Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
angelyne
Connoisseur
angelyne is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Issue with finding audiobook metadata on Amazon

I use Calibre to manage my audiobook collection. However, when I try to do a metadata lookup on Amazon, it almost never finds the audiobook version of the book even though the information is there. What I have been having to do is go amazon, do a manual search for the book, locate the ASIN number and manually enter it in the ID's box in the metadata lookup window. (i.e. Amazon: B004U8IHI0). Once I do that, it finds the correct edition of the book.

This works, but it's very time-consuming, as I have almost 1000 books to go through.
angelyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:37 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
are the books only avaialbale as audiobooks? calibre metadata retrieval is designed to prioritize text books over audio versions.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
angelyne
Connoisseur

Yes, there are other books available, but my focus is on audiobooks, which is exactly the reverse of the behavior you describe. Would there be a way to create a toggle switch to reverse the prioritization?

I think that audiobooks are getting more and more popular and it would be great if Calibre could be a little more audiobook friendly. I don't care about anything complicated to implement like a built-in reader or sync support or something like that. Just the ability to pull audiobook metadata would make very happy.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not something I am interested in personally, but it should be easy enough to modifythe amazon metadata plugin to prioritize audiobooks when processing results.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:22 AM   #5
angelyne
Connoisseur

I have no idea how to do that. Could you point me toward some resource that would explain?
Old 10-21-2018, 01:23 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

you would need to run calibre from aource and modify the amazon metadata plugin. See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html for how to run calibre form source, and look around line 1145 in amazon.py for where audiobooks are filtered out of results.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 10-21-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
angelyne
Connoisseur

Thanks, I'll take a look

Tags
amazon, audiobooks, metadata download