Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Arrow New hardware version: kobo7

The v2 devices are kobo7. My update check bot just found out.

Here are the API URLs for proof:
http://api.kobobooks.com/1.0/Upgrade...79/kobo/0.0/N0
http://api.kobobooks.com/1.0/Upgrade...78/kobo/0.0/N0

There is one unfortunate (but possibly temporary) change though: The full version number does not seem to be in the upgrade url anymore (this will make the checks for my firmware page harder). If anyone has any ideas about extracting the version (preferably without downloading the whole zip), I'd really appreciate hearing it. The only way I've found is the second string after "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0; en-us;) AppleWebKit/%1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/%1 (Kobo Touch %2/%3)" in libnickel.

Last edited by geek1011; 04-28-2018 at 09:13 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to poke around with the update zip and see if anything major has changed about the layout of the update zips for kobo7 devices (compared to kobo6). I'll post my findings below.
  • The DTBs seem to be included in the upgrade folder now along with the kernel zImage (instead of a uImage). For those who are wondering about the difference, a uImage includes the u-boot bootloader built in while the zImage is just the kernel. Can someone PM me a SD card image of one of the v2 models so I can have a look and see if anything is different about the partition layout?
  • The dhd.ko wifi driver has been removed
  • The lowmem.ko misc driver has been removed
  • A whole bunch of USB drivers have been added (more than any previous hardware version), most notably usb_serial.ko (serial over usb?), usb_f_mass_storage.ko (I wonder what the kobo appears as to the computer now compared to previous models, and no, this is not usb OTG support), and usb_f_rndis.ko (usb ethernet)
  • Other than the drivers folder, the rest of KoboRoot is the same as the kobo6 update file.

Last edited by geek1011; 04-28-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Advert
Old 04-28-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
After downloading the new firmware to my H2O, Edition 2, v2, and connecting to Calibre, I get this pop-up:

calibre, version 3.20.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 146.
Device firmware version: (4, 8, 10956)

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
After downloading the new firmware to my H2O, Edition 2, v2, and connecting to Calibre, I get this pop-up:

calibre, version 3.20.0

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 146.
Device firmware version: (4, 8, 10956)

Jim
The database should be the same as for the mark 6 devices, as the nickel binary has not changed. It is probably that Calibre does not yet support the latest version (but I don't use Calibre much so I am not completely sure). The "Attempt to support newer firmware" option should work fine though, as the database hasn't changed much.

Also, could you tell me what the hash and version number is in the settings so I can see if it's the same as the mark 6 version?
Old 04-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
The database should be the same as for the mark 6 devices, as the nickel binary has not changed. It is probably that Calibre does not yet support the latest version (but I don't use Calibre much so I am not completely sure). The "Attempt to support newer firmware" option should work fine though, as the database hasn't changed much.

Also, could you tell me what the hash and version number is in the settings so I can see if it's the same as the mark 6 version?
I don't know what the hash number is, unless it's the information after the version number. The whole line reads:

4.8.10956(daee2c4220 4/17/18)

If there's someplace else I should be looking for the hash number, just let me know and I'll report back.

As for the Calibre info, presumably someone will ask me for some information if they need it.

Jim
Advert
Old 04-28-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
I don't know what the hash number is, unless it's the information after the version number. The whole line reads:

If there's someplace else I should be looking for the hash number, just let me know and I'll report back.

As for the Calibre info, presumably someone will ask me for some information if they need it.

Jim
Thanks. That's all I need to know for now. It seems to be the same as the other devices which is good. I'm going to work in adding the new devices to my firmware downloader.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

calibre, version 3.20.0
According to davidfor, the database has not changed in a manner that would cause issues with using the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver. See the attached image for the setting.

The database information should be updated in the next calibre release.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Newer firmware.PNG
Views:	384
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	163732  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:

Jim
May I also see the part of the your .kobo/version file which looks like 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000037#? I need that number so I can make sure I updated my firmware download page correctly. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:49 AM   #9
Strether
Guru

Sorry for the delay: I just noticed your request. Here's some numbers:
4.1.15,4.8.10956,4.1.15,4.1.15,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000378:

If this isn't what you want, I can just copy the whole thing for you.

Jim

Last edited by Strether; 04-29-2018 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Deleting serial number
Old 04-29-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry for the delay: I just noticed your request. Here's some numbers:
N########,4.1.15,4.8.10956,4.1.15,4.1.15,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000378:

If this isn't what you want, I can just copy the whole thing for you.

Jim
OK, that's what I needed. You might want to edit out the N##### because it is your serial number.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:12 AM   #11
evirtue
evirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Aura One-Kobo Glo HD
i own kobo glo hd which is 6" kobo6 device.

Would it be wise to get another one just for being kobo7?

What would be the new possible improvements on kobo7?

Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2 might be the device based on kobo7
evirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #12
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Any possible answers would be speculation. Will just have to wait for them to release it.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:29 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by evirtue View Post
i own kobo glo hd which is 6" kobo6 device.

Would it be wise to get another one just for being kobo7?

What would be the new possible improvements on kobo7?

Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2 might be the device based on kobo7
The only real difference seems to be in the processor.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, kobo7