Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #121
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks, Kevin.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #122
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
How (and why?) do you build the TOC before all the chapters are split and given suitable <h1>Chapter Name</h1> headings? Then you can use the Create TOC function for both the internal TOC and the HTML one.
You're right, of course. I don't "build" the TOC. It's simply there, inherited from the print edition.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2018, 06:02 PM   #123
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
You're right, of course. I don't "build" the TOC. It's simply there, inherited from the print edition.
And generally gets discarded, in favour of a more functional one.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #124
kdd6
kdd6 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Yes, any 8.6.x version should work given the symlinks used to point to the library.
thank you. now i can install.

cheers!
kdd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:58 AM   #125
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
It's the first time I download Sigil but when I try to install it, Windows warns me that it is from Unknown publisher. Could you sign the .exe in order to avoid this frightening message,please?
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2018, 06:05 AM   #126
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desk7 View Post
It's the first time I download Sigil but when I try to install it, Windows warns me that it is from Unknown publisher. Could you sign the .exe in order to avoid this frightening message,please?
No. Signing certificates that will make that Windows message go away are prohibitively expensive and--in my opinion--invasive (never mind my objections to "pay to be less frightening" extortion schemes in general).

We provide checksums and GPG signatures to ensure that what you get is what we uploaded (and was uploaded by who github believes us to be). If that's not sufficient, people are free to: a) lobby Microsoft to relax their increasingly draconian and unnecessarily prohibitive "security" measures; b) trust us; c) build the installer themselves; d) not use Sigil.

Sigil is free, it's open-source, and it's maintained by volunteers who don't accept (or want) money/donations for their efforts. No one has to trust my Windows binary installer if they don't want to. In fact, I provide detailed instructions so people can create their own Sigil binaries (for free) if they so choose.

Sorry for the slight rant. It's just that I often explore the options available to me to eliminate Microsoft's "frightening" Unknown Publisher installer warning. And I come away more angry and more disgusted each and every time. So I'm not paying the extortionate fees (or tolerating an identity verification proccess) just to be "allowed" to distribute free software. It doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-25-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:34 AM   #127
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No. Signing certificates that will make that Windows message go away are prohibitively expensive and--in my opinion--invasive (never mind my objections to "pay to be less frightening" extortion schemes in general).

We provide checksums and GPG signatures to ensure that what you get is what we uploaded (and was uploaded by who github believes us to be). If that's not sufficient, people are free to: a) lobby Microsoft to relax their increasingly draconian and unnecessarily prohibitive "security" measures; b) trust us; c) build the installer themselves; d) not use Sigil.

Sigil is free, it's open-source, and it's maintained by volunteers who don't accept (or want) money/donations for their efforts. No one has to trust my Windows binary installer if they don't want to. In fact, I provide detailed instructions so people can create their own Sigil binaries (for free) if they so choose.

Sorry for the slight rant. It's just that I often explore the options available to me to eliminate Microsoft's "frightening" Unknown Publisher installer warning. And I come away more angry and more disgusted each and every time. So I'm not paying the extortionate fees (or tolerating an identity verification proccess) just to be "allowed" to distribute free software. It doesn't sit well with me.
Thank you for your honest answer. I didn't know how it works.
Given that the Mac OS X Package is code signed with your Apple Developer signature, I thought it was simple to do the same thing in Windows

Last edited by desk7; 10-25-2018 at 06:37 AM.
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:10 AM   #128
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desk7 View Post
Thank you for your honest answer. I didn't know how it works.
Given that the Mac OS X Package is code signed with your Apple Developer signature, I thought it was simple to do the same thing in Windows
If it was a similar price and similar process to Apple's developer sig, I'd have done it long ago.

Again: sorry about the rant.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:20 AM   #129
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
BTW, Apple is getting much worse along this dimension as well. They just alerted me that a future version of OS X will require me to submit Sigil to Apple so that it can be "notarized" otherwise it will not install or run. Even if properly code signed!

FWIW, If they go through with it and prevent unnotarized software from running I will stop my devloper id completely as it would then be worthless. Censureship of opensource software and preventing user choice is simply not acceptable. At that point, I ill simply move back to Linux and the Mac version can just bitrot.

Code:
macOS Mojave is here. Give Mac users even more confidence in your software 
distributed outside the Mac App Store by submitting it to Apple to be notarized.
When users on macOS Mojave first open a notarized app, installer package, or 
disk image, they’ll see a more streamlined Gatekeeper dialog and have 
confidence that it is not known malware. 

Download Xcode 10 and submit your software today. In an upcoming 
release of macOS, Gatekeeper will require Developer ID–signed software to 
be notarized by Apple. 

Learn about getting your software notarized 

If you have any questions, contact us. 

Best regards, 
Apple Developer Relations

Last edited by KevinH; 10-25-2018 at 08:29 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #130
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

That's terrible. At least on Windows, they don't seem like they're willing (yet) to completely eliminate the user's choice in the matter. They just make it as terrifying as possible (not to mention difficult and completely unintuitive for the uninitiated) to move past the "unknown publisher" warning.

They (Windows) also don't have a straightforward, in-house solution for software devs who might want to sign their binaries. They leave it up to hundreds of third-party certificate providers/sellers. So you get to do tons of research into how much reputability (not to mention Windows compatibility) you can afford to purchase. From rock-solid and completely unaffordable, to fly-by-night reputations (and questionable Windows installer compatibility) but dirt-cheap. And everything in between.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-25-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #131
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This will really Kill the rapid development and bug fix cycles we enjoy with these Open Source programs.

I already knew about the M$ extortion to remove the warning.

The problem with what they did, was everyone got used to clicking 'allow' (with no clue if it really should be allowed). Signing was supposed to be a way for regular folk to know that the program was safe. Charging big $ for the seal of approval, created the reason for bypassing that process.
Now we know a reason W10 was free: Makes Software as a (FEE BASED) Service...even if M$ did not write a line of code.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #132
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
BTW, Apple is getting much worse along this dimension as well. They just alerted me that a future version of OS X will require me to submit Sigil to Apple so that it can be "notarized" otherwise it will not install or run. Even if properly code signed!

FWIW, If they go through with it and prevent unnotarized software from running I will stop my devloper id completely as it would then be worthless. Censureship of opensource software and preventing user choice is simply not acceptable. At that point, I ill simply move back to Linux and the Mac version can just bitrot.

Code:
macOS Mojave is here. Give Mac users even more confidence in your software 
distributed outside the Mac App Store by submitting it to Apple to be notarized.
When users on macOS Mojave first open a notarized app, installer package, or 
disk image, they’ll see a more streamlined Gatekeeper dialog and have 
confidence that it is not known malware. 

Download Xcode 10 and submit your software today. In an upcoming 
release of macOS, Gatekeeper will require Developer ID–signed software to 
be notarized by Apple. 

Learn about getting your software notarized 

If you have any questions, contact us. 

Best regards, 
Apple Developer Relations
This is indeed disturbing. If Apple does this, would a viable option be to give up your Developer ID but continue to develop Sigil for Mac as an unsigned app? I could be wrong, but I'm interpreting Apple's statement that "Gatekeeper will require Developer ID–signed software to be notarized by Apple" to mean: if you want your app to be signed, it needs to be notarized; otherwise it will be an unsigned app and users will receive a warning dialog box and need to explicitly grant permission to install.

Also, would this be another reason for Mac users to stick with High Sierra and avoid Mojave? I expect I will avoid whatever comes after Mojave because I have 32-bit apps I rely on, but I was thinking about upgrading to Mojave.

Thank you
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #133
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
If I can find a way to not Apple sign but use a third party signing tool, I will do that. But I for one do not want to use an OS that will only run/install things that Apple decides on. That is just not right. I purchased a general desktop computing device not a glorified ipad/iphone with Apple closing everything into its walled garden.

A that point, I move back to Linux.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #134
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's terrible. At least on Windows, they don't seem like they're willing (yet) to completely eliminate the user's choice in the matter. They just make it as terrifying as possible (not to mention difficult and completely unintuitive for the uninitiated) to move past the "unknown publisher" warning.
I'm confused. According to Apple's statement, "Gatekeeper will require Developer ID-signed software to be notarized." That's not the same as saying only Developer ID-signed software can be installed and run, is it?

Wouldn't this just mean software from an "unknown publisher" will throw up a warning, just as already happens on Windows?

Quote:
If I can find a way to not Apple sign but use a third party signing tool, I will do that ...
Okay, thank you. I find myself feeling panicky at the possibility of losing Sigil
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #135
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I can find a way to not Apple sign but use a third party signing tool, I will do that. But I for one do not want to use an OS that will only run/install things that Apple decides on. That is just not right. I purchased a general desktop computing device not a glorified ipad/iphone with Apple closing everything into its walled garden.

A that point, I move back to Linux.
There's only one valid reason to choose a platform - it runs the software you want to use. Buit it must have been quite a culture shock coming from Linux to Apple!
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote