Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #16
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Yeah, so I'll ruin another classic by recommending it here: Random Harvest, by James Hilton.
I don't know what it is about this book, but it's my all time favourite. I can recite the first chapter.

Off to read it for the umpteenth time...
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
There's also The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope, which is OK, and the great The Henchmen of Zenda by KJ Charles, which tells the story as it really happened
I'm going to bite on Henchmen. Thanks!
I've just started this and it's tremendous fun. Great recommendation. I think any fan of Zenda and its ilk would like it (but you need to read Zenda first, if you haven't).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've just started this and it's tremendous fun. Great recommendation. I think any fan of Zenda and its ilk would like it (but you need to read Zenda first, if you haven't).
I'll bite. Big Zenda-ite (Zendorian, Zendaphile, Zendovian?), here.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #19
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00n2003 View Post
I mean with a hero who has a secret identity like: Zorro, Scarlet pimpernel and so on.....
This may stretch both your ideas of "hero" and "secret identity", but I much enjoyed the Scepter'd Isle series by Mercedes Lackey and Roberta Gellis. The books in the series are set during the lifetime of Queen Elizabeth I and presuppose a world of elves and such that exists alongside our own. The hero of the first book is an elf playing the role of a minor human noble while protecting members of Elizabeth's family. He's still a main character in the later novels, but "hero" becomes much more of a group effort.

The books are available from the Invasion Baen CD.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:39 AM   #20
n00n2003
n00n2003 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
This may stretch both your ideas of "hero" and "secret identity", but I much enjoyed the Scepter'd Isle series by Mercedes Lackey and Roberta Gellis. The books in the series are set during the lifetime of Queen Elizabeth I and presuppose a world of elves and such that exists alongside our own. The hero of the first book is an elf playing the role of a minor human noble while protecting members of Elizabeth's family. He's still a main character in the later novels, but "hero" becomes much more of a group effort.

The books are available from the Invasion Baen CD.
Thank you
n00n2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #21
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Perhaps the Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch might be of interest to you. I recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora. It's more of a secret group, but it's still an entertaining story.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #22
n00n2003
n00n2003 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Perhaps the Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch might be of interest to you. I recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora. It's more of a secret group, but it's still an entertaining story.
Thank you
n00n2003 is offline   Reply With Quote