Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
Kobo Aura HD experience

Recently I got an Kobo Aura HD and I must say, I really love the screen resolution and the front light.

But I encountered also some quirks...

When playing the Chess application for the first time, I had moved a Pawn 2 steps next to a computer player's one, and the computer moved his pawn diagonally under mine and removed my pawn from the board. This was my first game of Chess and it became obvious that's not correct.

With the reading, sometimes at the start of a new chapter the reader sets the font size larger. To resolve this I have to reset the font size, but it happening is quite annoying.

For the rest it is the best eReader I have so far!
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN View Post
When playing the Chess application for the first time, I had moved a Pawn 2 steps next to a computer player's one, and the computer moved his pawn diagonally under mine and removed my pawn from the board. This was my first game of Chess and it became obvious that's not correct.
Yes, that's a legal move.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
This brings back of memories of my chess beginnings.

I was eight year old, with a chess board playing against myself and studying Jose Capablanca's games form an old book I found.

My excitement on every new game I played is still in my mind. These days I fall asleep during chess games The computer monster beats me every time anyways
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There are two additional reading programs you can add to your existing Kobo provided reading programs. These are still in the development process but are almost finished and
quite usable. There is an easy install program that will place older versions of both readers (CoolReader and KoReader) along with a Launcher program that has games and utilities. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1263_KO529.zip

You will want to download the current versions from:http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/index.html
and:http://code.google.com/p/koreader-pa...downloads/list

The KoReader is the more mature port and started life as an improved PDF viewer for Kindles. Be sure and download the nightly build with "kobo" in its name.

Be sure to follow the instructions in the AltReader zip and make sure that the .png image files get processed by the Kobo software (Nickel) so that the launching tiles are on your home page. Then reconnect to your PC and complete the install by copying the KoboRoot.tgz file to the .kobo folder.
The "Main" folder is the one that opens when you select the KOBOreader drive that will appear on your PC when you "Connect" with your USB cable.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
dclauzel
Enthusiast
dclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN View Post
La prise en passant is a perfectly correct move, but not often encountered.

For me, the problem is that the chess software force you to promote your pawn to a queen: you are suppose to choose the piece that you want (except for a king). Sometimes, a knight is a far better choice.

Quote:
With the reading, sometimes at the start of a new chapter the reader sets the font size larger. To resolve this I have to reset the font size, but it happening is quite annoying.
Couldn't it be a stylish effect define by the book, like the small capitals on the first line of a chapter, or a lettrine? If yes, the reader is just following the book's layout instructions. Try to open the book into another reader, and compare the result.
dclauzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclauzel View Post
Couldn't it be a stylish effect define by the book, like the small capitals on the first line of a chapter, or a lettrine? If yes, the reader is just following the book's layout instructions. Try to open the book into another reader, and compare the result.
This is a glitch that shows up every so often where on opening a new chapter, the font size increases. It's not a style choice since it is not reproducible. For myself, I've only seen it happen with epub books and not with kepubs.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
Thanks for the Chess education. It's one move I probably never encountered before.. and never used myself. Well I learned something today.

About the Glitch, indeed it's not a style choice.

My itself it's a great reader. Although the extra screensize is a bit wasted on the bottom margin displaying the page number. I also seen screenshots where the top margin constantly shows the book-title.

Thanks also for the additional reading software but am unsure at this point to try it out.
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote