Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #1066
JotaCe
JotaCe doesn't litterJotaCe doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3
Hi. I need some help to try to debrick my PW1 - 5.6.1.1. (jailbroken)

The problem started when trying to edit jars for margins. I changed the wrong parameter, and now the kindle has entered and endless resetting loop.

At first, I was able to stop the loop by pressing the start button for long time; the screen "your kindle needs repair" appeared. Later, I tried to reset again (with the button) and it has entered the loop again; this time I am not able to stop it.

During the restart loops, I have access to the kindle through windows (the device gets connected and I see the files and folders)

I need to connect in SSH mode in order to replace the edited jar that is causing the trouble. Could you help me with a brief instructions about how can I be able to do that? Thanks a lot!

EDIT: During the restart loops I've been able to copy a bin image in the root folder, and the system has updated itself. FIXED!

Last edited by JotaCe; 05-15-2017 at 11:37 AM.
JotaCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #1067
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JotaCe View Post
Hi. I need some help to try to debrick my PW1 - 5.6.1.1. (jailbroken)

The problem started when trying to edit jars for margins. I changed the wrong parameter, and now the kindle has entered and endless resetting loop.

At first, I was able to stop the loop by pressing the start button for long time; the screen "your kindle needs repair" appeared. Later, I tried to reset again (with the button) and it has entered the loop again; this time I am not able to stop it.

During the restart loops, I have access to the kindle through windows (the device gets connected and I see the files and folders)

I need to connect in SSH mode in order to replace the edited jar that is causing the trouble. Could you help me with a brief instructions about how can I be able to do that? Thanks a lot!

EDIT: During the restart loops I've been able to copy a bin image in the root folder, and the system has updated itself. FIXED!
And this time, you will remember to install "Rescue Pack" and optionally its add-on, "Cowards Rescue Pack" before you mess with the system files?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #1068
JotaCe
JotaCe doesn't litterJotaCe doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And this time, you will remember to install "Rescue Pack" and optionally its add-on, "Cowards Rescue Pack" before you mess with the system files?
It sounds good! I didn't know anything about those packages. I will search and study them before messing the files again, thanks!

EDIT: Great! The rescue pack was just what I was looking for before I managed to resurrect my kindle!

Last edited by JotaCe; 05-15-2017 at 01:27 PM.
JotaCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #1069
lSpencer
lSpencer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3w
Smile Thank You!!!!

I had a funny scenario where my k3w would update to v3.3 software, but would fail on attempts to get to v3.4 (and thus I could not try to go to V3.4.2). Even after a factory reset it was stuck. With your tool I was able to get to v3.4, and then v3.4.2 via the standard process. Thank you!!

My update worked using VMware running within win10. It did not work under Virtualbox. Thank you so much!!
lSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #1070
Suril
Suril began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi there!
My kindle 3 got broken somehow - one morning I opened it and the screen was blank white. No troubleshooting found online helped (the 20 - 30 seconds hold and so on).
The issue manifests itself like this:
- after starting charging, the orange light goes on for 12 - 14 seconds, then goes of - to make it on again, I need to plug off - in again and I got again the orange light for 12 - 14 seconds
- couple of days after trying to resolve this, I put Kindle out of the shelf and it was on the tree screen - the loading bar stuck 0,7 cm from the begining
- I tried having it charged overnight
- the computer does not recognize the Kindle when plugged in
- I bought a new battery, but the issue remains exactly the same - it is even the same when the battery is out
- I found out that after plugging charger in and out several times, I can make the orange light on for around 12 - 14 seconds only by pressing the on/off slider and after some time of doing this, the green light appears for couple of seconds, but nothing changes in the behaviour of the device itself
- I tried the Kubrick, however I did not get passed the phase where the device should have been recognized by computer - it simly never recognized it (i was stuck on the screen for over 30 minutes trying my best to get it recognized somehow)

I am kind of desperate now about my Kindle, can you, please, provide me with some advise, if you have some? I would be eternaly gratefull!
Suril is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #1071
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
@Suril

Have you plugged it into the wall, leaving it on the charger for 24-48 hours?

Have you plugged it into a running computer , leaving it on the charger for 24-48 hours?

Those are two of the first troubleshooting steps to charge up a battery from dead.

There have been reports ( I don't know about the kindle 3 ), about issues of damaged memory when the battery goes totally dead, but please report whether you have done either of those first two steps.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #1072
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suril View Post
- - - -
I am kind of desperate now about my Kindle, can you, please, provide me with some advise, if you have some? I would be eternaly gratefull!
What you describe seems to be a 'normal death' for a K3.
One day they just stop working, and nobody has ever figured out why.

You picked a good time, Amazon has a special trade-in offer now:
https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Trade-...de=10825010011
That is in addition to the usual $20 off.
Even non-working Kindles can be traded in.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #1073
Suril

@Coplate

Yes, I've done both of the attempts, the issue, however, remains the same

@knc1

So you are saying that there is no saving the Kindle? Is it not possible to do some manual hard reset or something?
Thanks for the tip about the Amazon trade-off. Do you know whether it applies to Czech Republic users too?
Old 06-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #1074
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
@Coplate

Yes, I've done both of the attempts, the issue, however, remains the same

@knc1

So you are saying that there is no saving the Kindle? Is it not possible to do some manual hard reset or something?
Thanks for the tip about the Amazon trade-off. Do you know whether it applies to Czech Republic users too?
It is a type of failure specific to the K3.
A lot of people have looked for the cause and cure, but nothing has been found.

Try whatever Amazon site serves your country.
If your country does not have its own, what would be close? Germany?
https://www.amazon.de/

Heck, you live there, you should know better than I do.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #1075
Suril

Quote:
It is a type of failure specific to the K3.
A lot of people have looked for the cause and cure, but nothing has been found.
That is so sad, but what can I do. Thanks for the information!
Quote:
Heck, you live there, you should know better than I do.
You are right of course, I was just wondering if you have some more info There is no official support / representation in my country. I'll figure something out.
Again - thanks for your time!
Old 06-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #1076
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
That is so sad, but what can I do. Thanks for the information!

You are right of course, I was just wondering if you have some more info There is no official support / representation in my country. I'll figure something out.
Again - thanks for your time!
Sorry, I don't have any more info.

There is a very large, very active Kindle user's site in Russia.
(Sorry, I forgot its name / link.)
Check with them, they might know what would be best for you to use from your location.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #1077
JackErbes
Enthusiast
JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.

Device: K4 Non Touch, Fire HD (3rd Gen)
Quote:
knc1 wrote:
You picked a good time, Amazon has a special trade-in offer now:
https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Trade-...de=10825010011
That is in addition to the usual $20 off.
Even non-working Kindles can be traded in.
I wonder how tough it is to get them to agree to accept your broken Kindle, those can be acquired pretty cheaply on eBay. I saw a stack of 7 broken Kindles offered there for an opening bid of $1 a while back... :>)

Jack
JackErbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #1078
JackErbes
Enthusiast
JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.

I decided to study my own question a little and found this, these are at least some of the criteria that the trade ins have to meet or comply with:

Electronics Condition Criteria - https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201983350

Quote:
Tablets must at least meet the following guidelines to be accepted for trade in:

Device holds a charge and functions perfectly
No cracks or other heavy damage
Few to no scratches or dents
Excludes Amazon Kindles and Fire Tablets

Kindles must at least meet the following guidelines to be accepted for trade in:

Device must match the product title and version, size and color selected

Fire Tablets must at least meet the following guidelines to be accepted for trade in:

Device must match the product title and version, size and color selected
So you have to have a non-Kindle tablet that is working and in good condition, and Kindles and Fire Tablets can only be traded in on like model if I understand it right...

I guess they wanted to make sure people would not break their Kindles and Fires on purpose as a step towards getting a newer model.

Jack
Old 07-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #1079
knc1
Going Viral

Your looking at the wrong set of conditions.
I linked you to the e-ink Kindles, not any other non-Kindles.
The "Excludes Kindles and Fire tablets" should have been a tip-off.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #1080
JackErbes
Enthusiast

Just want to report a just completed use of the Kubrick recovery process and that the process is still working fine!

And to say thanks for your good work too!

I have a K4NT that was jail broken and that had Duokan 2013 installed and upgraded to Duokan 2014. I want to get rid of the Duokan software and am going to give KO Reader a try.

I made a Live USB Stick using the download identified in post #1. I am using Mint Linux on a Lenovo T520 laptop and set up a SanDisk 8GB Cruzer USB flash drive as a Live USB Stick using the downloads and process identified in post #1 of this thread.

Mint Linux has an Accessory application named USB Image Writer that was used to make the bootable USB flash drive and I used that to make the bootable flash drive, then I copied the boot.iso image file for debricking K3, K4, and KT devices (also downloaded from post #1) onto the flash drive.

I booted from the flash drive and the Kubrick process unfolded and was pretty easy to follow. If there was a challenging step it was that of manipulating the neccessory Power and 4 Way buttons simultaneously as needed to get the K4NT into the Diagnostics mode. I need more hands and or skinnier fingers...

I followed the step by step instructions carefully, didn't make any choices until I was signalled that the Kindle is ready for it, and it was easy to step through the process. I let it re-write the Kindle 4 image and firmware (4.1.1) and also did the jail break again. Writing the image took a little over 4 minutes and the process went without any hitches and was finished less than 10 minutes.

When I disconnected the Kindle and re-booted the laptop I also powered the K4NT off and then back on again and all my books were still there and all traces of Duokan were gone from the startup process.

When I connected the kindle to the laptop all eight of the folders that had DK_ preceeding their names were still there. And they still contained data and subfolders in some cases and the DK system files.

I assume that I can now delete the DK_ folders, they take up about 127MB of space and if not needed I'll get rid of them.

So I am now back to a K4NT with a jail break. Next I'll install KUAL and then the KO Reader. I tried to install KUAL when I was installing Duokan 2013 but somehow messed up that part of the process and it did not get installed as I moved on to the Duokan install.

Are there any other candidates for software for managing and reading books with a K4?

Jack