Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-20-2014, 02:25 AM   #31
PeterShow
Enthusiast
PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Sony Reader T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
I guess with an update to the actual version. The Editor is part of Calibre.
http://calibre-ebook.com/download

I would suggest that he is already running a actual version of Calibre. Or are there some fake version?

Maybe you mean he should use a more recent version.

Last edited by PeterShow; 03-20-2014 at 02:27 AM.
PeterShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:54 AM   #32
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
If you read Greg’s posts, he told yesterday that he was on Version 1.0. Kovid introduced the Editor for all users with Version 1.15 (and the first test- and beta versions a couple of weeks before).

He had no fake version. It is quite normal, that there are sometimes huge differences in the meaning of actual Versions for Linux distribution packages. This is why I mention to look for the actual version. For me there was no other explanation for a missing Editor.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2014, 04:05 AM   #33
PeterShow
Enthusiast
PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Sony Reader T3
You should use a dictionary to read the actual meaning of the word actual.
PeterShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #34
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I open a Blank Txt file
I past the Calibre comand line into it
I save as getCalibre.sh
I right click on the file: Properties: permissions: tick 'Allow to execute..'

Now when I double click the Icon, I get asked if I want to run in a Terminal (click Yes)

(this is just a local copy so you don't have to always open the web page

BTW the permissions bit is just a GUI way of adding the x bit instead of using chmod
ducks, Thanks but why would I want to do all you suggest when I can just put the binary command in the terminal and have Calibre in my Applications menu? Your way seems like a lot of work and I don't know what the benefit would be.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #35
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
This is the recommended method and will work fine.
Thanks Doctor. I'll probably do just this but first I'll see what theducks reasoning is. Appreciate it.
Advert
Old 03-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #36
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

at least I know who Miriam Ruiz is now (lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The name of the person listed as the maintainer for the Software Center version of calibre.

Basically, the auto-update I suggested earlier, but this one is manual.

On that note, if you'd like to try it again, here is an updated upgrade script, and this should download it and install it in the right location:
Code:
sudo wget -O /tmp/calibre.tar.gz https://www.mobileread.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120506&d=1395295772
Code:
sudo tar -xzf /tmp/calibre.tar.gz -C /usr/
Then use this:
Code:
sudo EDITOR="gedit" crontab -e
to edit crontab, and add the at the end:

Code:
0 6 * * 5 /usr/bin/calibre-upgrade.sh > /dev/null 2>&1
It's really something everybody should know. Hey, I may attempt this once I get Calibre! So far I've just removed the old Calibre 1.0 from the Ubuntu Software Center. (That was a task I could handle--'click the 'remove' button.') And do I really need the auto-updater? On my other computer Calibre is always telling me there's a new version available.

And speaking of Calibre. (In the Gregg's Adventures thread). Some comments were made about Amazon not liking files made with Calibre. But that was just with Calibre being used to make the .mobi (or dual .mobi), right? (As opposed to making the mobi via Kindlegen.) I mean, I could use Calibre to convert my .odt to .epub without Amazon complaining, right?
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
ducks, Thanks but why would I want to do all you suggest when I can just put the binary command in the terminal and have Calibre in my Applications menu? Your way seems like a lot of work and I don't know what the benefit would be.
You do this one TIME! Then the task is shorter

No Auto anything firing off when you are in the middle of something.
You choose to click the shortcut. On your Schedule. Or Not.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #38
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

I'll try it. Geez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You do this one TIME! Then the task is shorter

No Auto anything firing off when you are in the middle of something.
You choose to click the shortcut. On your Schedule. Or Not.
It's just hard to understand (I don't know what "Auto anything firing" means. Although yes, I probably wouldn't like it if it was auto anything firing while I was in the middle of something.) how anything can be too much shorter than two clicks (one to open the Applications menu, the other clicking Calibre), but I will trust you! (Just this once.)
Old 03-21-2014, 01:34 AM   #39
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
It's just hard to understand (I don't know what "Auto anything firing" means. Although yes, I probably wouldn't like it if it was auto anything firing while I was in the middle of something.) how anything can be too much shorter than two clicks (one to open the Applications menu, the other clicking Calibre), but I will trust you! (Just this once.)
No, this is for running the update script.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #40
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

OMG! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
No, this is for running the update script.
You saved me just split seconds before the train ran over me!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #41
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

I now have Calibre 1.29 and Calibre Edit-ebook and in seperate places in my Applications menu like I wanted. Thanks all!