Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-25-2018, 02:02 AM   #1
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Sideloaded Epubs on Forma

I don’t know what I’ve done but something has gotten messed up.

I ordered a new Kobo Forma and updated to the latest Calibre version in preparation for it. When I got the Forma I updated it as well. Then I sideloaded a bunch of epubs from Calibre.

The books all show up with extra page numbers in the middle of the side margins. I remember having this problem several years ago but I don’t remember what the fix was.

I already had many of the same books on other Kobo ereaders and they look fine. However, I just loaded a couple of the same books to one of my other Kobo ereaders (Clara) that didn’t already have those particular books and they also showed up with the extra page numbers, and also insanely large text. I adjusted the text to normal size but now when I open books that were already on the Clara the text is tiny.

Is it obvious what I’ve done to mess things up?
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:45 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The numbers in the margin is a setting on the device. In the Reading Setting page, uncheck the "Show Adobe EPUB page numbers" option. By default, it is on, so you must have unchecked it on the Clara HD.

But, the difference in font sizes suggests you have disabled or removed the KoboTouchExtended driver. Using that would have sent the books as kepubs. The font scaling is different for kepubs than epubs. For the same setting, the font in a kepub will appear smaller than in an epub. Plus, kepubs never show the page number in the margins.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, the difference in font sizes suggests you have disabled or removed the KoboTouchExtended driver.
You're right. It's gone. I don't know when or how I could have removed it. Must have been in my sleep.

EDIT
I originally posted that I got an error message when I tried to reinstall the plugin but I restarted Calibre and then it allowed me to reinstall it. Now I'll try resending my books.

EDIT

Clara and Forma both doing well now.

Last edited by disconnected; 10-25-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: user error, apparently
Old 10-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The font scaling is different for kepubs than epubs. For the same setting, the font in a kepub will appear smaller than in an epub.
Point of order ... as far as I can tell this epub/kepub font-size discrepancy doesn't exist on the Forma or the KA1. It does exist on every other Kobo model I've owned, including the ClaraHD, which is newer than the KA1.

FWIW I "cure" it using the calibre driver's Modify CSS option with the kobo_extra.css file on the devices that need it. I suppose it's only an issue for those who regularly read both kepub and epub on the same device.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

FWIW I "cure" it using the calibre driver's Modify CSS option with the kobo_extra.css file on the devices that need it. .
? is that a file you made yourself, or something downloadable from another thread , or already in calibre ?
is that you would use that AND the kobo extended driver plug in thing or is it and either/or
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
disconnected
Fanatic

Quote:
Point of order ... as far as I can tell this epub/kepub font-size discrepancy doesn't exist on the Forma or the KA1. It does exist on every other Kobo model I've owned, including the ClaraHD, which is newer than the KA1.

FWIW I "cure" it using the calibre driver's Modify CSS option with the kobo_extra.css file on the devices that need it. I suppose it's only an issue for those who regularly read both kepub and epub on the same device.
I guess I'd never seen the issue before because I'd never intended to use both formats. At least now I know why I needed the KoboExtendedTouch plugin in the first place, so it's been a learning experience.

I'm not sure I'm quite ready for the Modify CSS learning experience yet but it may happen sometime. Thank goodness for this forum; I don't think I'd be able to manage to use Calibre at all without it.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
? is that a file you made yourself, or something downloadable from another thread , or already in calibre ?
is that you would use that AND the kobo extended driver plug in thing or is it and either/or
Yes, it's just a simple text file called kobo_extra.css which you create yourself in the root directory of the Kobo. Then you can stuff it with any CSS you think might "assist" your epubs/kepubs. Any CSS you add will be appended to the end of each book's internal CSS file(s) during the calibre send-to-device.

You can read more about it here. It works the same with either the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended calibre drivers.

I think KTE does have an extra option to store a set of these files on your PC so different versions can be copied to different Kobo models, but I don't use this option myself. I'm happy doing my own one-off copying of the file to the root directory.

There is an easy trick to allow you to add CSS which will affect your kepub styling but not (99.9999% of the time) your epub styling.

Caveat: There's no "magic" at play here. All the normal rules/limitations of CSS inheritance and order will apply.

If you decide to try it out and need specific help, feel free to come back and ask more detailed questions.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok thanks, I think I have that already on my kobo. From a much older thread.( I say "my kobo" but my son has had it on loan for so long it feels like its his)
I somehow misread your post and thought you were adding something to each book, using calibre add extra css at conversion function. Not using a one off add a file to device root folder
Old 10-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ok thanks, I think I have that already on my kobo. From a much older thread.( I say "my kobo" but my son has had it on loan for so long it feels like its his)
I somehow misread your post and thought you were adding something to each book, using calibre add extra css at conversion function. Not using a one off add a file to device root folder
Ah, no. The master epub in calibre remains untouched. Only the epub/kepub on the device gets the extra CSS.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
stumped
Wizard

It is a long long time ago since I set my on device file up, and the idea may have come form an old post of yours. I think that all my file does is take out some of the header and footer whitespace from sideloaded books, by setting explicit top and bottom margins?

But I also discovered the driver or plug-in that converts each epub to a kepub just before sending it to the kobo, and use that for all books,so I don't know if doing that makes the other tweak redundant.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But I also discovered the driver or plug-in that converts each epub to a kepub just before sending it to the kobo, and use that for all books,so I don't know if doing that makes the other tweak redundant.
As long as your KTE driver still has the Modify CSS option checked then any CSS in the kobo_extra.css file will still be added into each kepub as it is transferred.

Whether it is still doing anything useful is another issue It will depend on what CSS you have in there. For instance, I think the kepub renderer ignores @page and widows/orphans CSS. However, if you have a CSS line in there to boost the font-size for kepubs (but not epubs) then that may still be useful on some models (e.g. ClaraHD, H2O) ... which is where this original discussion began ...
Old 10-25-2018, 07:31 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I thought of that while writing the post, but, I didn't want to complicate things
Quote:
I think KTE does have an extra option to store a set of these files on your PC so different versions can be copied to different Kobo models, but I don't use this option myself. I'm happy doing my own one-off copying of the file to the root directory.
Correct. The advantage/disadvantage is that if you have more than one of the same device, you have exactly the same file on both.
Quote:
It is a long long time ago since I set my on device file up, and the idea may have come form an old post of yours. I think that all my file does is take out some of the header and footer whitespace from sideloaded books, by setting explicit top and bottom margins?
That is very likely as the code in the driver is based on code from @jackie_w.
Quote:
Whether it is still doing anything useful is another issue It will depend on what CSS you have in there. For instance, I think the kepub renderer ignores @page and widows/orphans CSS.
It definitely ignores the widows and orphans. I think it ignores @page, but I strip them out when I edit my books, so I don't see them on the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:36 AM   #13
stumped
Wizard

i checked my PC to see if I had a saved copy of the extra CSS file that is on my Kobo and found this kobo_extra.css

( line 3 is because I dont like hyphenation, and I vaguely recall experimenting with the margin top value before settling on 12pts)

@page {margin-top: 12pt; margin-bottom: 0:}
body { orphans: 1; widows: 1; }
body {adobe-hyphenate: none;}