Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #196
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
I have a dxi but I don't have a k3 so I don't think I can put it on...

I tried launchpad with Duokan but it didn't seem to work.. :-(

I think the only real hack I can have is just Duokan itself
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #197
freezer2k
Enthusiast
freezer2k doesn't litterfreezer2k doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 intl.
Beta4 worked for me.

Kindle2i

I just wonder, it takes quite a while for the kindle to 'wake up' after it slept for some while.

Like 6-7secs i reckon. Is that normal?
freezer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #198
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
Freezer2k, I have similar experience with firmware 3.1 on the DXG; it sometimes takes 6-7 seconds until Kindle starts up if it has been asleep for a long time. The 3.1 firmware is considerable (around 1.5 times) slower on my DXG than on my 3G but it can not fully explain this delay.

There are some other glitches with the 3.1 firmware on the DXG apart from the known bugs with the sound and active content (azw2 files). I experience that battery sometimes runs down in sleep mode. Yesterday the battery was down to 60% from fully charged within six hours in sleep mode with radio on. Maybe the Kindle was occupied with indexing. Another thing that is a bit annoying is that the automatic screen rotation on the DXG - which I always turn off - is automatically set when Kindle is restarted. I don´t remember if it was the same with the 2.5.8 firmware. In any case these are trifles compared with the advantages of firmware 3.1.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #199
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickeFix View Post
Freezer2k, I have similar experience with firmware 3.1 on the DXG; it sometimes takes 6-7 seconds until Kindle starts up if it has been asleep for a long time. The 3.1 firmware is considerable (around 1.5 times) slower on my DXG than on my 3G but it can not fully explain this delay.

There are some other glitches with the 3.1 firmware on the DXG apart from the known bugs with the sound and active content (azw2 files). I experience that battery sometimes runs down in sleep mode. Yesterday the battery was down to 60% from fully charged within six hours in sleep mode with radio on. Maybe the Kindle was occupied with indexing. Another thing that is a bit annoying is that the automatic screen rotation on the DXG - which I always turn off - is automatically set when Kindle is restarted. I don´t remember if it was the same with the 2.5.8 firmware. In any case these are trifles compared with the advantages of firmware 3.1.
I think the slowness and some of the other gliches comes from the fact that the framework was designed to work with twice the ram and a faster CPU. Maybe that's why Amazon never released it.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #200
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Another thing that is a bit annoying is that the automatic screen rotation on the DXG - which I always turn off - is automatically set when Kindle is restarted. I don´t remember if it was the same with the 2.5.8 firmware. In any case these are trifles compared with the advantages of firmware 3.1.
that's the only slight annoying thing with kindle. I'm sorry but turning it upsidedown I don't see the point of. Some that reminds me of the Atari Lynx in '89 that could flip the screen supposedly for lefties..
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 04:37 AM   #201
phili
Zealot
phili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Another thing that is a bit annoying is that the automatic screen rotation on the DXG - which I always turn off - is automatically set when Kindle is restarted. I don´t remember if it was the same with the 2.5.8 firmware.
Well, this is exactly like the 2.5.8 firmware. The screen rotation on my DXG is always set on 'auto' after a restart.
phili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #202
mb8312
mb8312 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch, paperwhite, Sony T3
thank you, good jobs. I tried kindle 2i, work fine. but screen shot combined keys cann't work after upgrade to 3.1, and booting is slower. and after upgrade my kindle dx us from 2.5.8 to 3.1 (host kindle 3 3g), it stop while booting, " please wait a moment while your kindle starts up". and It's been 10+ hours from upgrading. I tried press enter key + power for 1 minutes and 10 sec to restart, but no luck. it didn't work. it's bricked. I hope I can make it work after the run out of battery.

and, it's better to deregister your kindle before upgrading. after upgraded, the registered info disappeared. you have to register again with the SAME account.
mb8312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #203
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

mb8312, first try to restart Kindle again by holding the sleep button in 60 seconds, RELEASING IT QUICKLY, and holding it again for 10 seconds and release. Then wait and the Kindle will restart within 20 seconds. Make also sure that the battery is not empty. If it still get stuck then reinstall the original software again as Yifanlu described in the readme file by holding Enter key while it starts up:

"Hold down the Enter key on the keypad and reboot by holding the sleep switch down for a minute, release, and hold it down again for 10 seconds. You will see the recovery menu. Press the E key and plug in the Kindle and you should see the USB drive on your computer. Take the Kindle recovery "update_restore-os.bin" package you saved from when creating the update to the root of the USB drive. Disconnect the Kindle. Press the U key to restore to your Kindle's original version."

Last edited by DickeFix; 05-31-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #204
mb8312

yes, I tried the the method in the readme file. but no luck. it show the same booting message. I opened the DX (yes, I'm gettig mad for it i couldn't read now :-( ). and take the battery out a while, and make sure it hold charge. then put it back, guess what ?..... it didn't change the screen. there's something wrong. I check the log when I created the rootfs.img, it looks the same as I did on k2i. and patching log all the same as the k2i. don't know why. plug USB on and connected with a computer, there's no USB disk detected. so I cann't use the dd method to restore it. HELP !! if I sent it back to amazon will they repair it for me ? and will that cost much money ?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #205
mb8312

same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpavlin View Post
I assume you are talking about beta3b version. It created image with a problem, but after successful update DXG is just stuck at amazon tree screen.

I'm having slight problems entering recovery menu.

I managed to show it once so I know it works, but it timeouted (in just few seconds) and now I'm stuck on tree screen again.

I can see that power led goes off 9 seconds after holding power, and it seems that DXG needs longer than 60 seconds for first holding (once I managed to get into recovery I held power about 120 seconds).

Update: after a lot of trials, now I don't even get power led to turn on when plugged into usb. Rest of experiments will have to wait another day, since I run out of time today.

Should Kindle be plugged into USB while entering recovery?

Update 2: it seems that it's easier with USB plugged, since you can see led going off (if it doesn't it doesn't work for me). Also it's really important to be fast when releasing and again pressing power as well as pressing E do get USB to show up :-)

I'm right now restoring 2.5.8, and I can re-try beta3b if that will help. Last time I did beta3 -> beta3b update, does that make difference?
my DX us has the same problem, it just stuck at amazon tree screen. and cann't get into recovery mode or reboot. do you remember how you fix it up ? thank you.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #206
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Reset stuck Kindle DXG with patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb8312 View Post
my DX us has the same problem, it just stuck at amazon tree screen. and cann't get into recovery mode or reboot. do you remember how you fix it up ? thank you.
I can't really recommend anything more than I allready wrote.

Just to re-iterate: hold power for 60 seconds (a little bit more is better than little bit less :-), let it go and hold it again really fast. There is probably 1 second or less timeout somewhere because I wasn't fast enough in first few tries. You should see screen going flashing black-white at this point.

Use some kind of digital clock to track seconds (I used xclock -update 1), don't just count in your head...

If nothing happens, try to plugin your kindle in USB port or pressing all keys one by one. I don't know why this helps, but I noticed that on 2.5.8 when resetting. It's almost like Kindle needs one more event (other than releasing power button) to actually reset.

I think you need to hold enter key at this point (and not during whole procedure, but I might be wrong).

Also, have your finger on E to respond really fast (looking at the screen to see what is written isn't really an option, because that timeout is also quite short).

Hope this helps....
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #207
DickeFix
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb8312 View Post
take the battery out a while, and make sure it hold charge. then put it back, guess what ?..... it didn't change the screen. there's something wrong. I check the log when I created the rootfs.img, it looks the same as I did on k2i. and patching log all the same as the k2i. don't know why. plug USB on and connected with a computer, there's no USB disk detected. ?
It may be the battery that has gone dead. Have you used and recharged the DX many times since you bought it? Does the charger lamp light up when you plug in the USB?

Try first the hardware reset button inside the Kindle

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72779

If that doesn´t work I would leave the battery out for an hour to let the capacitors discharge and then try to start up with power adapter without any battery. I am not 100% sure that the Kindle is supposed to start-up with only adapter, without battery but I think at this stage it is worth a try.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #208
mb8312

yes, I tried the hard reset also, no luck. the screen didn't change ( at the Amazon Tree with "please wait a moment while your kindle starts up" ). anyone know how to flash the NAND Flash without mod ? and the Battery in good status, 3.3v
Old 06-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #209
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
version 3.2.1 is working perfect on my DXG. I used the v 1.0 pack. Thanks a lot.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #210
liuto
Connoisseur
liuto is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DXG / Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
version 3.2.1 is working perfect on my DXG. I used the v 1.0 pack. Thanks a lot.
Have you jailbroken your 3.2.1?
liuto is offline   Reply With Quote