Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
Tdew
Tdew began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
How to remove a reader from Sony's list

Hi,
I've got two 505s that are registered with Sony for buying books.
A screen problem resulted in a replacement for ebook #1, but now I cannot find how to remove the older one and put in the replacement serial number.
If I connect the new one to the EBook store, I'm told that it's not a valid reader unless I register it.
I want to remove the old one and have asked Sony how to do so, but have not received anything more than the automated response.

The unusual thing is that I did receive a survey asking if I was satisfied with the response after contacting Sony support... (I do keep a watch on my junk mail folder too)

Does anyone know how to go about removing the dead reader?
Tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Open up the Sony eBook Library software and click My Account (you'll have to log in). It will take you to an Account overview. At the bottom will be My Authorized Devices. Click in the box Manage Devices. Here is where you can authorize/deauthorize devices. Deauthorize the old Reader and authorize the new one.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
If I recall, you have to HAVE the old reader connected in order to de-authorize. I had that issue, had to call Sony Support to get them to de-authorize for me. They questioned me about where the other reader was (dead), then they processed for me.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfarrell View Post
If I recall, you have to HAVE the old reader connected in order to de-authorize. I had that issue, had to call Sony Support to get them to de-authorize for me. They questioned me about where the other reader was (dead), then they processed for me.
You can also email sony, they deauthorized a few pcs for me
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
It happened to me. I sent my reader to Sony for service and they in turn sent me a new reader instead of fixing the old one. Since I shared an account with my ex-roommate at the time, we already had a total of 6 devices on the account (2 PRS-505, 2 laptops, and both of our work PCs). I had to call Sony to have the old reader removed in order to register my new one. It only took 5 minutes.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Tdew
Tdew began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Thanks, that explains a lot. I knew I had seen a spot where you could remove a reader, but when I went to the account I could only remove a computer. I'll give them a call, because I sent the email request on Oct 15th and haven't heard anything more than a form answer saying I could expect a response in 24 hours. I DID get a survey to fill out about my email support experience...
Tdew is offline   Reply With Quote