Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
Moudsie
Moudsie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle ebook 5th generation? Model 4.1.3
Question Confused

I have an older Kindle ereader and find a lot of the library books are not Kindle format--they are Axis 360 and Epub--so I downloaded the Calibre and tried to download an (several) Epub book--it didn't work--so what am I doing wrong--I made a folder -- a few bytes went into this folder but it's not the book--is my device too old? Am I doing it wrong? Help!
Moudsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Not sure if this is your problem, but when you download a book from OverDrive, the file it has you download is a .acsm file, not the book itself. You have to open this file (not save it to your drive), which then kicks off the download of the book itself.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
With Overdrive at our library there's an option to download a Kindle version - are you sure this isn't anywhere at your site?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moudsie View Post
I have an older Kindle ereader and find a lot of the library books are not Kindle format--they are Axis 360 and Epub--so I downloaded the Calibre and tried to download an (several) Epub book--it didn't work--so what am I doing wrong--I made a folder -- a few bytes went into this folder but it's not the book--is my device too old? Am I doing it wrong? Help!
You're going to have do use a multistep process. First is to install ADE (at this time, I'm still recommending the 2.0.1 version. See Adobe at Adobe Digital Editions to download the installer. You will then need an Adobe ID to allow downloading and opening DRM protected epub books -- if you don't already have one, check Manage your Adobe ID account for help on this. Once you get this up and running so the .acsm file sent to you by the library opens in ADE, you'll need to add the DeDRM plugin to calibre.

You should now be able to download an epub from the library, bring it into calibre with the DRM being removed and convert to mobi or AZW3 to be sent to your Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
With Overdrive at our library there's an option to download a Kindle version - are you sure this isn't anywhere at your site?
I know of no libraries outside the USA that support Kindle and not all of the libraries inside the USA. Looking at my membership in one American library, the number of epub books is about 30% higher than the number of Kindle format ebooks. Courtesy of the latest update to Overdrive, my local library has help information about Kindle. The comment from one of the administrators is that the cost of supporting Kindle format is quite a bit higher than their current costs so it isn't going to happen.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 PM   #5
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
The op was asking about Axis360, yet most of the answers are about Overdrive?

My local library has Overdrive, Hoopla and Axis360.
Overdrive is so easy to use with Kindle, that I've never really figured out Axis360.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
The op was asking about Axis360, yet most of the answers are about Overdrive?

My local library has Overdrive, Hoopla and Axis360.
Overdrive is so easy to use with Kindle, that I've never really figured out Axis360.
My bad. The digital libraries I've dealt with only had Overdrive; I didn't realize Axis360 was an alternative digital distribution service. Bowing out now....
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moudsie View Post
Provided your library has enabled ePub/PDF borrowing you need to use Adobe Digital Editions to download them. More info can be found here...
https://bakerandtaylor.force.com/axi...gital-Editions

If they have not enabled ePub/PDF borrowing/downloading then books must be read using the Axis 360 mobile/tablet/desktop apps (or I think the also have a web viewer).

Axis 360 books are not available in Kindle formats (although they do have an app for the Amazon Fire's).

You can see the Axis 360/Baker & Taylor compatibility matrix as a PDF here...
https://bakerandtaylor.force.com/axi...hment__Body__s

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-21-2017 at 04:16 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You cannot read Axis360 eBooks on a Kobo, Kindle, nook, or Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot read Axis360 eBooks on a Kobo, Kindle, nook, or Sony.
If ePub/PDF downloading is enabled so the books can be downloaded via ADE you absolutely can sideload them and read them via a Kobo, Nook or Sony.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #10
Moudsie
Moudsie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle ebook 5th generation? Model 4.1.3
Thanks everyone--some of the books are in Overdrive format--some aren't--most are epub and axis 360 and some for the kindle--so it's a catch 22 I guess--hoping the ones I want are in kindle format--otherwise I go to Abebooks and buy used ones for less than half of what Amazon wants for a download!
Moudsie is offline   Reply With Quote