Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #31
bnpssilva
Connoisseur
bnpssilva began at the beginning.

Device: KV, kOA2, KPW1, KPW2, KPW4,KT1, KT3, KT4,kOBOS, Nooks, PRS-T2
Did somebody find out about the weight ?
bnpssilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #32
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've done the same. But on my PC, my books are all ePub. I prefer the Kobo software, but if that image is the real deal, I'll likely be buying a couple of Glowlight 3s.
I've pre-ordered. I couldn't resist. I loved the Nook Simple Touch, but haven't bought a Nook ereader since. I'll stick with buying ebooks from Kobo and Amazon though.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #33
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Product description claims: "Read for up to 50 days on a single charge."

What do we make of this? Is it a significant change? How does it compare to competitors?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I've pre-ordered. I couldn't resist. I loved the Nook Simple Touch, but haven't bought a Nook ereader since. I'll stick with buying ebooks from Kobo and Amazon though.
I'm going to hold out for Black Friday. The Nook STwG's battery isn't holding a charge like it used to though, so I probably won't last much longer than that.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #35
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
The specs show memory of:
"8GB memory: 2.5GB for NOOK Store content and side-loaded content".

Assuming that the OS needs about 1GB and there is 2.5GB storage for both B&N content and side-loaded content, what the heck would be using the 4.5GB?

One thing that really turned me off Nooks several models ago was their instance on limiting the amount of storage available for side-loaded content--this became an even bigger problem when they eliminated the sd card slot.

I'll be interested to see how this does--but I don't see myself buying one. I'm very happy with my Kobo Aura One and my Kindle Voyage. If I were to add another reader to my collection it would probably be the new Kindle Oasis.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #36
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Product description claims: "Read for up to 50 days on a single charge."

What do we make of this? Is it a significant change? How does it compare to competitors?
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/noo...=9780594777137

says 30 minutes/day, 5 pages/minute, light at 80%, for 25 days uses half the battery capacity.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
The specs show memory of:
"8GB memory: 2.5GB for NOOK Store content and side-loaded content".

Assuming that the OS needs about 1GB and there is 2.5GB storage for both B&N content and side-loaded content, what the heck would be using the 4.5GB?
I wondered about that too. It seems off.

Quote:
One thing that really turned me off Nooks several models ago was their instance on limiting the amount of storage available for side-loaded content--this became an even bigger problem when they eliminated the sd card slot.
That turned me off to the initial Nook Glowlight (the all white model) because side loading was limited to something like 0.5GB. But both the Glowlight Plus and 3 offer at least 2.5GB. The SD card in my Aura that I have never removed a read book from only has 3GB of books on it, so 2.5 should be plenty.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #38
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Anyone catch this little nugget? "Free NOOK issues of select magazines see details"

The details page shows four magazines: New Yorker, Newsweek, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today. I wonder if that is a perpetual subscription to the four magazines or if it's just sample issues. If it's the former, that would be interesting.
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Found a link that includes more shots, including the back. They didn't bring back the scalloped back that helped make the ST so comfy. Images at the bottom of the link here
Old 11-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
Anyone catch this little nugget? "Free NOOK issues of select magazines see details"

The details page shows four magazines: New Yorker, Newsweek, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today. I wonder if that is a perpetual subscription to the four magazines or if it's just sample issues. If it's the former, that would be interesting.
Just a sample issue. I read that, but don't remember where.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #41
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
the dimensions for the nook glowlight 3 are 6.93" x 5.00" x 0.38".
the dimensions for the previous model (glowlight plus) are 6.40" x 4.70" x 0.34".
i think this is the first time i've seen a later model with the same screen size released but with overall LARGER dimensions instead of having the same dimensions or smaller. it is also not waterproof.

i do like the amber night light, however. and the physical page turn buttons is a good feature to bring back. and the softer edges should make it more comfortable to hold than the sharp metal edges of the glowlight plus.

Last edited by rem736; 11-01-2017 at 05:51 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
the dimensions for the nook glowlight 3 are 6.93" x 5.00" x 0.38".
the dimensions for the previous model (glowlight plus) are 6.40" x 4.70" x 0.34".
i think this is the first time i've seen a later model with the same screen size released but with overall LARGER dimensions instead of having the same dimensions or smaller. it is also not waterproof.

i do like the amber night light, however. and the physical page turn buttons is a good feature to bring back. and the softer edges should make it more comfortable to hold than the sharp metal edges of the glowlight plus.
This is the size of the new Kobo Aura H2O 7.04" x 5.08" x 0.38" with a 6.8" screen. It's not that much larger for a bigger screen.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-03-2017 at 09:08 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #43
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...And it has a variable orange light. The nook is either on or off.
Where did you read that? The orange light is variable on the Nook according to Engadget (The GlowLight 3 will automatically and gradually switch its front light from a daytime cool white light to a warmer, orange-toned glow for nighttime reading) and B&N (Mimics the sun’s natural progression throughout the day.)
Old 11-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #44
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
(Mimics the sun’s natural progression throughout the day.)
Oh no! Does that mean the light stays off between sunset and sunrise?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #45
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
B&N sent me an email about this today. Very nice looking and, wowee, page turn buttons! Love those!

I did just get a Paperwhite and, while it's nice to read on, the lack of page turn buttons makes me not like it as much. I either have to read with one hand holding the reader and the other tapping the screen to turn pages or try and do it all one handed. And I seriously got a cramp in my thumb moving it back and forth all the time to turn the darned page. Couldn't just rest it on a nice button where all I have to do is press.

This new one looks like a cross between the ST and the Glowlight.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote