whatever the real problem was is solved.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:51 AM   #9
anacreon
Guru

This morning I found this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=300 and went on to download the MiniTool Free partition manager, but when I connected the One to apply it, it was recognized by the Surface Book. I really don't understand, but next time it happens I will try it.

Tags
#kobo #glo