Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
bluesnews
Enthusiast
bluesnews began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Mendeley in Onyx

I’m thinking about jumping ship from Sony dpt-rp1 to onyx Boox Max 2 or note. Does mendeley work well and is it quick to highlight?
bluesnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:42 AM   #2
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Probably the appropriate question is: Is Mendeley built with any consideration to eink?

From a review in Google Play: "Onyx note boox, this app does not let me annotate"

Last edited by mobama; 10-20-2018 at 04:46 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:50 AM   #3
EmilThelonius
Enthusiast
EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT-RP1 and Pocketbook Touch Lux 2 and Basic
What are your reasons to change from Sony to Onyx? I assume that you work in academia, because you use mendeley?
As far as the experiences show here in the forum and on youtube: other apps then the build in apps from onyx tend to be a lot slower, and are not that stable – but I might be mistaken in the case of mendeley. I do not own an onyx so I cannot try it.
But as an academic I really like the stability and workflow of the Sony rp1. Even more with the mobile app. So I have mendeley on my mobile device and when I want to read something, I simply send it to the rp1. As I have my mobile phone always with me, it is a matter of seconds. So I would be interested in your reasons considering a change
EmilThelonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
xoanohn
Connoisseur
xoanohn doesn't litterxoanohn doesn't litter

Device: Aura One, Aura, H2O, ipad pro 12.9 (2015 and 2017), PRS-T1, PRS-505
I find the Sony to be very cumbersome when synching

I use mendeley as a citation manager and have it organized in folders by author’s name and the file names are author-year-title.

Because Mendeley doesn’t import highlights and notes from Sony (or any other external tools), I have Mendeley’s library saved on Dropbox and then have it as a synched folder in Sony App.

So far dropbox has been the only way I’ve found that syncs highlights with my iPhone, iPad, iMac at work, MacBook at home. I mainly read, highlight and take (very few) notes on the Sony.

Few problems -

I have more than 700 articles. The way it is structured, if I have to go an author whose name starts with S, I have to tap 46 times on the Sony to get to the correct folder because the folder view on the device only allows me to advance 1 page at a time.

Because I am not in Japan or the US, I don’t have access to the iOS mobile app. Currently, the reader is synched to my MacBook Pro, so if I forget my it or when I am in the office, I have no way to sync the files.

I mostly highlight and don’t really take notes. When I do, it is only a few words at a time. Even with that, I’ve gone through 11 nibs and two styluses in the past 8 months. I had to replace the stylus because the nib broke inside it. Of course, the nibs are horrendously expensive; they rub down really quickly even when I rotate the stylus when highlighting to minimize the wear.

Synching takes forever. It takes good 5 minutes to sync 1 or 2 files.

That’s why I was wondering if Boox works with mendeley. If it doesn’t, I need a lightweight PDF highlighting app that syncs with a dropbox folder like pdfexpert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilThelonius View Post
What are your reasons to change from Sony to Onyx? I assume that you work in academia, because you use mendeley?
As far as the experiences show here in the forum and on youtube: other apps then the build in apps from onyx tend to be a lot slower, and are not that stable – but I might be mistaken in the case of mendeley. I do not own an onyx so I cannot try it.
But as an academic I really like the stability and workflow of the Sony rp1. Even more with the mobile app. So I have mendeley on my mobile device and when I want to read something, I simply send it to the rp1. As I have my mobile phone always with me, it is a matter of seconds. So I would be interested in your reasons considering a change
xoanohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
EmilThelonius
Enthusiast
EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.

Thank you for shedding detailed light on your reasons! It is interesting, because I have got a whole different experience with the device. I think the main reason is that I use the rp1 just for the text I am actually reading right at that moment: I do not store any papers on the device I don't need – because I have them on my phone and can print them on the dpt whenever I want to read them.
As I live in Germany and got the mobile app, there is an easy way to get it in iOS. You just have to change your country one time, grab the app, change it back and the app works really well. Here is a detailed description: https://www.imore.com/how-change-cou...iphone-or-ipad
At the moment I have the device for two month and I am writing everyday reading about 2-3 papers a day, annotating and notes, plus using a calendar on the device. And I wore down about one half of my first nib (a pencil one). So I am confident that it will work out for me.
As this is not the right forum these are just my two cents on the rp1 – hopefully the onyx devices work better for your workflow!
Old 10-24-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Maybe a little bit off-topic. I think Paperlike would be a nice replacement for Mandeley. For example, it can automatically organise articles in different folders alphabetically instead of in one folder so searching for articles wouldn't need you to press the button 46 times. I sync hundreds of academic articles in my Sony DPT RP1 with ease. It also have many other functions like the in-text citation.

The only disadvantage is that currently it only supports google docs and google drive. The word version is still being worked.

Last edited by JS_F; 10-24-2018 at 11:13 AM.
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
EmilThelonius
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS_F View Post
Maybe a little bit off-topic. I think Paperlike would be a nice replacement for Mandeley. For example, it can automatically organise articles in different folders alphabetically instead of in one folder so searching for articles wouldn't need you to press the button 46 times. I sync hundreds of academic articles in my Sony DPT RP1 with ease. It also have many other functions like the in-text citation.

The only disadvantage is that currently it only supports google docs and google drive. The word version is still being worked.
Could You provide a Link? I cannot find any information on a app called Paperlike...
Old 10-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilThelonius View Post
Could You provide a Link? I cannot find any information on a app called Paperlike...
Sure. It's no app. It's just a website https://paperpile.com/app. I think you need a chrome-based browser in order to use this website and the extension.
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote