Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Garrity, Jeff: Mars Girl, v1 29 Aug 2008

What readers are saying about Mars Girl:

Mars Girl is fast-paced, insightful, inventive and very, very funny. Its vision of where the mutual dependence of politicians and media producers will end is both hilarious and a little frightening. Put Karl Rove and Groucho Marx in a smoke-filled room, spin well on 24-hour news cycle, and you get Mars Girl. This should be required reading for anyone who watches cable news, votes or is thinking of running for President in 2012.
-Marc J. Sheehan

Mars Girl is reminiscent of Kurt Vonnegut's early satire ... [It's] a bizarre, satirical romp that offers a glimpse into the media and politics of a future that is probably nearer than most would like to admit.

-Bill Castanier, City Pulse, Lansing, Michigan

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.
You are free to download and distribute "Mars Girl" with attribution for noncommercial purposes.

http://www.marsgirl.us/
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Mars Girl.lrf (427.4 KB, 882 views)
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
jgarrity
Enthusiast
jgarrity doesn't litterjgarrity doesn't litterjgarrity doesn't litter

Device: Adobe Reader
Thanks!

Thanks to Madam Broshkina for posting Mars Girl, plus comments about the novel and a link to my site. I noticed some traffic coming to marsgirl.us from here so I checked out the site. Very nice. Has anybody out there read Mars Girl? I'm always looking for feedback.

I'll start posting some sections I cut from the novel on my site soon, so if you're interested, I should have one up in by mid-September and will add more new sections as I get them into shape.

Jeff Garrity
www.marsgirl.us
jgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Welcome to MobileRead.

Because of Madam Broshkina's mention of your book, I downloaded it. This was only about two days ago, so I have yet to read it.

I want to thank you - the author - for making it available; and I want to thank Madam Broshkina for making it available as a BBeb title.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Glad to have you on board Jeff. You are the second Author that I know of who has joined this site because of books of theirs that I have posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarrity View Post
Thanks to Madam Broshkina for posting Mars Girl, plus comments about the novel and a link to my site. I noticed some traffic coming to marsgirl.us from here so I checked out the site. Very nice. Has anybody out there read Mars Girl? I'm always looking for feedback.

I'll start posting some sections I cut from the novel on my site soon, so if you're interested, I should have one up in by mid-September and will add more new sections as I get them into shape.

Jeff Garrity
www.marsgirl.us
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
jgarrity
Enthusiast

A question for the Sony experts ... I received an e-mail from a man in the UK asking for a .pdb file of Mars Girl for a Sony reader, but here it's posted as a .lrf file for Sony. What's the difference? What software can I use to make a .lrf file?

Jeff
Advert
Old 09-05-2008, 02:24 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bit puzzled by that one, Jeff! LRF is the standard format used by the Sony Reader. The two main tools which can create it are "Book Designer" and "Calibre", both of which are free.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
jgarrity
Enthusiast

Thanks, Harry. I was also puzzled by the e-mail I received but I thought someone here would set me straight. I'll investigate the software you mentioned and get to work. I mistakenly thought publishing a book in a few formats would satisfy the vast majority of people. I don't know how they do it at manybooks.net, but they offer more than 20 formats for their books. I think I have a lot of work to do. It would be easier if everyone used a Sony reader, right?

Jeff
Old 09-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarrity View Post
Thanks, Harry. I was also puzzled by the e-mail I received but I thought someone here would set me straight. I'll investigate the software you mentioned and get to work. I mistakenly thought publishing a book in a few formats would satisfy the vast majority of people. I don't know how they do it at manybooks.net, but they offer more than 20 formats for their books. I think I have a lot of work to do. It would be easier if everyone used a Sony reader, right?

Jeff
I would agree with that, but Harry might find disagreement since he owns a Cybook Gen3 .

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Manybooks uses automated convertors, which don't always produce a nice result.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
you might want to look into making epub files ; this is the new standard format, specifically designed for ebooks, very powerful and flexible. if can be read natively on the sony already and soon on more devices, is automatically converted to mobipocket format by the mobi desktop app, and can be trivially converted to other formats as well. overall it means less work when creating ebooks.

you can find out about epub here and also i think there are plenty of people on this site who would be willing to help you out with ebook creation / conversion, maybe in exchange for a free copy of the book.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #11
jgarrity
Enthusiast

Since I don't yet own an ebook reader of any kind (other than my laptop) I'm not picking sides, but I'm encouraged to hear about epub. A standard format would make life easier.

Zelda, I'd be happy to hand over free copies of Mars Girl in exchange for help with file conversion, but there are no hard copies of the book, only digital files (I think that's what you mean). I'm considering printing a few hundred copies to sell from my site (www.marsgirl.us) but I like the free digital distribution possibilities. Because I'm an unknown author I'm just trying to get the book out there as much as possible and digital files are much more mobile and multiply much more easily than hard copies. Of course, they're a lot cheaper too. My theory is that if there's proven demand for Mars Girl, a publisher would be a lot easier to convince. But so far it's all theory.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jeff, that is brilliant news (and yes, i did mean free ebooks ; most people on this forum would prefer ebooks to paper books ).

i would like to propose that you start a new thread explaining this and saying that some conversion help would be welcome. this has already been done : Jeffrey A. Carver registered here to announce his new book, found that someone had already announced it, began discussing ebook formats and found himself with an eager team of volunteers to convert his books into practically every format that exists. take a look at how that first thread evolved (warning : it's pretty long. but it'll probably warm the cockles of your authory heart). mobileread can also help distribute your work, as madam broshkina has so aptly demonstrated.

you seem to have a good perspective on digital publishing and i think you're right that it's a great way to gain a reader base (here to start with). i'd also suggest you add a paypal donation button to your site (if you don't already have one) : you'd be surprised at just how many people think that authors deserve to be remunerated for their hard work.

also, i'm personally really pleased to see that you understand the importance of a standard format. there are plenty of people around here who can help you learn about epub and how to make epub files. if you start off with that format, it can be converted to pretty much any other format, and you'll have a really well-made digital file for archival purposes as well.

good luck ! and thanks for the books.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #13
jgarrity
Enthusiast

A few people have thanked me for making Mars Girl available ... a book is nothing without readers, so I appreciate the interest.

Zelda, where do you suggest creating such a thread. It seems there are different forums for different formats, but also a general forum for ebooks (among other things). I'm new here, and new to forums in general, so if you don't mind offering a bit of advice, I'd appreciate it.

Jeff
Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

hi jeff, well, your confusion is especially comprehensible since we are currently in the middle of a big reorganisation of the forums, so some topics are not the most obvious. and to be perfectly obvious even i am not positive here. but i think i would recommend that you put it in the "deals, freebies and ressources" forum. if necessary, we can always move it later !

also, i highly recommend you take a look at feedbooks, which will allow you to self-publish your books, free for the moment, and soon with the option to sell your books if you choose. they've just implemented their wysiwyg interface, which still has a bit of perfecting to be done but is operational ; test it out here : http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/add feedbooks is a brilliant ressource for authors because it really gives you a very powerful tool for self-publishing and making very well-crafted ebooks in (:heavenly chorus: ) epub format (as well as other formats, of course). you can publish your own books or make public domain books available, and feedbooks already has a huge user base with nearly a million books downloaded each month. i'm sure at least a few of them like science fiction so i'd take a close look if i were you ! and tell your friends !!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 PM   #15
jgarrity
Enthusiast

I uploaded a portion of Mars Girl at feedbooks a couple weeks ago. I had to add a return between every paragraph to make it readable, which is why I didn't upload the entire book. I assume there's something I could've done to solve the problem but nothing I tried worked. Maybe the new interface resolves that issue (or someone has a suggestion). I'll give it another try sometime.

I'll get the new thread started soon.

Jeff