Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 10-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
botmtl
Enthusiast
botmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel is

Device: none
OPF file to Metadata?

I can usually hack at the code until I get it, but I've been at this for a while now, ... and no luck.

I would like to load opf files and convert them to a Metadata object. Working in the calibre-debug console - so far - I have tried:
Code:
from calibre.ebooks.metadata.utils import parse_opf
from calibre.ebooks.metadata.opf import get_metadata_from_parsed
miparsed=parse_opf(r"D:\pathtomyfile\99999999.mi")
get_metadata_from_parsed(mistr)
but that fails with:
Code:
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\opf.py", line 37, in get_metadata_from_parsed
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\opf.py", line 27, in get_metadata2
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\opf2.py", line 640, in to_book_metadata
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\__init__.py", line 337, in MetaInformation
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\book\base.py", line 90, in __init__
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\book\base.py", line 475, in smart_update
TypeError: 'lxml.etree._Element' object is not callable
Then I tried
Code:
o=OPF(r"D:\pathtomyfile\99999999.mi")
o.to_book_metadata()
but that fails with
Code:
  File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\opf2.py", line 640, in to_book_metadata
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\__init__.py", line 337, in MetaInformation
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\book\base.py", line 475, in smart_update
TypeError: 'OPF' object is not callable
Lastly I tried:
Code:
from calibre.ebooks.metadata.meta import opf_metadata
but just trying to import that method blew up in my face
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\meta.py", line 11, in <module>
  File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 25, in <module>
  File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 59, in Plugin
TypeError: 'OPF' object is not callable
And that's where I gave up. Why would an import blow up? Arg!

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help out?
botmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:15 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Code:
from calibre.ebooks.metadata.opf import get_metadata
get_metadata(open('/t/p/input/index.opf'))[0]
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #3
botmtl
Enthusiast
botmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel isbotmtl really knows where his or her towel is

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Code:
from calibre.ebooks.metadata.opf import get_metadata
get_metadata(open('/t/p/input/index.opf'))[0]
Thank you!

I finally found where everything goes wrong ... but I have no idea why. Running this works fine:
Code:
get_metadata(open('d:\\1.mi'))[0]
but this (raw string) fails:
Code:
get_metadata(open(r'd:\1.mi'))[0]
with
Code:
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\opf.py", line 44, in get_metadata
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\opf.py", line 37, in get_metadata_from_parsed
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\opf.py", line 27, in get_metadata2
TypeError: 'list' object is not callable
Any idea why? It's so strange, i'm sure i have used the r'strings' before for paths.. Fals seem to happen on I18n stuff (it's mistakenly thinking that _ is a call object thing instead of translation stuff).

Last edited by botmtl; 10-08-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I doubt it is the use of a raw string that is causing it, it's likely something else that is different somewhere. Try creating a minimal script to run with calibre-debug that reporduces it, that might help narrow it down.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
botmtl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I doubt it is the use of a raw string.
I made quite a few tests, the results being more baffling every time I tried something new until I thought of trying the code in a new terminal.

I haven't been able to reproduce any of the weird behavior in the new terminal and I (stupidly) closed the original terminal I was on so I will never know exactly what was wrong. My best guess is that the codepage value my terminal was on was a very weird value, probably due to running vcpkg (which changes the cp value). Mind you this is just a guess.

Thank you for your help pointing me in the right direction.