Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Dear e-reader, I think it's time we saw other people.

Dear Kingsley (that's what I've named all my e-readers),

I think it's time we saw other people. We had a great run with each other, we really did - but, like so many couples, we've fallen out of love. I used to love the way you would make a 2,000 word book appear weightless in my hands, the way your leather cover was so sleek and elegant. I loved the way you had a little reading lamp with you all of the time. We had so many great times together, when I couldn't decide what to read and you gave me hundreds of options. You've been a magnificent companion, a brilliant friend, better than any I could have asked for, but eventually your flaws began to grate on me...

You've always felt like a gadget - I loved that at first, because you gave me "new toy fever", but it's grown old over the months. I don't want to be tethered to gadgets when I read. You don't feel like paper; I don't have a tactile experience with you, and you don't smell as good. I've always worried about using you at the beach or in the tub, and I've never been a fan of glad bags - it makes you even less tactilely appealing. Even when you learned how to display book covers, I never felt as though I was gazing upon a beautiful collection of books - not in the same way that I feel when I'm looking at my book case. You made me forgetful of what I wanted to read next, you made me feel lost, overwhelmed.

I feel ashamed to tell you that I've been cheating on you with the bookstore. I never meant to hurt you, and I truly didn't think we'd ever fall out of love, but I bought a paper book, and I went to a coffee shop. I think you've been suspicious ever since I didn't take you out of my purse that day at the coffee shop, haven't you? It was because I was reading on paper. I'm sorry, Kingsley. The experience I've been having with my paper books has been one that you had made me totally forget - and it's so good that you made me forget the past, but sometimes we relive it for a reason.

I know that you'll find love again. I know that there are hundreds, thousands of others out there who don't view these "flaws" as flaws at all - but rather as perfections. I'm sorry that I need to do this, but we really do need to see other people. I hope you can forgive me for putting you on ebay. Rest assured, when the time comes to ship you to your new lover, I'll package you with care. I really, truly never meant to hurt you.

Apologetically yours,

Miss Kittiness, cruel lover
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My ereader and I have an "open" relationship. In fact, I often read paper books while the ereader sleeps on the table next to my left arm. I have some needs that my ereader just can't fulfill. And, to be honest, sometimes it's just a matter of convenience -- I know that reflects poorly on me.

Still, I always come back. And my ereader always takes me back.

We believe that as long as we're honest with each other we'll stay together.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You two must have a much healthier relationship than Kingsley and I. I applaud your ability to work with each other to reach something that makes you both happy! I just couldn't do it.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
I think any 2,000 word book would seem weightless--unless it had lots and lots of pictures.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've taken my old 505 to the beach. No problems, no baggies. Never did the tub thing because I just get in, shower, get out, dry off, and I'm ready to read.

With my Reader, no paper cuts, no mold, no smell of musty paper and if you have to have a smell, get a nice leather case that smells nice. No ink from the book getting on your hands, no problem if the font is too small. No running around in circles screaming because you've just finished the book you were reading and you no longer have a book handy to read. You see, paper books can have many more flaws then your Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've taken my old 505 to the beach. No problems, no baggies. Never did the tub thing because I just get in, shower, get out, dry off, and I'm ready to read.

With my Reader, no paper cuts, no mold, no smell of musty paper and if you have to have a smell, get a nice leather case that smells nice. No ink from the book getting on your hands, no problem if the font is too small. No running around in circles screaming because you've just finished the book you were reading and you no longer have a book handy to read. You see, paper books can have many more flaws then your Reader.
Plus ebooks are quick to arrive in comparison to pbooks that are slow to arrive. Just a couple clicks of the mouse.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #7
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!

Both examples of people who are great with ereaders - far better than I am.

Quote:
I think any 2,000 word book would seem weightless--unless it had lots and lots of pictures.
An obvious typo with no need to pick at it, friend.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:17 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
What? I'm not posting here for a few months and people start cheating on their e-readers?

Well, my ereaders know that I cannot stick to only one device for reading. They all know about each other...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
What? I'm not posting here for a few months and people start cheating on their e-readers?

Well, my ereaders know that I cannot stick to only one device for reading. They all know about each other...
You see what happens when you're not here to monitor things?!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #10
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My ereader thanks me for nor subjecting her to minus thirty temperatures when I ride the bus during the winter.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:07 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
My ereader thanks me for nor subjecting her to minus thirty temperatures when I ride the bus during the winter.
I'd complain to the driver if the temps in the bus are below freezing!

But in those conditions (mind you, we don't have a lot of freezing temps here, but still), my reader stays safely in my bag and I'm wearing earplugs to listen to my audiobooks. I can keep my hands in my pocket then
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #12
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
My dear Pocketbook even forgave me having another reader for the evenings in the bedroom, so you might reconsider selling it and just put it away for later use.
I'm sure it will understand
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote