Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-28-2016, 06:01 AM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I've never used radio buttons, I good way to learn to use them Anyway, would you want the path in another field or inside the filename field?
@Terisa de morgan - no extra column for me thanks, just put the file name or full path into the file name column according to the radio button setting.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #17
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anyway, would you want the path in another field or inside the filename field?
Since you're considering adding this feature (and I don't mind taking my chances with temp directories), I vote for putting it in a separate column. (Sorry, BetterRed) To me it makes more sense to keep the pieces of data atomic. It's easier to merge fields than to split them.

Also, as I mentioned before, an option to convert the path separators to periods would be nice. That way, if you set the field as hierarchical, you can walk the path with the Tag Browser.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #18
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
@fidvo, I have to think about which option to use (merge and split are both similar easy). And changing of characters? No, that is an option I'm not going to put, I think it doesn't make sense in the plugin.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Terisa de Morgan - I would not use a sliced and diced path, or even a shredded one, nor even one that's been camelCased, Reverse Polished, or noted in Hungarian -- or all of the above I already have a simple process for involving a few keystrokes for cutting and pasting the full path into my file name column when I add books. As I said earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
... whatever is easiest for you, including nothing, will do
@fidvo - no apologies necessary for butchering my idea and turning something simple into something complex that won't fulfil my needs, but I will remind you of what you wrote earlier in this thread:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
... and I might make a custom version for myself with some more file types in it... but I'm quite happy with the plugin.
BR
Old 09-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #20
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@fidvo, I have to think about which option to use (merge and split are both similar easy). And changing of characters? No, that is an option I'm not going to put, I think it doesn't make sense in the plugin.
Fair enough. That's easily accomplished with a saved search and replace after importing the books. It's an extra step, but it will still save me time over typing the path in manually.

As for the merge vs. split, you could always do what you're doing with the file extension. Include a field in the setup to store the path field. If it's filled in, split the path and the file name. If not, combine them. This would give both BR and me what we want, plus it would have consistent behavior with the other fields in the setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@fidvo - no apologies necessary for butchering my idea and turning something simple into something complex that won't fulfil my needs, but I will remind you of what you wrote earlier in this thread:-

BR
Heh heh heh! And if you look back further, you'll see that your idea was originally my idea, including all that complexity I mentioned, and more. (To be fair, this was kind of a "wish list" and I didn't really expect it all to be implemented)

But you're right; I did say I would probably make a custom version of the plugin for myself to add the new file types. But that's trivial; it's just a single-line list. Changing the behavior is more complicated.

Still, I'll probably do it if that's what it takes. If I'm feeling particularly ambitious I might even attempt to implement all the features on my wish list. I don't think the coding will be all that hard, but the closer the original plugin comes to my ideal, the better it serves as a template to work from.
Advert
Old 10-04-2016, 02:55 AM   #21
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've updated the plugin and I've included the two options:
  • Radio button to select with or without path
  • Aditional column to store the path in a separate field, if selected

I think it's finished now, I cannot imagine another option.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:24 AM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Terisa de Morgan - perfect

I can use the memory it's freed up on my TIFFanise project

BR
Old 10-04-2016, 05:46 AM   #23
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But you're right; I did say I would probably make a custom version of the plugin for myself to add the new file types. But that's trivial; it's just a single-line list. Changing the behavior is more complicated.
What file types? There's no such a concept as file type in the plugin.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #24
fidvo
Addict

Quote:
What file types? There's no such a concept as file type in the plugin.
I was referring to line 50 in __init__.py in the plugin zip file. Am I wrong in thinking this limits the file types that the plugin operates on? Admittedly my knowledge of Python in general and Calibre plugins specifically is limited.

Anyway, I just installed the new version of the plugin, and I just have to say:

Old 10-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #25
fidvo
Addict

Quote:
I was referring to line 50 in __init__.py in the plugin zip file. Am I wrong in thinking this limits the file types that the plugin operates on? Admittedly my knowledge of Python in general and Calibre plugins specifically is limited.

Anyway, I just installed the new version of the plugin, and I just have to say:

Never mind. I just tested it with a file type not on that list, and it works fine. Apparently the plugin ignores that list, which is good because it means it will work on all file types.

If I'm feeling particularly ambitious I might try to implement my wish list items on my own copy of the plugin, but as of right now I'm very pleased with it.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:11 AM   #26
iDron
Banned
iDron began at the beginning.

I not understand how to use this plugin. Please explain me. Show same screenshots with settings. Thank you!
iDron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:22 AM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@iDron - I suggest the following steps

First open the plugins configuration screen and hover the mouse over the each of the field titles - that will give you a good idea of what the options are and what custom columns you might need to create:-

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	152570

Now create the custom columns you want, I only want the full path, so I define one custom column, thus

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	152567

Now go back to the plugin configuration and plug in the column name where the file name, in my case the full path, will be stored

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	152568

Now when I add a book its path will stored in the column I created

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	653
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	152571

BR
Old 10-24-2016, 04:42 AM   #28
iDron
Banned
iDron began at the beginning.

BetterRed, thank you for help! I need in function for saved file names before converting of my eBooks and after conversion I want have the same names of files. It is possible with this plugin?
iDron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:20 AM   #29
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

I don't think so. You can store the names but, unless you save the files to disk and use the store name in the template, inside calibre no, they have their own names.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:16 AM   #30
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDron View Post
BetterRed, thank you for help! I need in function for saved file names before converting of my eBooks and after conversion I want have the same names of files. It is possible with this plugin?
No - the plugin is primarily used an aide-mémoire, in my case the file path can indicate the source of the 'book' - Yale Law, Brookings, ECB, McKinsey's etc. Some people have file names which are the vendor SKU identifiers.

As Terisa de Morgan suggests you could use it in a Save to Disk Template.

BR

Tags
calibredb, calibredb metadata import, plugin