Notices

Old 10-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
kpfeifle
Enthusiast
kpfeifle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300- Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Price?

Hi All:

I know this is all guess work since we don't work for Amazon...but if you had to guess: Do you think we will see any price reductions (or deals) on the Kindle between now and Christmas?

Kevin
kpfeifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It would make sense now that the new Sony will be out at the end of the month. It couldn't hurt to wait a bit. The only thing you'll be losing is reading time.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think there may be some "discount" price for x'mas, but I think it will not be big drop on the price.

Let's see
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfeifle View Post
Hi All:

I know this is all guess work since we don't work for Amazon...but if you had to guess: Do you think we will see any price reductions (or deals) on the Kindle between now and Christmas?

Kevin
With Sony making a real splash in the marketplace right now, you would think that Amazon would be coming up with something competitive as an answer. It will be interesting to see what they do.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I know this is all guess work since we don't work for Amazon...but if you had to guess: Do you think we will see any price reductions (or deals) on the Kindle between now and
My guess would be that we'll see the Kindle at $299 before the holidays. But it is just a guess.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
hoping for a black friday special..thinking of getting my mom one for Christmas so we can share books again
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
With Sony making a real splash in the marketplace right now,

Other than a few isolated announcements, I wouldn't describe it as a real splash.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #8
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
With Sony making a real splash in the marketplace right now, you would think that Amazon would be coming up with something competitive as an answer. It will be interesting to see what they do.
I just came to the Kindle from the Sony Reader world. I decided to buy the Kindle after being disappointed with the Sony announcement. From my experience so far I would say that the Kindle is not only competitive but in my opinion is a better device. I used to scoff at the design of the kindle but now that I have one and have used it extensively for a couple of days I think the layout is actually very good. Its not quite as sleek as the Sony models but the functionality is above and beyond what I had on the Sony.

Some of the main things that I like are being able to use are:

Dictionary lookup. I never realized that I would use this feature so much until I got it. I find my self using it a time or two per reading session.

Whispernet. I love that I now have the ability to use a device without needing to plug it into a PC. Also being a Mac user this makes it all that much better as I no longer need to jump through hoops to track down a Windows PC to buy books from the bookstore.

Highlighting and Notes. Its nice to be able to highlight a passage, add a note and have that available not only in the text of that book but in the My Clippings file on the Kindle.

Samples. Being able to download samples in a moment from the chair that I am sitting in, read a chapter or two and then deciding whether to buy the rest of the book seamlessly without getting up or dumping it right from the device if it doesn't interest me is one of the greatest features.

Long story short, I didn't know what I was missing until I got my own Kindle and used it for a day or two. I would really like to see what they have planned for their next device but I don't think that they are really all that far behind right now if at all.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Hi All:

Kevin
Any other time I would have said 'nah, why should they? They know they have a winner!' However, seeing our economy tank, with no immediate relief in sight, I think Amazon is smart enough to realize that, as much as people might want to buy a Kindle, other expenses will take priority.
I'm betting (like bwaldron)it will hit $299.........maybe lower. I am so glad I got mine in June, right after the price cut. No way could I justify getting one right now.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I'm betting (like bwaldron)it will hit $299.........maybe lower. I am so glad I got mine in June, right after the price cut. No way could I justify getting one right now.
Ok, I hate to make predictions they can always be so wrong. But, I suspect Kindle will not go to $300... With the new $400 Sony out there $359 looks like a good price. If they do anything I think it will be some type of bundling with free books or such.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok, I hate to make predictions they can always be so wrong. But, I suspect Kindle will not go to $300... With the new $400 Sony out there $359 looks like a good price. If they do anything I think it will be some type of bundling with free books or such.

BOb
You could be absolutely right.....its fun to speculate, eh? I guess we just have to wait and see. Any guess as to when, if they do decide to lower the price, they might do it? November 1, perhaps? Thanksgiving weekend?

I, for one, will not feel bad even if it comes down $100. The pleasure I've gotten from my Kindle has no price tag. For me, its perfect as it is. A great e-book reader, e-book downloader, for a fee or free, portable library.
Viva la Kindle!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:02 AM   #12
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:

BOb
Why not Bob, Weather guessers do it all the time, and still get paid when they are wrong.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
With the new $400 Sony out there $359 looks like a good price.
Ah, but Sony will continue to offer the 505 at a lower price. While I may consider $359 to be a good price, the Kindle will be a year old at that point, and we early adopters already have our ebook readers. I expect a price drop to give sales a kick-start for the holidays.

But we shall see...
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote