Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
JTAL604622
Enthusiast
JTAL604622 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900
Sony 900 not showing series numbers?

I have the Sony 900 (love it by the way), anyhow I use linux and calibre .715 and use the series numbers to keep reading order for my books.

It worked fine when i had the 600, however now after upgrading to the 900 and newer versions of calibre somewhere i lost the option..

I use : {series}/{series_index:0>3s}-{title} to send to device..i tested it save to disk and it worked great, copied to device (after the transfer failed to show correctly) and again the device failed to show the series number and just showed the title...?

Very odd any thoughts?

Thanks - Jonathon
JTAL604622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAL604622 View Post
I have the Sony 900 (love it by the way), anyhow I use linux and calibre .715 and use the series numbers to keep reading order for my books.
Where are you expecting to see the series numbers?

Quote:
It worked fine when i had the 600, however now after upgrading to the 900 and newer versions of calibre somewhere i lost the option..

I use : {series}/{series_index:0>3s}-{title} to send to device..i tested it save to disk and it worked great, copied to device (after the transfer failed to show correctly) and again the device failed to show the series number and just showed the title...?
This just names the file. Unless you can browse the folder structure of the 900 this will not affect the way the book info is viewed in any of the menus. The same can be said about the 600, 300 and 505.

I'm not sure why you are even going this route. I use the Automatic management feature of calibre under Preferences - Add/save - Send to device tab and my books in a series are always in order under the appropriate collection.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
JTAL604622
Enthusiast
JTAL604622 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900
I anticipated that since the code is for send to device that it would create the folder X / 1-"Title" so that way I can have it show the books in reading order.

I am quite sure that it worked properly in 600 but I can see the "file name" in the folder on the device but my reader set to title sort doesnt show anything...isnt the point of having the series index send to device option to allow the device to handle the books in reading order?

I could add the numbers to the title but that seems impratical...
JTAL604622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I anticipated that since the code is for send to device that it would create the folder X / 1-"Title" so that way I can have it show the books in reading order.
The books in collections created for the series are in Series order.

Quote:
I am quite sure that it worked properly in 600
Calibre has never used the Send to device template to change how the Title metadata is displayed on any reader. Put simply the 600 showed the title exactly has you had it listed in the metadata displayed in calibre.

Quote:
I can see the "file name" in the folder on the device but my reader set to title sort doesnt show anything...isnt the point of having the series index send to device option to allow the device to handle the books in reading order?
The series index is used to ensure the books in collections are in series order.

Personally all of my collections are created via tags and series and the books in my series collections have been in order for over a year. I don't need to see the series index in the title to know the books are in order.

If you really need to verify you're reading the correct book in a series you have two obvious options.

1. Convert each book with the Insert metadata as page at start of book checked under Preferences - Conversion - Structure detection. This will insert a book jacket like the attached as the first page past the cover in your book.

2. Create a catalog of all of your books by using the drop down arrow to the right of the convert books icon. Keep this epub on your device and refer to the order whenever you have doubts.

If you insist on using Books by Title instead of Collections to find your series then you will have to manually edit each book title. Why you would want to do this is beyond me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metadata_page_insert_example.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	57254  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If your series number is part of the file name you can also open the book in the reader and then choose options>info and see tha actual filename. (on the PRS 600 anyway)
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert