Notices

Old 04-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Richie
Richie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Kindle support called me today to update me on why

my battery does not last as it should.

Quote:
My battery with wispernet on lasts 1 day. With wispernet off it lasts 2-3 days with it in sleep mode much of that time

Customer support attributes shorter batter life due to the fact that I have a SD memory card in it. Seems they are only guessing.

Kindle sent me a NEW replacement battery and it lasted for 12 hours with wisperrnet on.

Went back to my old battery and I am waiting for them to analyze the information that they downloaded from my Kindle to make a determination of what the problem is.
This is the Kindle support analysis and how to fix the situation.

1.) Kindle does not support SD HC memory cards. ( I have a 4gb hc)
They confirm they have never told customers this.
No HC memory cards should be used

2.)They say my Kindle keeps re-indexing and causes battery drain.
*Their solution is to reformat the Kindle to the way it came.
*Take out the SD card
*Paper clip the back and press the Home key right after.
3 commands will come up. Choose #2 - Restore to default.
*The contents of the Clippings File will be lost.
*Periodicals older than 7 issues may not be able to be accessed.
(they don't know for sure) Although I have archived them on my computer

3. They say my clippings file is corrupted. Mind you, It works fine for me.
*Seems unusual since it is a text file

4. They say replace the SD card with a memory card that does not have HC.

5. I purchased the SD card base on Amazon recommendation and they gave me a $20 credit to purchase a non HC card.

I have not performed this yet. Try to find a 4gb Sd card without HC. Not many if any around. So I did purchase a 2GB without HC.

I have 550mb of books and periodicals on my Kindle

Opinions please.

I can say this getting old though.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
I have never seen a 4gb SD (non-HC) card, my understanding was that the maximum is 2gb. Anyway, give it a shot at let us know what happens.

They probably discovered your clippings file is corrupted from the logs. You can copy your clippings file off the Kindle, right? It should be drag n' drop. Try a select-all and paste it into a new text document in Notepad or a similar text-only editor.

It was also my understanding that the Kindle uses no power unless you flip a page. That must not be the case though, because I left it on for about 16 hours and when I picked it up again it was flat-out dead. The battery indicated about 20% left when I set it down. I suspect the battery meter isn't very accurate.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Well, I have an 8GB SDHC card in my Kindle 1 and I'm not having battery problems. Now that I have a Kindle 2, it's my primary reader and the K1 is my back-up.

I turn it on every few days to download new books I've purchased. I leave Whispernet off until I need to download. It's been off the charger for a few days and is still about 85-90% full.

I'm surprised the new battery didn't work. I don't have an answer for you but I'm curious as to how long you've had your K1? Did the battery gradually get worse or did it happen very quickly?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Richie
Richie began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm surprised the new battery didn't work. I don't have an answer for you but I'm curious as to how long you've had your K1? Did the battery gradually get worse or did it happen very quickly?
Had the Kindle since July 08. Battery life started to degrade in December. It took 3 months to get a replacement battery. I have followed Kindle and charge it at about 50%.

It seems like Kindle tech just through all the mud up agaist the wall. They don't realy know themselves and want me to try everything they can think of.

Last edited by Richie; 04-15-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Had the Kindle since July 08. Battery life started to degrade in December. It took 3 months to get a replacement battery. I have followed Kindle and charge it at about 50%.

It seems like Kindle tech just through all the mud up agaist the wall. They don't realy know themselves and want me to try everything they can think of.
You're still under warranty. Maybe you should push for a replacement.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlawBiker View Post
It was also my understanding that the Kindle uses no power unless you flip a page. That must not be the case though, because I left it on for about 16 hours and when I picked it up again it was flat-out dead. The battery indicated about 20% left when I set it down. I suspect the battery meter isn't very accurate.
The _screen_ uses no power unless you flip a page. The CPU is still running in the background. For example, it could be indexing.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
Yeah I understand it takes power just to keep the OS running and the memory populated. But I didn't think it took THAT much. The power meter usually indicates 100% full for a long time, then when it begins to degrade it does so quickly. I get a few weeks between charges, which seems normal.

Greg
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Do you ever see one of those poorly-formatted ebooks with the monospace font that has every word at the right margin hypenated and then continues on the next line? Kindle doesn't like those. It will index them over and over again endlessly until it drains your battery.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
atmilb
atmilb began at the beginning.

I've experienced problems lately with my battery not holding charge for more than a couple of days (without Whispernet turned of) but now the bigger problem is the "tracking" wheel seems to have a mind of it's own. Very sluggish and jumps around with attemping to navigate.

Anbody experience the same?
atmilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
I also use an 8GB HCSD, by Sandisk, with no battery issues whatsoever. Could it be the manufacture of the card? Perhaps off label?
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote