Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #1351
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian666 View Post
Hi
Where do I get "Order your adapter if you don't have one already"
How do you find the "Where do I start" forum thread?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #1352
DarthSmeg
DarthSmeg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
And my Kindle Touch is back!

My kindle was borked this weekend, probably after getting a corrupt bookfile on it. After attempting to restart the Kindle from the settings menu, it stopped at the boy-and-tree picture and never started completely.

I tried the Kubric solution, but once I got to the step where my Kindle was supposed to reboot into Diagnosttic mode, it no longer worked. My Kindle did reboot, but just kept displaying the boy-and-tree picture.

After much trial and error I finally got it all working again. Probably needed the exact right combo of image files on the various partitions as well as a kick in the charge-port.

Either way, some tips to those who maintain the guides:

* Some download links in the n00b guide no longer work (specifically those that point to gitbrew.org)

* Some info in the "Select boot" thread is incorrect (I've seen this pointed out and answered in a thread somewhere, but I can attest that it still causes confusion):
After unzipping the MfgTool into a folder of your choice, delete the folders from inside the Profiles folder, and copy the folders from inside the Kindle_bootmode.zip file into Profiles folder inside the MfgTool folder.

* An overview of the various states/modes a Kindle can be in, and what works when, would be helpful. It took a little time to understand that I needed one tool (imx_usb) to set the device in to fastboot mode, and then the fastboot tool to set it do diags mode. And that lsusb willl show different IDs depending on the mode it is in.

* I saw several posts which said I needed to install "matching diags kerne". While I understood the principle, it was not obvious which versions "match", as I could not find a "complete set" anywhere. The images on http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images.php combine 5.0.0 with 5.0.1 and the 5.1.2 set doesn't have a diags_kernel as far as I can see. A definite "use exactly these files" would be useful (and is what the n00b guide tries to do, but that does't help when some of the links don't work).

Anyway, I got it working thanks to all the info you fine folk have collected, so thank you! You saved me about $120
DarthSmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #1353
ludviktom
ludviktom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5)
Hey guys, I need your help.

My old kindle touch one day froze at the ad page. And when I plug it into PC it was recognized as "NS BLANK CODEX". And when I connect it to the charger, orange light turned off after few seconds. I thought it was dead battery, because when I disassembly kindle, remove battery and measure the voltage it shows 2,2 V after night on AC charger. So I bought new battery and install it into my kindle. I tried to hold power button for one minute to restart kindle but it does nothing.

So I tried to debrick the kindle with KUBRICK live CD but it hangs on "waiting for device" when flashing fastboot. I tried method with Mfg tool in windows XP, and it write operation comlete after flashing fastboot.bin, but then nothing happened - hardware ID doesn't change.

I need some advice what to try please. Can be method with imx_usb_loader in linux more succesful?

Thank you for answer!
ludviktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #1354
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You now have a used K5 screen and a slightly used battery for sale.

Your battery must have not had the energy storage capacity required to do one of the Special Offers Ad updates and the flash chip died as a result.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #1355
ludviktom

Thank you for answer - bad news from you :-( How is that possible, that weak battery can cause damage of motherboard?
Old 01-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #1356
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludviktom View Post
Thank you for answer - bad news from you :-( How is that possible, that weak battery can cause damage of motherboard?
FGA - Post #3
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=3
Old 01-27-2016, 03:05 PM   #1357
ludviktom

It seems that flash chip is really dead, because mfg tools, kubrick and imx_usb_loader do nothing with kindle touch. I still see ad screen "Please ensure your Kindle is registered and connect wirelessly to receive the latest Special Offers.".
My last question is if serial cable can help or dead flash chip means that kindle is ready to throw away?
Old 01-27-2016, 03:38 PM   #1358
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
It seems that flash chip is really dead, because mfg tools, kubrick and imx_usb_loader do nothing with kindle touch. I still see ad screen "Please ensure your Kindle is registered and connect wirelessly to receive the latest Special Offers.".
My last question is if serial cable can help or dead flash chip means that kindle is ready to throw away?
As I posted above, the Kindle is ready to be sold as spare parts.

It is not practical to replace the flash chip (unless you have access to a university electronics lab - repair services will otherwise cost you more than a new Kindle would).
Old 01-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #1359
ludviktom

I study at CTU in Prague so I have access to university electronics lab and I have some friends there. I just need to know where is the chip located on the motherboard and where can I buy replacement :-)
Old 01-27-2016, 06:12 PM   #1360
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I study at CTU in Prague so I have access to university electronics lab and I have some friends there. I just need to know where is the chip located on the motherboard and where can I buy replacement :-)
Search for a kindle touch teardown.

Our master index (see: sticky "where do I start") points at the techrepublic one - which has been either moved or taken down.

So when you find a good one, update the K5 Teardown Index entry (its a wiki page, anyone can edit it).
Old 02-21-2016, 12:19 AM   #1361
tominsfo
tominsfo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
another Kubrick debrick success story with Kindle 3 keyboard

thanks for the Kubrick software which worked for me - after some trial and error.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard

Failure mode: "Your Kindle needs repair" screen with the "battery" annotation at bottom right.

Cause: Unknown, but this Kindle had been sitting idle for at least a year. Wouldn't accept a charge, wouldn't boot, etc. etc.

First attempt at Remedy: 1st I tried to replace the battery, but the new battery also had trouble charging, and the amber charging light would go out after about 20 minutes. Tried multiple reboots, resets, including the small button on the pcb board but nothing worked.

Second attempt at Remedy: downloaded kubrick to a usb stick and it would only partially boot indicating that "no partition found." So then downloaded the CD image and burned it to a CD on Windows 7 laptop which created bootable disk. Ran the Kubrick program, it started fine on the CD unlike the usb, and while it appeared to successfully flash the kernel in about 10 seconds, it would only flash the partition for about 5 minutes, reach 2%, and then indicate "successful" even though all the instructions say that it takes 2-3 hours to flash the partition. Well, it wasn't successful. So in the process of trying to reboot it (slide power key, then volume - key), pushing little reset button on back of pcb board, I became frustrated and took it back to the charger. But now something was different - the amber charging light stayed on longer than 20 minutes; in fact the amber light stayed on for at least 5 hours and also the charger was warm the whole time (unlike before). So in a hail mary, I tried the kubrick CD again and this time it flashed the kernel, like before, but unlike before, took 2 and half hours flashing the partition.

Result: After the 2nd flash, and after charging the replacement battery after the initial partially successful but ultimately failed flash, the second flash worked!

Anyway, thanks for your solution, I share my experience if it might help someone, and yes I made a small contribution to the Laos reading project as per the sponsor's request.
tominsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:50 AM   #1362
Steve8x8
Steve8x8 began at the beginning.

Device: PW
And here's another success story.
K4 NT, which had been running 4.1.1 for more than two years, with backdoorlock and all in place.
Then the dreaded announcement came, that I had to upgrade to 4.1.3 - which I did, after applying the latest JB, etc. Somehow I overshot - and had a non-responding device that even refused to properly charge.
After almost one week having it conected to the wall charger, I gave Kubrick a try.
Had to do it twice because somehow the built-in JB didn't work (boy under tree..., refreshing the screen every now and then). Second time, I unchecked JB, but completely cleared the device instead (nothing to lose, and I had backed up the stored books using Calibre first, when I got to that diags menu).

Now I'm in the tedious process of re-building the device, with JB and USBnet (check), 4.1.3 (check), and will proceed to KUAL and the new way of backdoorkocking soon, still have to dig my way through all those (mostly outdated) instructions scattered over the whole forum...

Anyway, I had already lost hope to get this far (and a Fire7 is already doing its kind of job) - thanks to everyone involved! I've been to Laos myself in the meantime, and will donate once I've got my device fully updated!
Steve8x8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #1363
pcwizzy37
pcwizzy37 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Help with k4

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwizzy37
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have a kindle 4 NT that i bricked by exporting storage from diags and then deleting ENABLE_DIAGS, when I connect it to my computers it shows up as NS Blank CODEX and USB Human Interface Device. is there a software tool that can use that connection or the serial port to fix the board id?? please reply.

P.S. I have an Arduino Due, if that helps.
The few actions that you describe would not have bricked your K4.
There must be other things/actions involved.

Use KUBRICK.
KuBrick does not work, I cannot even get it into fastboot anymore.
Kubrick is just a 'wizard' that runs the command line utilities.
There isn't anything else to try.

What would help is if you would answer my question -
What things did you do that you have not yet mentioned?
What I did (or at least what I remember)
I jailbroke the kindle,
I installed KUAL,
I installed KoReader,
I installed duokan OS,
I used a program in KUAL to run commands(just find, ls cat /proc/cpuinfo, maybe others but I do not remember),
I created ENABLE_DIAGS and rebooted,
i did some things in diags, I forgot what, but I think I was going to try to enable ssh.
then I did what I said a few messages back.
I have to get off my computer. but willctry to remember more and send you information.
Although written for the Pw-1,
The sentiment is the same:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...48&postcount=8
I was told to make this public.
pcwizzy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:14 PM   #1364
pcwizzy37
pcwizzy37 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
How do i compile the u-boot source code? I followed the instructions on the Kindle touch hacking index(but downloaded my k4 source code instead of the kindle touch source code.), but sb_loader fails to copy the created u-boot.bin. And how do I compile the u-boot with fixed idme vars?
pcwizzy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #1365
kuryr10
kuryr10 began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 1 3G
"Good news for Paperwhite owners"

UPDATE: Good news for Paperwhite owners! A PW has been debricked from the dreaded "Your Kindle Needs Repair" screen! Nice job kaznelson!

What mean this? I can't find nothing what can fix my issue. It would be good news for me. I have B01D Kindle PaperWhite 3G + WiFi (Europe)
PW, PWGB

I send to kindle some PDF and after it happen, that kindle frozen. I was restart it and now its frozen in start screen. I can't do nothing (40s pushing off button), charging doesn't work too (after 20 hour still lighting orange, sometime doesn't lighting).

Is there a simple solution for me?

Thx for everything.
kuryr10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking