Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-27-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
Be Szpilman
Fetch that LRF
Be Szpilman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Treo 650
Reading methodology (list ordering)

I'm interested in how you guys read your books, considering they're all readily available anytime. Do you tackle'em one by one ? Have a multitude "Reading Now" at any given time ? Chose a genre/subgenre/author and read everything about it before moving to other or prefer to mix things up ?

Me, I have always a fiction and a non-fiction being read together. That way I can keep focused on both as they don't interfere, and prevent from reading just fiction which is easy a 'trap' to fall into. Also, among my fiction reading order list I always interlace a series book with a lone one. So I always have a series on the going but every other book is completely unrelated. It prevents me from staying months on end on the same author (especially when you talk about particularly huge series/universes), and has the added benefit of making me read faster, as I want to be done with the odd book and get back to the series as quickly as possible. I think if you read the next in the series within a month you're safe of remembering mostly everything, and it gives more freedom to read other stuff meanwhile.

Exceptions are non-fiction course, reference and textbooks, which are not to be read in a linear fashion, or at least not as quickly as the eye can run over them, and as such don't belong to my 2 books methodology.

Sorry if it got overly confusing at any point Hope the question made it through.

Cheers!
Bernie
Be Szpilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Wow, when you say methodology, you mean methodology!

I guess you could say I read by "mood" (i.e. can't read a funny book and a somber book at the same time). And when I start a series, I read the books back-to-back to stay in the mood and story. There are so many exceptions in my reading patterns that calling it a methodology would be laughable. I just read what my mood dictates.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
actually that's a really interesting question. i can't say i've thought about it enough to really consider it a methodology, however i do seem to have some consistent habits.

i am usually reading several books at the same time, and i switch between them depending on mood. almost always in the group there is (at least) one very "lightweight" book, like an agatha christie or other mystery, or pg wodehouse, for a night when i am too tired to concentrate on anything very much but just want to read to relax.

when i discover a new author i like, i usually devour everything i can find by them whether or not the books are part of a series or not, until i run out of them. often i will fall into a "theme" and read a lot of books having something in common (even if superficially) ; for instance a few years ago i discovered the portugese writer Saramago ; then i discovered another portugese author by chance (the name escapes me now) and for several months i read only portugese litterature.

it's interesting to look at people's reading habits. you seem to have a well-thought out system.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I'm a lot like you Bernie, except I try to only read one book at a time. I don't read a series back to back because I'm someone that will get burnt out of an author that way. I try to mix up reading fiction, non fiction, thrillers, classics and different genres. I don't create a list though just pick something new depending on my mood.

I've been listening to audio books the last few years while walking the dog and driving and I try to keep those different or I get confused.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I used to keep a pbook at work to read during lunch and be reading another at home, just to not have to carry one back & forth. Then I got a Palm TX PDA (not really for reading but for the PDA capability). It is usually in my shirt pocket so it is handy for odd moments, waiting in lines or doctor's offices, etc. Now with the Cybook, that has replaced my pbook at home and sometimes at work but there are still some pbooks to read so they are usually the ones at work. And sometimes I get spare moments to read on the computer, handy when there's nothing to do at work.

Sometimes if I can't get into a new book, I put it aside (easier with the Cybook) and read another then go back to the first. Also this happens if one of the books I'm reading gets really exciting.

It is sure nice to have a variety at my finger tips.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not at all sure why you (the original poster) considers reading fiction to be a "trap". That makes it sound as though it's something to be ashamed of! Nothing at all wrong with only reading fiction if that's what you enjoy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzpilman View Post
I'm interested in how you guys read your books, considering they're all readily available anytime. Do you tackle'em one by one ? Have a multitude "Reading Now" at any given time ? Chose a genre/subgenre/author and read everything about it before moving to other or prefer to mix things up ?

Me, I have always a fiction and a non-fiction being read together. That way I can keep focused on both as they don't interfere, and prevent from reading just fiction which is easy a 'trap' to fall into. Also, among my fiction reading order list I always interlace a series book with a lone one. So I always have a series on the going but every other book is completely unrelated. It prevents me from staying months on end on the same author (especially when you talk about particularly huge series/universes), and has the added benefit of making me read faster, as I want to be done with the odd book and get back to the series as quickly as possible. I think if you read the next in the series within a month you're safe of remembering mostly everything, and it gives more freedom to read other stuff meanwhile.

Exceptions are non-fiction course, reference and textbooks, which are not to be read in a linear fashion, or at least not as quickly as the eye can run over them, and as such don't belong to my 2 books methodology.

Sorry if it got overly confusing at any point Hope the question made it through.

Cheers!
Bernie
For me, reading its a purely enjoyable pastime. I read what I want when I want, regardless if its fiction or nonfiction. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I may jump from mystery to sci-fi to horror to historical fiction willy nilly. May read several books on one subject, or not. I didn't realize there was a 'methodology" to it. Since most of my reading is fiction, I"m also wondering what 'trap' you are referring to? If I were reading a new author, and just started on a series of his/hers, why would I deny myself the enjoyment of reading all that were available at once? I don't understand the problem there.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I think that the OP meant that reading only fiction is a "trap" inasmuch as he wants to have a broader level of reading, so the non-fiction serves as a way of staying in the "real" world and sticking to something that allegedly has facts here and now that can be checked. At least that's my thought.

My method of reading is much like my method of organizing my office, which my wife describes as "early post hand grenade." I have all these books on my Kindle and read whatever catches my eye. If the book captures me, I finish it. If not, it sits for a while until it does. After I'm done with it, it stays on the Kindle until I re-read it. Some day, I'll put a folder on my computer of "books I've read" and start moving them there. For now, I have plenty of room on the SD, so I don't.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I think that the OP meant that reading only fiction is a "trap" inasmuch as he wants to have a broader level of reading, so the non-fiction serves as a way of staying in the "real" world and sticking to something that allegedly has facts here and now that can be checked. At least that's my thought.
I just have a problem with the choice of reading being restricted in any way. You can read anyway you want, but if you limit yourself to such discipline that you only read in certain orders, aren't you foregoing something you want to read in order to read something you don't, and therefore lowering your pleasure in reading, which is the purpose of reading? I don't know how else to put it.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
I just have a problem with the choice of reading being restricted in any way. You can read anyway you want, but if you limit yourself to such discipline that you only read in certain orders, aren't you foregoing something you want to read in order to read something you don't, and therefore lowering your pleasure in reading, which is the purpose of reading? I don't know how else to put it.
Well, it's all a matter of personal choice. I have no idea if my interpretation of the OP is correct. Like I said, I tend to scatter around until I find something enjoyable and go with it. The OP seems to have made a system that works for him.

Obviously, your system doesn't work for you, but we're covering that in sessions.

$250, please, you can pay the laddy at the door. Or try to escape through the tunnel if you like
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Well, it's all a matter of personal choice. I have no idea if my interpretation of the OP is correct. Like I said, I tend to scatter around until I find something enjoyable and go with it. The OP seems to have made a system that works for him.

Obviously, your system doesn't work for you, but we're covering that in sessions.

$250, please, you can pay the laddy at the door. Or try to escape through the tunnel if you like
Is it ethical or even legal to charge outside the 'office'?? And I need to speak to you about your rates. Did you forget a decimal point? Like, after the '2'? AND I can't find the blasted tunnel you guys keep talking about!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually before college (age 25 - couldn't afford it earlier, couldn't afford it then - just went) I, like DG, read whatever was of interest. In college there was too much "structured" reading for course work that I fell out of the habit of reading non-fiction (well mostly) and what I read is for my own pleasure. Occasionally I read non-fiction - e.g. a very good book IMHO is "Brain Sex - The real difference between men & women" by Dr. Anne Moir & David Jessel. I highly recommend it, even if Patricia might (???) call it bad science as she did about plants feeling. I found it quite interesting.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I read very little non-fiction. I do like reading fact-based fiction, however. There are lots of fictionalized biographies and historical fiction novels available, and I find those interesting to intersperse among the mysteries, fantasies, and science fiction that comprises the majority of my reading.

Like DG, my reading it recreational. That's why my criteria for an electronic reader weren't as exacting as some others. That's also why I don't enjoy reading on my computer. Inside my computer is also the corporate e-mail client and administrative applications. If I try to relax with a novel on the computer, the work things are sitting there nagging at me.

I always have several books going at once. I sample several books and then settle on one which gets most of my attention until it is finished. I also make sure that at least one of the books I'm reading is a paper book. That's for two reasons -- so that I have something to read during takeoff and landing when the Kindle is supposed to be powered down, and because I'm in a book swapping group and need to keep up my obligations.

When I discover a new author -- if I'm enjoying the books -- I'll often read back-to-back through the series. I don't always exhaust the available books in the series. For example, I've read three of the Honor Harrington novels by David Weber, but took a break to read other things and will go back to the HH series in a while.

My YTD statistics:
Books read: 79 -- 31 on Kindle, 45 on paper, 3 audio

By genre:
Chicklit: 5
Classic: 3
Fantasy: 9
Historical: 4
Mainstream: 5
Mystery: 32
Romance: 2
SciFi: 19

Electronic by source:
Baen free library: 6
Purchased @ Baen: 3
Free from MobileRead: 2
Free from Feedbooks: 3
Purchased from Amazon: 9
Free from Amazon: 3
Purchased from Fictionwise: 3
Free from TOR: 1
Self-made: 1

On my computer, I keep a list of the books I've completed and the pertinent statistics. At the end of each quarter, I post this list on my LiveJournal blog at http://gee-elsi.livejournal.com/

I only "read" audio books when I must drive myself somewhere and I'm alone in the car. Therefore, it might take me several months to complete an unabridged book. Yesterday, I inserted the 10th disk (out of 12) into the CD player in my car.

So, what are my current reads?
  • The Nerd Who Loved Me by Vicki Lewis Thompson (paper)
  • The Old Man's War by John Scalzi (eBook)
  • Earth Has No Sorrow by Michelle Blake (paper)
  • The Onuissance Cells by Steve Jordan (eBook)
  • Love Over Scotland by Alexander McCall Smith (audio)

There are a lot more books that I've started reading -- usually less than two chapters -- and set aside for a while.

I'm not sure there's much "method" to this madness. I read what strikes my fancy. Some of the book choices are made based on keeping up my obligations in my book swapping group. But if I'm swapping a book that I really am not enjoying reading, I'll just mail it without completing it and hope that I might read it at a later date.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #14
slayda
Retired & reading more!

Elsi, how do you keep up with all that. You must really have an organized mind.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

I used to read one book at a time.........until I got my Kindle. Now its just too easy to switch back and forth, without losing track, depending on my mood. There is also a stack of books on my living room endtable to choose from...mostly books I can't get for my Kindle. An unlimited selection of books to read at any time. What a concept. Elsi? You are amazing.